Search results

1. T

Correction: Canon is bringing us an RF 24-105mm f/4-7.1 IS STM Macro

I think the disconnect may be because of the mixing and matching of terms from two different areas. There's the "photography" terms that we're all used to (and most just use only those) and then there are the "engineering" and "physical terms." They're not easily mixed and matched. For...
  2. T

Answer: 100mm lens, aperture F1.4, same shutter and ISO. The best way to think about it is this. In *any* camera, the exposure is based on *only* three things: shutter speed, ISO, and F-Stop. It is a "standard" and "universal" exposure across all cameras for those three settings. Focal...
  3. T

I think you're getting caught up in the "physics" and engineering part of this. The beauty of the "F-stop" is that it is universal across all sensor sizes and lenses. Manufacturers design the size of the lens elements and aperture to produce consistent exposure at the same exposure settings...
  4. T

Let's also keep in mind that it's not an F7.1 lens. It's a variable aperture lens with an F7.1 max aperture at some point in the zoom range, that we currently have no idea where that is. If the lens is F4 from 24 -50mm, F5.6 though 70mm, and only gets into the narrower apertures at the...
  5. T

Thank you. I was about to write the same thing. When referring to one lens being "faster" than another, there is no "equivalent" aperture that is calculated for a Full Frame vs APS-C. The aperture is the aperture. F7.1 is always slower than F5.6 regardless of the sensor size. By "slower"...
  6. T

It’s been a while, but an APS-C equipped EOS R body gets another mention [CR2]

Moon, handheld with Canon M6, EF 400mm F5.6L at F5.6, 1/1250th, ISO 400. (y)(y)
  7. T

Yep, I agree entirely, and your 5-year-out scenarios are pretty much how I would envision it as well. Of the two options, I personally would prefer option #1 (with EF-M representing for APS-C) because I love the tiny lenses, and even with a very small R-body, I don't think you'd be able to...
  8. T

Agreed. I wasn't referring to a 7D equivalent, but rather the concept of an APS-C RF mount in general. If current EVF technology is considered "inadequate" for fast-moving wildlife, sports, BiF, etc., then I would expect this new rumored APS-C RF mount would not be meant as a mirrorless...
  9. T

It would be under the assumption they would create "RF-S" lenses for it, that I would call it a line. I guess they could do what you suggest and just expect people to use EF / RF glass at 1.6x crop, or adapted EF-S, but I wasn't thinking they'd go in that direction.
  10. T

I generally tend to agree. Having a: * EF mount full-frame mirrored line (in at least two segments (1D and 5D, plus the desired 7DIII) * EF mount APS-C mirrored line (in two segments, 90D and Rebel series) * R mount full-frame mirrorless line * R mount APS-C mirrorless line * EF-M mount APS-C...
  11. T

Absolutely! I use M-glass on my M6 a lot, but my favorite lens on it is actually a 400mm F5.6L. There's a lot of wildlife around where I live, I can walk around holding the lens by the barrel, and the camera just hangs there like a tiny little deck of cards. I love it, and the extra reach of...
  12. T

Understood. I was primarily responding to the thoughts on potentially picking up an M-series camera as a lightweight addition to your gear. I was just saying, "Go for it!" I have no idea what Canon plans for the future. I look at the current offerings and buy what works for me today.
  13. T

Agreed. I have an RP and an M6. They are both excellent cameras, and they complement each other perfectly. While the RP is certainly smaller and lighter than my previous 5D series, it's still not the same as carrying an M6. Like you mention, the M series is perfect for when you want the...
  14. T

Canon EOS-1D X Mark III Summary

I'm not saying the new OVF based PDAF is not excellent and a leap forward compared to previous generations. I'm actually pleased to see the new head and face tracking via OVF. My original post was in response to some other commenters who seemed unclear as to the distinction between AF via OVF...
  15. T

That statement, to the casual reader, makes it sound like you will get relatively equal focus performance, functionality and frame coverage in OVF vs Live View. I would not agree with that statement.
  16. T

@Michael Clark This was just some background for those not as familiar with the difference between how AF works in mirrored vs mirrorless cameras. (I'm just posting because I saw your "haha" icon and I wasn't sure if my original post came off as trying to be funny?) I think it's an...
  17. T

Show your Bird Portraits

Those cormorant photos are spectacular!
  18. T

Canon officially announces the Canon EOS-1D X Mark III

Beautiful photo. Really spectacular! Yep, understood. I was just tossing another alternative into the mix with mirrorless, since you were seeking some input. I was in the same boat regarding AF challenges as I was trying to figure out the best way to focus on the wildest creature of them...
  19. T

Canon officially announces the Canon EOS-1D X Mark III

Right, what I'm suggesting, since autofocus seems to be one of your primary considerations, is that you wait for the pro-level R mount camera that many people are expecting to be announced (hopefully) sometime soon. The 1-series is excellent for those that need an optical viewfinder for fast...