Search results

1. I

From Austria

Just back from a short trip to Austria and took both of my cameras with me. When I need speed, the 645D just isn't built for that so bird shots will nearly always be done with the Canon. I do find that the Pentax has much better dynamic range than the Canon, although the Canon's inbuilt HDR is...
  2. I

Some from London

From the balcony on the top floor of a building close to Fishmonger's Hall, The Shard with the sun reflecting on to its surface Canon 5D mk III Carl Zeiss 35 f/2 at f/16 1/80 ISO 100 (all shots with same lens and camera) Sunstar-on-the-Shard-in-London by singingsnapper, on Flickr looking at...
  3. I

Great North Swim, Windermere, English Lake District

The Great North Swim finally got underway today on Windermere after being rained off for two days. I grabbed my 5D mk III and my 7D plus a couple of long lenses: 28 - 300L and Tamron 200 - 500. I haven't gone through the 7D shots yet, but here are some from the 5D: Canon 5D mk III Tamron 200 -...
  4. I

Out and about around Chelsea, London

I was in London yesterday for meetings and a party and I took some time between the meetings and the party to take some photos along the Thames. The weather was pretty good unlike today - pouring down here in the Lake District. Canon 5D mk III Carl Zeiss 35 f/2 at f/5.6 1/800 ISO 100...
  5. I

Sunny afternoon on the Gower Peninsula, South Wales

Had family down for a few days so we took them down to the Gower and to Rhosili in particular. There were a number of wild horses and sheep around and the sheep and this horse appear to be having a discussion: Canon 5D mk III Carl Zeiss 35 f/2 at f/11 1/100 ISO 100...
  6. I

Along the sea front in Aberavon, South Wales

The weather hasn't been fantastic in my part of Wales but we have been spared (touches wood) the severe flooding that other parts of the country have suffered. I took a stroll down to the beach with my camera and my new CZ 35mm lens to put it through its paces out and about: Looking towards...
  7. I

Carl Zeiss ZE 35 f/2

This arrived this afternoon just before 1pm UK time: new-toy by singingsnapper, on Flickr From very early playing around it looks supersharp. Need the weather to behave to have a real play and blowing a gale here. More like November than June!
  8. I

Olympic torch relay in Swansea

Treat Trust Wales is a charity for which I support. They are working to introduce a rehabilitation centre for the disabled and people getting over illness in Wales. Melanie Davies is the founder of the charity who was involved in a motorcycle crash at the age of 15 and broke her back and lost...
  9. I

english Lakeland sheep and lambs

The Lake District in England has some hardy sheep, mainly of the Herdwick breed. They are an inquisitive sheep and it was amusing watching the young spring lambs chasing each other across the fields at 9pm running into each other and jumping over each other. Here are some shots of some of the...
  10. I

A few days in the Cotswolds, England UK

My wife and I celebrated our 9th wedding anniversary last week and we spent a few days in the very pretty little village of Painswick. It is a very quiet place indeed - it felt like a Sunday on both Thursday and Friday! This is Painswick's pretty church - quite contrasty so decided to convert...
  11. I

Back in the Lake District

Back in the Lake District and so far (touch wood) the weather is holding out. Took a gentle 12 mile walk yesterday and took over 400 photos giving my 180mm macro a good tryout. Canon 5D mk III EF 24 -70 L at 25mm and f/16 1/25 ISO 160 Brathay-terrace by singingsnapper, on Flickr The...
  12. I

Film is still hard to beat

While my Pentax 645D is in Tokyo being repaired, I gave my 645 lenses a workout in Korea with a few different kinds of film. I don't believe that digital is YET able to completely replicate the effect. Got some film developed and scanned at 15mp in Seoul for the princely sum of £4 each film...
  13. I

An accidental abstract from Seoul

Still in Seoul and one of the venues on this trip is one of the huge department stores they have here in Korea. I took my ultrawide 14mm L lens having a bit of fun with colleagues taking off beat portraits - never flattering but good fun nonetheless. On one shot, I forgot that the lens was on...
  14. I

Korean Gent in traditional dress

Korean gentleman dressed in traditional dress called a Hanbok. He looked very distinguished, and having worn one myself (the maker tried to convince me to have a pink one as pink is a very popular colour in Korea for men) they are comfortable especially on hot days. Canon 5D mk III EF 24 - 70L...
  15. I

In Seoul

I am being very fortunate with my travels this last few weeks and am getting more and more colour from glorious sunshine and warm temperatures while the UK shivers and is soaked. I arrived in Seoul yesterday after a long flight via Helsinki. After a good night's sleep, I took a wander over to...
  16. I

Birds with attitude

I don't often take photos of birds, but I have seen lots of character in a wide range of birds today from Ducks to Ravens to Robins. A lot of birds by Windermere are getting rather 'frisky' and some poor female ducks are getting jumped by 6 drakes at a time! Sorry there's so many but I...
  17. I

Back in the Lake District and a glorious morning!

Back up again and the weather is glorious in the early morning clouding over later, Managed to get myself out of bed at 5.30 this morning with a sunrise time of 6.11. This was taken about 6.40. Canon 5D mk III EF 24 - 70L at f/16 and 34mm 1/6 ISO 50. Cokin ND8 and grad...
  18. I

Easter in Austria

As a family group we went to Kufstein in Western Austria for Easter. I'd been in Kufstein the year last year and loved the area. Here are a few photos from the trip. On a damp first day we visited the castle This is the view of the main church from the lower part of the castle. Canon 5D mk...
  19. I

I don't normally do a lot of macro....

...but I like the sharpness of macro lenses. I have been playing with my new 100mmL macro though: I'm finding macro work quite fascinating. None of these are technical masterpieces or anything but just me getting to know it a little better: Canon 5D mk III EF 100 f/2.8L macro at f/7.1 1/640...
  20. I

A seagull waits for a train

While on my way back from Cardiff to get my mac looked at, and buying the new macro lens I spotted this seagull who looked to be waiting for a train: Canon 5D mk III EF 100 f/2.8L Macro at f/7.1 1/250 ISO 400 seagull-waiting-for-train by singingsnapper, on Flickr He seems to be looking for...