Search results

1. Jonathan Thill

EOS R7 - will there be an update that corrects autofocus issues?

Thanks have clearly gone through to many bodies since 2018:) Guess my result improvement was just placebo. Cheers
  2. Jonathan Thill

EOS R7 - will there be an update that corrects autofocus issues?

Some of the issues with AF I have seen remind me when I went from my EOS R to the R5. The images I was getting with the 45MP R5 were not as sharp as what I was used to on my EOS R, 6D or even my 7D. I recall being frustrated by this because when I was getting sharp images on the R5 they looked...
  3. Jonathan Thill

Canon Firmware Updates – EOS R6, R6 II, R7: Better Touchscreen Operations

Thanks for the link, I tend to avoid the main Japanese site and instead download from Canon Singapore (I find the English translation is better) if I want to be on the cutting edge of the release window. We are spoiled for choice on where to download Canon's files. I simply found it amusing...
  4. Jonathan Thill

Canon Firmware Updates – EOS R6, R6 II, R7: Better Touchscreen Operations

I got a notice of the new firmware for the R7 from Canon Canada but the file is not posted :D
  5. Jonathan Thill

Canon releases firmware v1.4.1 for the EOS R3

Yeah - https://www.canonrumors.com/forum/threads/r3-firmware-1-4-released.42206/#post-959668
  6. Jonathan Thill

R3 Firmware 1.4 Released

Looks like there is a minor firmware for the R3 to 1.4.1 Firmware version 1.4.1 incorporates the following functional improvements and fixes. Adds support for Speedlite EL-5.* Adds [Register people priority] to the camera menu. Pre-registered people can now be detected and tracked with...
  7. Jonathan Thill

It’s time to fill those memory cards. Canon releases firmware v1.8.1 for the Canon EOS R5. 400mp stills are now possible

I thought it was included for the R3 - Maybe I am missing something @neuroanatomist From Canon Canada's site: Firmware Version 1.4.0 incorporates the following enhancements and fixes: 1. Adds support for Speedlite EL-5.* *The automatic light intensity adjustment of the AF-assist beam is not...
  8. Jonathan Thill

Canon releases firmware v1.4.0 for the Canon EOS R3

These features seem interesting to me: Adds [Register people priority] to the camera menu. Pre-registered people can now be detected and tracked with priority.** ** This feature may not operate if faces are too small to detect, in profile or turned at an angle or partially hidden; for scenes...
  9. Jonathan Thill

End of an era, DPReview.com will shut down next month

Sucks for the staff, but not really unexpected. The Camera market being what it is means this will likely not be the last place to fade to black.
  10. Jonathan Thill

Canon lays out their corporate strategy

I always like Beta, was sad when it became clear they had lost the battle for the consumer market. Still have an old Sanyo Beta system and some 80's movies in storage. :D While I understand your point I do think it is a bit of a leap to to compare the two. Canon are not preventing anyone from...
  11. Jonathan Thill

Beta Max, MINI DISC.... The list of crap that Sony has pulled over the years is staggering. They are not more open because they want to be, they are more open in an attempt to gain market share. How is Canon protecting their HIGH end video line when shipping a $1500 USD camera that shoots 4K...
  12. Jonathan Thill

Shutters wear out? Wow who would have guessed;) Anyway, the longer warranty appears to be the result of changes to consumer protection laws and not really a direct marketing scheme on Canon's part. My point is not to debate the usefulness of warranties. I was simply pointing out that in order...
  13. Jonathan Thill

The longer warranties appear to be a result of changes to consumer protection laws in Australia that came into effect in 2019.
  14. Jonathan Thill

Funny how so many Aussie's seem to forget that they also get 5 years of Canon factory warranty, 3 more years then the Sony glass in Australia. Are the 3 years of extra coverage worth the price difference? Hard to say really but 5 years vs 2 years really does expose Canon to some pretty high...
  15. Jonathan Thill

Canon to release major firmware update for the Canon EOS R5

100% agree The guy has the same "contacts" as you and I, he reads Canon Rumors... Being VERY cynical he has always struck me as cheap knock off of Sandy Rivers from How I met your Mother. Sandy Rivers Segment - "In todays paper" Where he literally reads from todays paper:)
  16. Jonathan Thill

Show your Bird Portraits

A few shots from my local pond using the R3 and the 100-500 Song Sparrow Golden Crowned Sparrow Male - Wood Duck Female - Wood Duck
  17. Jonathan Thill

R7 Continuous Focusing

Disable Preview AF on page 3 of the AF menu. I have no idea why Canon decided to rename Continuous AF to Preview AF...
  18. Jonathan Thill

Canon releases firmware v1.3.0 for the EOS R7

Upgraded to 1.3.0 without issue. Best advice: Format the card you are going to use to update in the Camera first. Remove Card from Camera. Using a card reader copy the firmware to the cards root. Remove any attached lens before doing the upgrade. Make sure to have a full Canon official...