Search results

1. L

Interview: Talking with Canon about the EOS R system and its future

"The number of pixels itself is the same as EOS 5D Mark IV, but the sensor itself is newly developed. The content has changed a lot, such as adoption of a new dual pixel CMOS AF and arrangement of microlenses according to EOS R system. " really? it's the same old tech, adjusting the angle of a...
  2. L

Canon officially announces the Canon EOS R system

@miketcool " A few Sony A series cameras allow a full sensor readout where the processor either compresses info, or samples a few pixels instead of all of them. This leaves you with video that is noisy and not sharp. It’s not turned on by default and Sony sets a 1.5x crop factor for video. Even...
  3. L

Starting the new fast zoom at 28mm is a bit of a bummer, having 24mm is awfully nice. Maybe they will also come out with say an f/2.8 one that does 24mm-70mm? It does seem that the new mount distance does allow for some potentially superb performance at the edges or for ultra fast lenses.
  4. L

How updated is the sensor? are they finally to the modern age of a Sony sensor or is it still same old low DR Canon as always? Gotta finally be a truly modern sensor no??? At least the video has 10bit external (that is huge) although they still seem afraid to lead the pack. Why not jump ahead...
  5. L

Low Pass Filter?

at this still modest density it's better to have a low pass filter, so it's good that it does
  6. L

Lots of Talk, Very Little Solid Information About Canon's Next Cameras

Yeah, just about every piece of camera gear I purchased from 1986 until recently was Canon, but I finally got sick of their coasting on past laurels BS. I tried for years to warn people that Canon was just gonna deliver blah stuff and that they needing pushing, but got called a troll. When you...
  7. L

Video Capabilities Will Be at the Heart of All Future Canon Prosumer Camera Bodies [CR2]

That might be a smart move. I purchased nothing but Canon (well than for a couple Tamron and one Rokinon lens) from 1986 until a few years ago, but they haven't gotten a dollar from me in a few years now.
  8. L

Magic Lantern Gets 4K Video Working on the EOS 5D Mark III

doing it on your free time with no insider info turns 5+ years of ML time into like 3-4 months of Canon engineering time, if even
  9. L

Canon USA Announces Canon Log Feature Upgrade for the EOS 5D Mark IV

Certainly helps, but should have been there to begin with and then $99.... when a two year old Sony will still produce better quality 4k and who knows what the next one does.... ah well, whatever it's been a few years since I have purchased a single item of any sort from Canon a shame
  10. L

Crop Factor Change for 4K on Canon EOS 5D Mark IV Included in Coming Update & More

Re: HiCrop Factor Change for 4K on Canon EOS 5D Mark IV Included in Coming Update & More although 10bit option would sure be useful, the RAW video on 5D3 that is more like 11-12 bit is a HUGE step up from 8bit, 10bits really is a huge deal compared to 8bits gotta figure a Sony will be out with...
  11. L

Crop Factor Change for 4K on Canon EOS 5D Mark IV Included in Coming Update & More

Re: HiCrop Factor Change for 4K on Canon EOS 5D Mark IV Included in Coming Update & More might actually become useful for video, Sony stuff has just produced so much nicer quality I personally couldn't even be bothered with the 5D4, now if they could just make a version without the special...
  12. L

Lensrentals.com Puts the EF 24-105mm f/4L IS II Through Testing

The 24-70 2.8 II does suffer from focal plane tilt problems and it's very hard to get a uniform copy across the board, probably would need to try at 8-12 copies. But it has insane micro-contrast, it's pretty much APO and reject LoCA amazingly well, it starts super sharp anywhere remotely near...
  13. L

50mm is the weak spot of the 24-70 IS but I find I tend to shoot the least at 50mm which often seems boring on FF and I bet most people shoot 90% near the extremes of the ranges of zooms. I bet 95% of my shots with it were 24mm-35mm or 65-70mm. Of course your mileage may well vary.
  14. L

stop down focus can fight focus shift at close distances and sharpen stuff up
  15. L

I liked my 24-70 f/4 IS until I sold it for a 16-35 IS. I thought it was vastly better than any copy of the 24-105 IS I ever tried, none of which ever cut it for me at the wide end for landscape quality. I was also way pro 24-70 f/4 IS over the 24-105 f/4 IS. The former was a good deal faster in...
  16. L

Phase One Releases Capture One Pro 10

It'll be cool when software starts supporting 10-12bit HDR display editing. The TV size screens are already here to an extent. Hopefully the monitor makes will start putting out OLED HDR monitors, the good makers like Dell Premiere Color, NEC, EIZO, etc.
  17. L

Magic Lantern Cracks the EOS 5D Mark IV

totally different, in that case it was adding 4k to a camera that did 'not' have it 1DC vs 1DX with 1DX2 it already has 4k so ML would just be the same sort of fiddling as with any other body so it would be no different in this case i'm not sure if even the 1DX2 cards are fast enough to...
  18. L

A Focus Peaking Patent from Canon

yeah, I tend to use the 2:1 (2x mag) live zoomed box when using Magic Lantern, that's what works super well
  19. L

More Canon EOS 6D Specifications Talk [CR1]

"but I think most would expect it to be omitted." only because most have become so cynical to think Canon could be so expected to be so utterly absurd
  20. L

Canon Talks Global Shutter and High Dynamic Range

would be cool but the way they talk about it sounds more like expect it in canon ultra high end tens of thousands of dollars movie cameras or ultra-specialty application cameras and maybe in an EOS DSLR in 20 years hope I'm wrong and it's in 5DsMkII next spring though :D (this the high MP and...