Search results

1. B

The first SIGMA RF lens arrives in July, more in Q4 of 2024

OK Sigma, now how about a light weight 50-135 f/2.8 DC DN?
  2. B

A Look into Canon’s Ergonomics

I'm at an age where I want smaller and especially lighter camera bodies. I purchased an R7 and R6-2 and stopped using my 7D, 5D3 and 5Ds because they feel like bricks now. I had used the 5D3 and 7D for a decade. And, yes, I have small hands.
  3. B

Canon’s corporate strategy for 2024 released

Are you using the R7/50 1.2 for portraits? Whenever I read/hear corporate PR, I ask myself "Who is this intended to manipulate and what do they want the reader/listener to believe?"
  4. B

Canon EOS R5 Mark II Specifications

Any word on a high resolution composite mode, done better than in the R5?
  5. B

Canon has discontinued the battery grip BG-R10 for the EOS R5, EOS R6 and EOS R6 Mark II

I agree. However, I did buy them for my 7D and 5D3 when I tore the rotator cuff in my right shoulder. After I recovered from the surgery, I took them off and never used them again.
  6. B

Canon EOS R1 Specifications [CR2]

If you're cheap like me, you can use an R7. Its pixel size scales up to 83MP FF, almost exactly the same as the OM-1.
  7. B

You're not being imaginative enough. 30MP at 120FPS, right? Now add a composite high resolution mode using sophisticated sensor movement, four times the resolution at 1/4 the speed. Would 120MP at 30FPS be good enough? However, the current R5 system and the 80MP mode in the OMD OM-1 don't...
  8. B

But have you ever been told that you "have a tenuous grip on reality"? If some of the people on this website behaved at work like they do here, I'm pretty sure they would be fired. I suppose Craig needs the clicks.
  9. B

Marketing research isn't quite that simple and it certainly isn't that precise. You say "pro shooters in the intended market WANTED the resolution around here". Actually some percentage of them want 30MP and superior high ISO behavior, some percentage want 45MP and some percentage want a global...
  10. B

I agree with you...kind of. I own both a 5D3 and 5DS. I typically use the 5DS at M2 image quality (22MP) and can't really tell the difference between the two. However, the 5D3 seems better above ISO3200. I bought the 5DS on the day that Canon lowered the price by 65%.
  11. B

Single Instruction Multiple Data, otherwise known as SIMD. Look it up!
  12. B

Then Canon introduced the 5D2 with the same pixel count as the 1Ds3 and the market for the 1Ds3 disappeared. A local camera store ended up selling their two1Ds3 bodies on ebay. Nikon had a comparable model, the D3X, that they replaced with a less rugged body and 50% more pixels but selling for...
  13. B

Noted. However, my guess is that the image processors in cameras are massively parallel.
  14. B

On the other hand, when the R3 was first introduced and somebody wanted 30MP, I pointed out that "24MP gives a 20" x 30" print at 200 pixels/inch. That is good enough for me and I would prefer sensor development emphasize other areas." I agree that 30 or 40FPS is quite adequate for most...
  15. B

Go to Wikipedia and look up "SIMD" or "Single Instruction Multiple Data". Note its applicability to graphics processing.
  16. B

The Canon EOS R1 will come well before the EOS R5 Mark II [CR3]

I've mentioned recurring vs non-recurring expenses here before. Firmware development is non-recurring. Once the algorithms have been developed and libraries created, it can be reused a relatively low cost. It looks like some of the nifty stuff is firmware and can be used in lesser cameras. It...
  17. B

Preferably 2 or 3 years before release. The problem with that then is they are potential customers. Actually, the QC manager was talking about after the sale complaining. There is a spec rumor floating around: 30MP, 120FPS, 6.7K 60FPS. That sounds thoroughly believable.
  18. B

I once knew a QC manager who wrote that it was the good customers who complained. The bad customers never said a word and just disappeared so you never knew what you had done wrong and what you had to do to get them back.
  19. B

You can't be serious! Sure, there's conjecture but there's a lot of history. Go to DPReview and read Barney Britton's description of the D3 introduction.
  20. B

Canon has been the largest Japanese camera company since before 1970. (So the introduction of the original F-1 didn't surprise the editors of Modern Photography.) Canon has had enormous inertia for a very long time and management during that time hasn't been able to screw it up.