Search results

1. jdramirez

Was my tripod at fault at all?

I took a set of portraits yesterday, and for the most part I was pleased... but we were situated on a basketball court, and when someone would walk or more, the camera would shake just a little. Otherwise... I think I did a solid job avoiding contact with the camera, wireless shutter release...
  2. jdramirez

I want to turn a photo into a 16-bit video game style image

I record and edit my daughter's rec league basketball games. I'm moderately competent with Adobe premiere, and I had a bit of inspiration recently. I'm going to edit in the intro of Nba jam and pepper the gameplay with boom shackalakas, he's heating up, and other audio snippets the game is...
  3. jdramirez

Moving data from one drive to another via usb 2

I'll try and be brief. I have on 2TB external hard drive and I just picked up a new 8 TB external hard drive. I have an old computer that I am on the cusp of upgrading with ALL the fancy bells and whistles... but I don't have it yet. So I'm using my old computer as the go between to move...
  4. jdramirez

So I'm coaching basketball... and I'd like to record the game... roughly 1 hour

I'd be using my 2nd body, a Canon 60D. I'd place the body at the top of the stands and I'd be courtside. Going back and forth every 12 minutes doesn't really work... and sure, I can ask someone to hit the record button on/off every 12 minutes... but... I'm curious... do yall have a work around...
  5. jdramirez

The problem with price matching... (long story... less of a complaint really...)

This isn't actually photo related... but it is photo relevant and many of us make purchases at one retailer with the understanding that a preferred more reliable, faster shipping retailer will grant a price match. I was looking for a new audio receiver for my home. It needed a few key...
  6. jdramirez

How would you photograph this near dark event?

I was just killing time on Craigs List and I saw an event where they needed a photographer for a Glo Run. The powder color runs destroy cameras/lenses... and this is only marginally better (lasers). I have no idea how much they would pay... but I would guess that most pro photogs that have a...
  7. jdramirez

Does your wife or significant other understand how much effort is required?

I think this conversation harkens back to the, "Your camera takes great photos." debate. No, it isn't the camera, it is the understanding of lighting, depth of field, perspective, etc. That isn't what I'm addressing, because I can understand perfect strangers not realizing what it takes to...
  8. jdramirez

ball on the bat... frustration leads to cheating....

I photograph my little girls softball team.... And I do ok... I do great considering my price of zero. I chase the white whale of prefect timing when the ball gets smushed down when contact is made. This is a tough go, but I think I'm going to just cheat and video the action at 720p, 60 fps...
  9. jdramirez

Not to be mean... but how does this person/group get work?

I'm usually ok with the proof is in the pudding... so if you as a customer see a photographer's catalog... and you think... I'm good with my wedding looking like that... then you deserve what you get... but I'm looking through the photos... and I'm seeing the heavy use of flash... shiny t zones...
  10. jdramirez

Is the 16-35 f2.8 for $1000 a better deal than the f4 version for the same?

There's a like new mkii version for sale locally... I think I can probably get the price to $900 or $950, but obviously the f4 version is widely lauded for roughly the same price. Here's the rub... I don't like wide angle photography, so I would only rarely use it... But let's not go into that...
  11. jdramirez

off camera and 2nd curtain flash... plus white ambient light....

So I'm being more creative than I am talented. What I want to do is take a long exposure shoot, 1/4 second or so, of a baseball swing... I want to start the shutter at the beginning of the swing and have the flash go off at the end of the swing. I'd like to use bulb mode, but I need to see...
  12. jdramirez

When did the cost of your accessories exceed the cost of your 1st SLR?

Many of us had humble beginnings... only to be addicted to L glass and full frame camera later down the road. But I was looking at my pile of gear... and I was thinking that my umbrellas alone (I haven't ventured into softboxes yet) cost more than my first SLR, which was the more than adequate...
  13. jdramirez

It has to be a metering issue... or light flicker... or auto iso adjust...

First of all... I know it's bad... but I'm just trying to knock down one pin at a time to get this thing right. 2nd - Technique... Monopod mounted (which I know isn't as secure as a tripod, but it was in a walkway... so this is the best option without potentially killing people... But the...
  14. jdramirez

Keeper rates and sports?

I went out tonight and I shot another hockey game for practice... and I came to the conclusion... I get a ton more wow keepers when I shoot football and basketball, and I'm sure part of that is not having to shoot through glass, the other part is that I have some experience in those sports... So...
  15. jdramirez

What's a good studio lens for a small studio?

It isn't really a studio, but with limited space, we have a backdrop, a few flashes and a few umbrellas... I adore my 85mm, but in a studio setting I generally shoot at f8 and it is a touch long given the space. Also, 85-135mm is considered the portrait zone... So that's not happening... I...
  16. jdramirez

Check list of photos I want to take on my NYC trip... feel free to add a few.

I'm not looking to reinvent the wheel (or the cliche)... I just want to confirm that I'm capable of doing the grab bag of photography. I've decided the 70-200 stays home... though it would be nice at the zoo. What are we doing in NYC... killing time while the wife works... but it is a short...
  17. jdramirez

My high def video file doesn't look high def... Certainly operator error on this

I'm not video'ing anything important... just my daughter's basketball games. Here's the techinque I'm using... and I want to know if yall thinking going in the right direction or am I using too much of my still technique and ruining the video. I'm using a 5D mkiii and a 24-105L with the IS on...
  18. jdramirez

72" umbrella... what to look for and what to avoid?

I know softies can give better catch lites, and umbrellas may not look as professional as studio lighting... but I'm cheap andi havea chance to get a 72 inch all white for $25 or a black back silver front for $35... (newer brand which can be a draw back) but once had newer stuff before and it...
  19. jdramirez

What were you hoping to buy on Black Friday?

Last year Adorama had a 6ft... maybe 7ft umbrella for $50... and I was hoping that shooting star would be seen again. But no. Also last year, Buydig via ebay was selling a 100L for $700ish after rebate... but again, not this year. Having said that, I just sold my 2nd 100L, so I really should...
  20. jdramirez

Exploring the "new" used price for the Canon 70-300mm L and 100-400mm L

This is pre-mature as we haven't seen photos from the new 100-400L, but the presumption is that the image quality will be outstanding as many of the new offerings from Canon have been recently. With the presumption that the image quality for the new 100-400mm mkii will be superior to both the...