Search results

1. R1-7D

Upcoming 2024 Canon RF lens recap

*Sigh... apparently, I need more coffee. I initially read the thread title as "Upcoming 2024 Canon RF lens cap" and thought: At last! They’re improving the rear RF lens cap! Then I re-read the title. Oh well...
  2. R1-7D

Canon Executive interview at CP+ 2024

I disagree. In my view, he was pretty clear.
  3. R1-7D

Canon Executive interview at CP+ 2024

They also talk about the R1 and it being an Olympic year at the end of the article; from my reading, it was strongly suggested that certain photographers already have the camera and are getting acclimated to it for use at the Olympics. Also, since some people are still holding onto hope for a...
  4. R1-7D

Canon has discontinued the battery grip BG-R10 for the EOS R5, EOS R6 and EOS R6 Mark II

The R6 Mark II doesn't have the smart controller, whereas this rumour suggests that the R5 Mark II will. If the rumour is true, then I would bet Canon will make two new grips -- an updated grip for the R6 Mark II, and a new grip for R5 Mark II with smart controller. Otherwise, it would be odd...
  5. R1-7D

Canon’s 2024 Roadmap, and the timeline surprised us [CR3]

Well, I, for one, have some good news… I just saved a bunch of money on my car insurance by switching to Geico. :)
  6. R1-7D

Canon EOS R1 prototypes are in the wild [CR3]

As did I with my 1DX-series cameras. In addition to the greater post-processing latitude of the current sensors, I've also found that the electronic viewfinder exposure simulation further mitigates my needs for spot metering link to the AF points; now I simply adjust my exposure compensation...
  7. R1-7D

Rumored Canon EOS R1 EVF specifications [CR1]

I would think the variable refresh rate would save power, depending on how it's implemented. The iPhone and iPad Pro's variable refresh rate comes to mind...
  8. R1-7D

The Canon EOS R5 Mark II is closer to a reality than Canon’s claims

The R5 has best in class dynamic range. That’s not good enough for you?
  9. R1-7D

The Canon EOS R5 Mark II is closer to a reality than Canon’s claims

I've had the exact opposite experience with Eye-Control AF. For me, it's simply been incredible and I'd really question purchasing another camera without it. I've used it for events, portraiture, and wildlife and have nothing but praise. I've even called CPS to express my enthusiasm for it...
  10. R1-7D

Eye-controlled AF is coming to more EOS R cameras, but you’ll have to be patient

To me, this is a big deal. After having the R3 for some time, if, for example, the R1 were to launch without Eye-Control AF, I might skip it and continue to rely on the R3. The benefits of this technology cannot be understated for certain shooting situations. I've used it for shooting wildlife...
  11. R1-7D

New 1DX Mark II Owner - Is This Dirty Sensor Normal?

All the 1DX series camera have this problem. I used to send both my 1DX and 1DX Mark II in multiple times a year for cleaning. If you're a general shooter who uses the camera for landscape and/or macro work with the lens aperture stopped down, you will absolutely notice the oil splatter from...
  12. R1-7D

The Canon EOS R5 Mark II coming in Q2, 2023? [CR2]

Seems logical at this point to say that an R5 Mark II will come sooner rather than later. Perhaps I am wrong, but I think it would be strange for Canon to not update one their most, if not THE most, recognized mirrorless camera in their lineup with at least the new hot shoe to keep it in line...
  13. R1-7D

EOS R3 Firmware Update Version 1.3.0

Hopefully Canon will do a more substantial update later that will add new subject tracking modes like on the R6 Mark II.
  14. R1-7D

Factory cover on R3 displays?

No film covering on mine, as well.
  15. R1-7D

Here is the Canon EOS R6 Mark II & Canon RF 135mm f/1.8L IS USM

Pretty sure I can see the new hot shoe in the photos... You might want to look again.
  16. R1-7D

EOS R3 eye-focus training: do it at least 10 times/rotation

That’s funny!
  17. R1-7D

I find it extremely advantageous for such situations. If there are, say, two or three perched birds sitting on a branch, I can use Eye Control AF to quickly focus on each of them without moving my hands or the camera. In other words, I can keep my framing and quickly choose my subject(s) without...
  18. R1-7D

Save $40 on the brand new Topaz Photo AI software, which brings popular tools into one package

Alan is on the money here with his review. At the moment, Photo AI is too slow and buggy to be able to replace the standalone Topaz apps in my opinion.
  19. R1-7D

If Eye Control is already on while I’m capturing stationary birds and one of them suddenly takes off, it takes too much time to toggle Eye Control off. Therefore, being able to accurately keep up with the bird is useful.
  20. R1-7D

I've done the training a bunch of times, all in different lighting situations, and I am happy to report that the Eye Control AF is very accurate for me. I'm easily able to use it for selecting between different subjects, like a bunch of birds grouped together, and I can even use it for some...