Search results

1. axtstern

The day the Canon Grinch stole the OS/VC

So Tamron and Sigma got some RF licences. Looks like there are boundaries. Everyone complains that they are not FF but I don't need that anyway... but where is the OS or VC? I mean only IBIS ?
  2. axtstern

People here often say the XXX is in the wild... here's my contribution

Is this a 200-800 and does he have spare pants?
  3. axtstern

Question about EOS R behaviour

I'll go on a china trip tomorrow and was in need of a full frame reserve body. Did not want to spent to much money so I bought an EOS R (which here in Germany together with the 24-105 non L glas is currently sold cheaper than the R8, RP or R6 without any lenses) Maybe I'm spoiled form my R7 but...
  4. axtstern

Thoughts on the folly of buying an exciting camera of the future but then being stuck in the past.

When the original R came out on the market I was tempted to buy one but since the extinct age of the Canon IX and the APS format and having bought and sold the M, M3 and M5 I learned the lesson never to pay Canon for the privilege of joining a product line they might abandon soon after. Besides...
  5. axtstern

My Meike 85mm Rf has arrived...

So after just 2 weeks my Meike 85mm 1.8 RF has arrived. one sentence written here before holds true: So why I bought this lens: Reason number 1 It is a blockade runner. Canon does not like to share the cake…. All hail the brave Meike may many more RF AF lenses come from you and in the mean...
  6. axtstern

R7 and the Viltrox Speedbooster

Yesterday was Chinese new year and I took the chance to test the Viltrox Speedbooster and my R7 in a difficult but controlled setting If been at this specific event now for several years and so I know what to expect: Un-numbered seats and arriving late, so no chance to get an optimal...
  7. axtstern

The importance of clean lens contacts in the R environment

Hi folks, this topic might be related to another thread in regard to R cameras freezing up. I have quiet a large lens collection, only two of them are RF Lenses all others are EF lenses. A big part of my collection are lenses 10 to 30 years old and I happily torture my new R7 with them to find...
  8. axtstern

R Series Rear Lenscap

Am I the only one who starts to hate the new rear lenscap design? I fiddle arround with it in daylight but I get desperate in low light situations, meanwhile I just throw the lenses without a cap in the bag if under pressure. Almost ironic fact: The R rear lenscaps fit perfectly easy on the EF...
  9. axtstern

R7 is a Game Changer for me

Hello again, long time no see I wanted to share some of my experience with the R7. However before this I need to reintroduce myself. Last time I posted here Neuro could still store all his camera bags in one room, Suprapon taught us good behavior and Angkorwat the opposite. The Queens English...
  10. axtstern

Question for the techies: EOS R with one of the adapters = full usage of APS C lenses like Sigma 50-100 1:1.8 ?

Sure the 28-70 1:2.0 sounds nice but for the beginning I would like to go with the Sigma 1.8 Zooms I own. Any chance of the EOS R and it's flange distance being the vehicle to make all my APS C lenses full frame capable?
  11. axtstern

Bring these two dull products together and get my money

Ebay is recently flooded with EF to EOS M speedboosters. Made to poorest standards and not having any electronics inside they are probably a step backwards.... But they show it can be done. Why is no real fine optics company jumping on the train to build a quality speedbooster with full lens...
  12. axtstern

In praise of what we Germans call "Edelschrott"

Before you have to Google it.. Edelschrott translating it by the letter means (Noble Trash) From time to time I read here about the issues thse have that take Pictures at Events or concerts. Using fast primes and Feeling the Need to Change lenses rather often. My drill in past was to take of...
  13. axtstern

S.O.S where can I get a spare part for my EOS 1 MK4

Good evening folks, can someone point me to an affordable source for the EOS 1D Mark 4 rubber cover you can (not) see in the picture? (Companies which send over seas by mail are fine as I live in Germany)
  14. axtstern

Thank you Luminar

So today 2 years of being crumpy about Adobes rental system and 2 years of bitching about the slowness of Lightroom are over. The answer is Luminar. Bought it pre sales style downloaded it yesterday and played with it today. Than I went back to Lightroom and marveled how lightning fast suddenly...
  15. axtstern

M5 ==> best way of focus control since EOS 5 non D

I had heard people on this forum talking about the feature that the focus of M5 can be controlled while looking through the viewfinder using the tumb on touchscreen... Best thing since the 5 eyeball selected AF points of my good old EOS 5 For those who can't understand why the companies with...
  16. axtstern

Lady Tamron is a cruel mistress

I have tried so hard to fall in love with the Tamron 18-200 for the EOS M When I bought it hit the market at the same time like the 55-200 from Canon. The Canon was plastic all down to the bayonet, the Tamron a steely tank. The Canon zoomed smooth the Tamron had to be worked like squeezing the...
  17. axtstern

paging Dr Neuro..... new patient has arrived

Found this at a shop in.wukesong. Must be leggit ?
  18. axtstern

Useless lenses you fell in love with

Today I banned the lens I loved the most from my gear bag into the vitrine in which I keep this lenses which I'm proud to own but somehow never use. Do you guys have also such a waiting room for the lens heaven candidate? The lens I abandoned today is the Sigma 50-100 1.8 I admire Sigma for...
  19. axtstern

IS the way forward

The M6 has been anounced with build in ditional IS. Since the original M I was waiting for an M with build in viewfinder and now that it exists I am not sure if I should skip it and get an M that would add real value to my Sigma Art lenses which do not have OS and of course which would be...
  20. axtstern

Is there a cheap LED camera light which eats Canon LPB6 instead of the Sony

Folks I need some advice. I want to buy a something like the Yongnuo 300 LED Video Lamp. There are plenty of models arround but all are tailored for the typical Sony Camcorder batteries. I do not want to buy and carry another type of batteries and loader, I have plenty of LPB6. Does anyone know...