Search results

1. Sporgon

So what is that fifth unreleased camera that Canon has registered?

I find it strange that here on CR many speak highly of the G7X and G5X series, yet no one seems to give a toss about the G1X series. Personally I find the G1XIII a very fine little camera.
  2. Sporgon

Is Canon officially announcing two cameras in May?

Am I right in thinking Canon have discontinued battery grip for R5 & R6II ? If so an R6III makes sense.
  3. Sporgon

So what is that fifth unreleased camera that Canon has registered?

Please be a G1XIV. My mark iii is currently my most used camera for personal use, it really is very good. The only problem is I can’t see how Canon could make it better without sacrificing its tiny size. The current one genuinely drops into a jacket pocket, and the IQ is top notch.
  4. Sporgon

Canon 1st Quarter 2024 Financials

Rather unfortunately, when it comes to my Doberman, that is literally true…….
  5. Sporgon

Black & White

Here are two images of the same scene; one is shot on the Canon G1Xiii and converted to B&W using the Kodak Tri X profile in Silver Efex (along with some of my tweaks). The other is really shot on Kodak Tri X film.
  6. Sporgon

Canon RF 24mm f/1.4L USM and RF 50mm f/1.4L USM coming in Q4 as part of a "hybrid family" of L prime lenses

Well I hope you guys didn’t manage to wake Ahsanford up earlier in the thread.
  7. Sporgon

IBIS on tripod?

I agree with ‘on tripod off IS’. Seems to be somewhat random in how different lenses react. I once nearly had a whoopsie at a wedding when shooting the group shots outside the church. For this I always use my big , heavy and imposing Manfrotto 058; it keeps people focused on the photographer and...
  8. Sporgon

The Sad Truth About Canon's Future?

Hey ! You just upset my all metal and glass 45 and 85 Tamrons !
  9. Sporgon

Fixed lens “Retro” camera coming from Canon?

Yes I can confirm this here in the UK. There’s one Olympus point and shoot 35mm with a sliding cover that seems to be the must have camera with younger people, the so-called Gen Z. (I believe I’m a ‘Baby Boomer’).
  10. Sporgon

Cosina officially announces the Voigtlander NOKTON RF 75mm f/1.5

I find the helicoils on these Cosina manufactured lenses something of a disappointment compared with those of manual focus lenses in their hay day. To someone who’s only ever used AF lenses the manual focus is going to feel good, but they don’t compare with the silkiness of say Canon FD, Takumar...
  11. Sporgon

Landscapes

Pleased you like it @Click ! The weather was very unsettled but that often gives interesting light in Scotland !
  12. Sporgon

You mean an R5 without video capability ?
  13. Sporgon

Canon EOS R5 Mark II sensor resolution likely to stick at 45mp but with new AI features [CR2]

The RF 50/1.8 is certainly sharp across the frame, and when you consider the quite old optical formula with the addition of an aspherical element it’s remarkable what Canon have been able to do with it, stemming I think from coatings and ‘optimum’ lens assembly. The downside is that bokeh can...
  14. Sporgon

Here we go again, the Canon RF 35mm f/1.4L rumored to be announced next month

Dxo seems to be the popular reference point for lens T stops, so I thought I’d try testing two lenses that they report has having very different transmission, the Canon EF 35/2, reportedly with a T stop of 2.0, and the Tamron 45/1.8 with a reportedly rather dismal T stop of 2.3. The Tamron has...
  15. Sporgon

For someone wanting a small, jacket pocketable camera capable of really high quality output I can’t recommend the G1Xiii highly enough. It gets zero love here on CR, I guess because it has quite a slow lens relative to dof, which seems to be how it’s judged in many reviews, but it’s a delight to...
  16. Sporgon

What about Fuji disappointing all their loyal customers with the fixed focal length lens X100 series ? I was under the impression the camera was popular.
  17. Sporgon

The issue I have with the Fuji X100 is that although it has the ‘hybrid’ viewfinder it’s still very much a digital AF camera with a fixed focal length lens, that just looks interesting but not a lot else. Unless you want relatively shallow dof I think the G1Xiii is a much better camera. But a...
  18. Sporgon

Don't edit your family photos

I believe it’s going to have big ramifications for these kind of photographs going forward. The power of photography is capturing a moment; this highly publicised (badly executed) digital manipulation is going to further undermine the integrity of photography in this digital and AI age. Going...
  19. Sporgon

I heard it was the Mondoshawans looking for the last good person on Earth.
  20. Sporgon

When she was out of sight of the press I know that Cate used to use a 5DII. When in public view she liked to be seen with something more humble, so I guess she could still be on Canon. Whatever’s happened it’s something of an own goal one way or the other.