Search results

1. EOBeav

Powershot Image Stabilization Question: G9XmkII vs. G7XmkII

Is the video image stabilization engine in the Powershot G9XmkII exactly the same as in the G7XmkII (not III)? I read somewhere that the G7XmkII has a 5-axis system and just wondered if it was also in the G9XmkII. Thank you.
  2. EOBeav

Converting Powershot to IR

I have a Powershot G9XmkII, and was considering converting to IR (720nm). I understand the need to shoot RAW, convert the WB, exchange red/blue channels, etc... and I also understand that a Powershot isn't going to produce the same quality of images as a DSLR with L glass. I thought this might...
  3. EOBeav

Canon 5DmkII AC Adapter alternative

I'm looking for a less expensive, but trustworthy third party AC Adapter for my 5DmkII. Does such a thing exist? $119 USD seems a bit much for something like that, so I thought I'd see what else is out there. Thanks in advance for your feedback.
  4. EOBeav

Canon EF 50mm f/1.8 (1st gen., metal mount)

I'm being gifted a Canon EF 50mm f/1.8, the original model that was introduced in 1987. I'm being told it's in excellent shape, but I'll find out for sure tomorrow. I was very surprised that this is selling for well above even the MSRP of the current 50mm f/1.8 mkII in production. Sold items...
  5. EOBeav

Weird ghosting on film

Here's a question for anybody with some film experience. What's going on here? There's some weird ghosting on top that I can't quite explain. It was shot in a mirror, and a few other similar frames taken in the mirror have that same artifact on the same roll. Why would it show up on here, but...
  6. EOBeav

Shipping film

I don't see a 'film' section on here, so I'll post this here for now. My question is about shipping film for processing in the mail. Where I live, it's fairly hot right now (low to mid 90's F). In case you haven't seen the news Ilford just opened up a processing lab in San Clemente, CA, a...
  7. EOBeav

Conversation with pro re: 50L vs. 50 f/1.4

I attended a wedding over the weekend. While everybody was oohing and ahing over the bride, I of course was oohing and ahing over the fine photographic equipment in use. The photographer duo used 3 5D3's and a 5D2, some Alien Bee's and a bunch of L's. I counted a 70-200 f/2.8, a 24-70, as well...
  8. EOBeav

Canon primes

Note: This post is part rant, part food for thought. Comment as you see fit, but I have no questions to be answered or advice to be given at this time. I currently shoot with mostly L's, including the 70-200 f/4 L, 17-40 f/4 L, and the 135 f/2 L. I also have a 50 f/1.4 in the stable. I'm...
  9. EOBeav

Guess what?

If you're shooting with a 135mm prime lens (non-IS), and your camera max shutter sync speed is only 1/200...that's not a lot of wiggle room.
  10. EOBeav

Breaking a rule here

I'm not normally one to talk about my gear. I just like to show my photos. However, yesterday I scored a really nice used Canon 135mm f/2 L. I rented this lens last December, and putting it back in the box to send it back was very, very difficult to do. It didn't come off my camera that entire...
  11. EOBeav

Purchasing a used 135mm f/2

I've decided to get the EF 135mm f/2 L, and I'd like to get a good one on the used market. I've checked out a couple of the rental places (Lens Rentals, Borrow Lenses), and they don't have any in stock at the moment. I'm not in a great place geographically to be able to look at one locally on...
  12. EOBeav

Scanners

So having shot digital for the last six years or so, I've decided to take a leap into the world of film photography. I know that many of you got your start in that medium. I picked up a Canon Elan 7 and loaded it with a roll of Ilford FP4. I sent the film out for developing/scanning, which ran...
  13. EOBeav

Websites

This question is a bit OT, so apologies if it doesn't belong. I need to create a small, 2-3 page website for a small photography business. I have my own domain/webhosting. I'm familiar with Wordpress inside and out (I've been using it for 8 years now), but it just seems a bit overkill to use for...
  14. EOBeav

White balance for moonlight

What would be a good white balance level for direct moonlight? Assuming no other light sources, of course.
  15. EOBeav

CF card health

I just got back from a trip to the Oregon coast, along with about 450 photos. There were two on my 16G SanDisk (90MB/s) CF card that seemed to be corrupted. They were right next to each other, and they were the only two taken at that particular time. Is this a sign that my CF card is failing, or...
  16. EOBeav

Best lens for this purpose

I've been asked to video/photograph an HO model train set with my 5DmkII. I'm going to need to rent a lens to get it done, though, as I don't think my 50mm f/1.4 is up for the job. I'm guessing some kind of tiltshift lens with a fairly short focusing distance, if there is such a thing, but I...
  17. EOBeav

Bridge not sharp - why?

I have a Canon EF 70-200 f/4 L and a 5DmkII. I've used this setup regularly for awhile now, and I've come across something I can't quite explain. I recently shot this bridge in Oregon. I used a sturdy tripod (Manfrotto ballhead/tripod combo), so stability isn't an issue. Still, several of these...
  18. EOBeav

Question about BH used dept

Apologies if this post is in the wrong forum. I'm getting ready to get a used film slr from the BH used department, and I was just wondering if that y'all's experience was with that venue. Is that protection plan worth adding? Thanks in advance for whatever advice you have.
  19. EOBeav

Question about lighting ratios

I have two strobes set up, each angles 45 degrees horizontally from the subject. Assuming no ambient light, if I shoot one at 1/4 power, and the second at 1/8, is that a 1:2 ratio? I'm assuming it is. If I shoot one strobe at 1/4 power, and the second at 1/16, is that a 1:3 ratio? Sorry...
  20. EOBeav

How do you pack your filters around?

I'm not a big filter guy, but I do have some MCP's and ND filters in various strengths and sizes that I pack around. Probably 8 in all. Their individual cases/holders take up quite a bit of room in my Lowepro 400 AW. Is there an alternate way to pack these around where they won't get scratched...