Search results

1. alexturton

Aquarium- what lens to use

Heading a sea life centre at the weekend. Need advice on what gear to take. debating over 24 f1.4 ii And 24-70 2.8 ii. Plus I'll take my 100 macro. All On 5d3. Not taking a flash. Any views/experience of aquarium shooting? Thanks in advance. Al
  2. alexturton

Carrying Big Telephotos

I use a black rapid sport to carry my 5d3 and sigma 150-600 sport. I recently added the carabiner from the black rapid safety kit the add an extra level of security (see picture) but I'm still nervous that something will give and my camera will come crashing down. Has anyone got any good...
  3. alexturton

Teleconverter crop factor conundrum

I'm considering buying a 1.4tc to go on my 400mm 5.6. I've often wondered, which is better in terms of IQ: Using 400mm (no tc) on 60d? Using 400mm on 5d3 and cropping? Using 400mm on 5d3 with a 1.4tc? These options all yield a similar focal length, but which would give a better overall result...
  4. alexturton

Tamron 150 600 woes

Bought a tamron 150 600 for my 5d3 and 60d. It has AFMA problems (-6 tele, +5 wide) Sent it back for calibration. Came back worse (-15 tele, -5 wide). Gave up and I'm sending it back for refund. Anyone else had problems with this lens?
  5. alexturton

Think tank logistics manger 30

I have a 5d3, 60d and about 10 lenses including tamron 150-600 & canon 70200 2.8 ii Does anyone use the think tank logistics manager 30 for storing DSLR gear at home? I'm thinking this could be a 1 bag fits all solution to store all my lenses and gear but I'm struggling to find many example...
  6. alexturton

AFMA Oddity

I have a question about afma. I have 2 bodies (60d and 5d3). They are both calibrated to be the same and All my lenses need no afma adjustments However I just bought a tamron 150 600. On my 5d3 it appears to near +6 on the tele end and -5 on the wide end. However my 60d seems to be fine...
  7. alexturton

Need a 600mm. Don't want to pay for one

I want a 600mm focal length for zoos on my 5d3 but I can't afford the big canon glass. The options I'm considering are: Tamron 150-600 @ £950 or Sigma 120-300 Sport @ £2500 + a 2x TC I can afford either of these options but not both. My question is, which will be better at 600mm...
  8. alexturton

Chuck a 5dmk iii in a rucksack

I'm looking for something to protect my 5d mk iii (with 24-70 2.8 ii on) so I can carry it in a normal rucksack and be confident that it won't get scratched. Mild splash protection would be ideal but not a necessity. I'm thinking something like a neoprene style wrap (which I've seen lurking...
  9. alexturton

what lenses have you sold in the past and why?

I see lots of posts re: "what should I buy" but I've never seen any on what people have got rid of, and more importantly why. Here is what I've sold in the past and why (in order). Canon 18-135 - was never really impressed with the IQ. Always left me wanting more. sigma 24-70 2.8 (v2) - AF...
  10. alexturton

General purpose zoom for honeymoon

I'm heading on my honeymoon in April to Mauritius for 2 weeks. At home, I shoot 5d mk iii and generally with primes (24L, 35, 50L, 85L, 100L macro and soon to have 135L). I'm thinking of not taking any of those and just buying a general purpose zoom so that: a) Im carrying less stuff (so my...
  11. alexturton

Short term gear insurance UK

Wasn't sure where to post this so apologies if there was a more appropriate place to post this. I'm going on holiday for 2 weeks in may. I was wondering if anyone knew of an insurance company that did short term insurance UK? I'm wanting to cover 5d3 + many lenses and my holiday insurance...
  12. alexturton

Vanguard supreme 53F (or 53D)

Does anyone know of any reviews of the Vanguard 53F or 53D hard case? Any opinions? Sample pictures illustrating how many lenses it can store would be useful. thanks
  13. alexturton

Wrist strap / handgrip recommendation?

I shoot a lot on the street with 5d3 and either 35l, 50l or 85l. I don't like to use my neck strap (or black rapid) because it attracts to much attention. I'm after a wrist or hand strap that is secure. Any recommendations?
  14. alexturton

Canon 50f1.2L weather sealing

Just got me a 50L which in really pleased with. Does anyone know how weather resistant it is? Ie will it withstand light rain, heavy downpour? Anyone seen any conclusive tests on the internet? Any experiences?
  15. alexturton

sigma 15-30

Has anyone tested this lens on full frame? (specifically 5d3) I really want a super wide (something 16mm or wider) but I don't really want to spend to much as generally I only use superwide to exagerate perspective / fun creative shots rather than serious landscape or architecture. I've seen a...
  16. alexturton

Lens storage for checked in luggage

I'm going on holiday next week. I'll be carrying a bunch of lenses in my suitcase which will obviously be checked into the cargo of the plane. I really like the look of the betashell cases but I'm not convinced their available in the UK. Can anyone recommend some good sturdy lens cases...
  17. alexturton

Transcend memory card problems

historically I have always used sandisk extreme cards (both SD and CF) as I've never had any problems. Recently I won a competition and got a 32gb TRanscend UHS SD card for free. I put it in my rx100 and so far it has failed on me 3 times either: not being recognised deleting all images on the...
  18. alexturton

Holiday packing help

I'm going on holiday to feurtaventura in a few weeks. Just a standard beach holiday plus we might go to the zoo. I'm having trouble deciding what to take to cover most bases. This is my kit. 5d3 24 1.4 35 1.4 40mm pancake 50 1.4 85 1.2 100 macro l 70 200 2.8 1.4x tc 120 400 60d 17 55 1020...
  19. alexturton

canon 16-35ii or sigma 12-24 ii

I'm after a wide angle lens for FF 5d3. I already have canon 24mm 1.4 so I'm not to concerned with low light shooting at wide apertures. I'm after it to use pretty much at the wide end, although decent performance performance at the long end wouldn't be go unmixed. Want to use for it...
  20. alexturton

canon 50mm 1.4 vs 1.2

I own the 1.4 and have been coveting the 1.2 for a while. I've just seen a mint condition 1.2 second hand for a decent price. I mainly shoot street and family photos. pretty much exclusively @ widest aperture so I would be buying the 1.2 to shoot @ 1.2 does anyone have an opinion on whether...