Search results

1. F

Canon Patent Application: Some Crazy DS Zooms

Same. For me, the DS bokeh looks too much like fake/computational bokeh from a smart phone.
  2. F

A new RF 70-200mm f/2.8L IS USM is coming

Disclaimer: I normally read every comment before adding my two cents, but I haven't this time. If I repeat what's already been said, my apologies in advance. At first, the idea that the RF 70-200 F2.8 would get an update seemed strange, but the more I think about it, the more it might explain...
  3. F

Canon patents a built-in tilting viewfinder

I'm curious: For those who would rather have the tilting EVF than the articulating screen, what would you do for portrait/vertical orientation composition? Or if you want to use the timer to be in the shot and see where you are in the frame?* I would love to try a tilting EVF, but not at the...
  4. F

Canon to release major firmware update for the Canon EOS R5

I'd love to have that increased precision, but for some reason, the triangles always indicate focus is achieved when it's actually back-focused. It's a head scratcher...
  5. F

I should probably contribute to something on-topic. :p I'm not putting a lot of hope into the mysterious "above and beyond" feature speculation, but I'd be thrilled if the AF system was updated to allow tracking from all AF methods like the newer bodies do. What can I say -- I'm easy to...
  6. F

In AF menu 2, I set "Focus guide" to "On". The lens is attached using a Photodiox adapter. It's brilliant with focus peaking. Makes achieving focus fairly quick. The IBIS in the R5 is an extra bonus. Plus, I get to enjoy an old 85mm F1.8 and a 105mm F2.5. Neither are exceptionally sharp, but...
  7. F

Thanks for your help. I'm still a bit confused (I must be getting slower as I age). Because the phase-detect pixels are on-sensor, focus is evaluated on the same plane as image capture. How the light gets to the sensor is irrelevant -- it's just measured once it's there. How can phase-detect...
  8. F

This doesn't make sense to me. The camera evaluates what's on the sensor to determine whether the image is in focus. No information from the lens is necessary to confirm that the place in the image surrounded by the focus assist box is sharp and so produce a visual confirmation (e.g. box turns...
  9. F

Canon officially announces the Canon EOS R6 Mark II, Canon RF 135mm f/1.8L IS USM and Canon Speedlite EL-5

Jam05...my friend...You're totally entitled to your opinion. Heaven knows opinions on this forum are all over them map. The only rub is when negative opinions get repeated ad nauseum -- particularly in mocking or belittling tone. That's when it turns spirited-but-friendly debate into childish...
  10. F

Canon officially announces the Canon EOS R6 Mark II, Canon RF 135mm f/1.8L IS USM and Canon Speedlite EL-5

Been a member on this site for about ten years. That's long enough to see the same patterns of prediction and response play out dozens of times. It cracks me up how some things don't change, even if many of the usernames do. What I do know is that over that time, and despite howling and foaming...
  11. F

Canon EOS R7 specifications [CR3]

My two cents... I think the R7 will have an AF system equal to or better than the R3. If I remember correctly, the 7DII had essentially the same AF system as the same-generation 1DX. I would anticipate the R7 possibly even being a test run for what the R1 AF system will bring. Regarding the M...
  12. F

Canon releases firmware updates for the EOS R5 and EOS R6

Another thought: My bluetooth OBDII scanner allows me to take a "freeze frame" of a car's operating data (RPM, engine temp, coolant temp, O2, fuel trims, etc) when there's an error. Similarly, computer programs also often provide a "crash report" that can be sent to the vendor if something goes...
  13. F

I thought the same thing as as soon as I posted. A detailed and well-structured survey would allow for aggregation of data for analysis. Anyone want to put that together? I'm happy to take part in the survey (though I'm not sure I'm knowledgeable enough to author it).
  14. F

Disclaimer: This really is meant to be helpful... I have had my R5 for about a year. I've upgraded to each version of firmware when it came out. I'm not a professional but have shot an estimated 20K images or more with the R5. I have not (yet) experienced a lockup or error. This is only one...
  15. F

Ah, yes. The old NES Game Cartridge trick. ;)
  16. F

Patent: Canon RF 135mm f/1.4L DS USM optical formula

Not a fan of the DS look myself, either. To me, it looks too much like the faked computational "bokeh" of cell phone cameras' portrait mode. I much prefer the standard version...
  17. F

Here is the official Canon USA press release for the Canon EOS R3

While I'm totally happy with my R5, this is a fun announcement. Can't wait to see what the new sensor can do! PS: I was expecting a price closer to USD $5,500, but given the particularly high inflation in the US this year, the announced price doesn't shock me... PPS: I'm thrilled to see an...
  18. F

The Canon EOS R3 will eliminate “Lag” and “Blackout” for stills shooters

I've programmed the multifunction button (by the shutter release button), to initiate sleep on my R5. Initially, it was to keep the lens image stabilization from running constantly, but it saves battery, too. Half press of the shutter button (or just bringing my eye up to the viewfinder, which...
  19. F

The Canon EOS R3 at the Tokyo Olympic Games

Seriously! For all the years I dreamed of having a 1DX, it makes me feel even better about my R5.
  20. F

There may be as many as three RF mount APS-C cameras on the horizon [CR1]

For those speculating about "RF-S" lenses, what's the rationale? The distinction between EF and EF-S was incompatibility of the latter in a full frame body because of the size of the mirror. In the RF world, there is no mirror, so what's the distinction? Is it about making smaller lenses where...