Search results

1. T

Canon Announces the EF 70-200mm f/2.8L IS III and EF 70-200mm f/4L IS II

Was expecting to see the newer f2.8 shed a little weight as Canon has done with all the latest "white lens" upgrades but it seems they have only shed a mere 50g (1440g vs 1490g/3.17lbs vs 3.28lbs.)
  2. T

New Canon 70-200mm Lenses Coming in Early June [CR3]

The 70-200 2.8 IS II is hard to beat for photo quality as-is. I suspect Canon will be producing this as a lighter lens as they have done with the big whites - weight is the only "flaw" I can find with the vII.
  3. T

Stock Photography--Anyone Have Experience?

Do your research through the various contributor sites - how much they pay, etc. Not going to offer what to contribute - best you browse these sites and you can see the top performers and judge for yourself what sells best. What I can tell you is there is a bit of work and time required for the...
  4. T

Florida in Summer for Wildlife

Florida is a big state! Where in Florida . . .
  5. T

Post Process Formal Group

Khristo, I think you did a fine job - these group shots are tougher than most people are aware, especially outdoors like this. As for your processing, I think it's fine as is (exposure, saturation, contrast.) My only comment is, when doing these I am always coaching the kids in the back to get...
  6. T

For birds: 500 f/4L II or ?

For BIF I do not believe you will see any advantage using a 100-400 v2 versus the excellent 400 5.6 you already own? Several here have already chimed in stating the IS offers little for BIF situations. The 100-400 v2 lens is excellent, but your reason to purchase it should be for it's 100-400...
  7. T

What were your first Canons? Analog and or digital?

My first SLR was a Minolta XE-7 (circa 1975) which essentially was Minolta's competitor to the AE-1. Minolta's Rokkor lenses were quite good and I had the kit 50mm 1. something. When autofocus became mainstream I added the Canon Elan II and would carry both - B+W in the Minolta and Color in the...
  8. T

This "Portrait" Background and Lighting?

You need to strive for a 3 light ability - this will allow you to do almost anything using all 3 or less. If you do not want to invest in monolights/kit (which can be found at random times on craigslist for cheap), then you need to get modifiers for your speedlights. The simplest and cheapest...
  9. T

People enjoying sailing, boating, jet skiing etc.

Graham, I have a ton of these but I recently off-loaded many of my photos to external hard drives and only have a few on my computer now. Here's a couple of the foilers . . .
  10. T

People enjoying sailing, boating, jet skiing etc.

One more . . .
  11. T

Photographing bears in Alaska - Brooks Falls

We went out of Homer Spit - forgot the name but all seem to be good. Float planes . . .
  12. T

My five generations of Canon bodies.

My first SLR was Minolta's XE-7 (a competitor to the AE-1 that John Newcomb used to hawk on TV) which I still have. When autofocus came about, a friend had the Canon Elan which he let me use and I loved it. When I decided to buy one for myself, the Elan II was available. I used to carry the...
  13. T

RRS enters the fray - QD strap + plate

Aside from some fear of scratching one's camera body with all the nearby metal clips which has already been noted - the biggest negative I see here is the attachment section to the camera does not slide on the strap! This means the whole over-the-shoulder strap must move when raising your...
  14. T

Canon flash

Re: Canon TTL flash what could be worse ? I have had excellent success with ETTL from my 580EXii when it stays in ETTL mode! I would check your flash LCD and verify it is staying in ETTL when you are actually ready to fire. My flash, and many others on blogs, seems to suffer a defect within the...
  15. T

Show us your Hooters (Owls)

Love this thread . . . Horned and Burrowing Owls, SoFla.
  16. T

YN-622C and 580EX II MAJOR issues

Not sure if you have isolated the problem as being the triggers or the flash? Does the flash work OK when mounted directly to the hotshoe - all the time? The 580 EXII has a history of going in and out of ETTL randomly - and the problem from most reasonable accounts seems to be loose wiring...
  17. T

Carnivores in the Wild

It was one of those things - travelled all day to get to Alaska, another float plane trip to get to where these bears are, a mile hike to the falls, 1-1/2hrs waiting and only 1 or 2 salmon jump, leave the falls for a while, then determined to get that shot I hike back to the falls and wait...
  18. T

Carnivores in the Wild

Thanks!