100-400mm lens on crop or FF body? & other help please on trip to Antarctica

Status
Not open for further replies.
P

Parmara007

Hi, I am putting together my upgraded camera kit for a trip to Antarctica and I have a 5D3 with 24-105 at the moment.

I feel this kit would be suitable: -

1. 5D3 with either Zeiss 21mm f2.8 OR Zeiss 18mm f3.5 OR PUSH IT TO Canon 14mm f2.8 ii ?
2. 100-400mm - maybe use a 7D for focal length?

Any thoughts at all from experienced people, especially Antarctica travellers/cold weather travellers but everyone's welcome :)

Thanks in advance.

Amit

P

PackLight

Never been to Antartica but have the 14mm. Have you used the 14mm II on the 5D III before? It wouldn't be bad to have with you at all, but if you haven't played with a lens this wide I would get one and shoot a bit with it so you know what to expect. I would take the Zeiss 21mm first over all suggested.

On a trip this expensive if I didn't have the gear I wanted I would rent it and make sure I had insurance coverage.

Upvote 0
P

Parmara007

PackLight said:
Never been to Antartica but have the 14mm. Have you used the 14mm II on the 5D III before? It wouldn't be bad to have with you at all, but if you haven't played with a lens this wide I would get one and shoot a bit with it so you know what to expect. I would take the Zeiss 21mm first over all suggested.

On a trip this expensive if I didn't have the gear I wanted I would rent it and make sure I had insurance coverage.

I'm not going for about a year but I guess renting one out before buying would be prudent. I've never used a wide angle lens before.

Upvote 0
R

rj79in

PackLight said:
Parmara007 said:
I'm not going for about a year but I guess renting one out before buying would be prudent. I've never used a wide angle lens before.

Around 20mm you start seeing distortion, and by 14mm it is very extreme. It is fun to play with the lens and see what you can get out of it, I consider it a specialty lens.

+1

Using the 14mm is really cool for "getting it all" but it is very difficult to come up with a compelling shot with it unless you have sufficient practice using it. Also, it you are going in the Antartic "summers" it will be difficult to keep the sun out of the frame with the 14mm ... Something to think about!

Also, the 100-400 works great on both bodies but with a 1.4 extender you can get extra focal length with autofocus on the 5d3 come April.

Guess we've been through the IQ comparison of the extra focal length using the 7D but personally I like the shots I get with the 5d3 over the 7d using the 100-400.

Upvote 0
The 100-400 is great for Antarctica for wildlive where you cant get too close like leopard seals, penguins and birds. Extender might be usefull but take into account that you are on a boat and a tripod/monopod does not work well due to engine vibrations, so everything is handhold basically. An albatross fly-by is easier handhold...but you might carry also some wide angle lens with you for landscapes which are simply beautiful. Polarizer and lots of memory cards (I took in 7 weeks 6000 shots) to store and backup your images..laptop en external harddrive is not a bad idea.

Upvote 0
Mar 25, 2011
Personally, I'd rent or buy a 1 Series camera with weatherproofing and stick to weather proofed lenses. You might take the 5D MK III as a backup, you will definitely want a backup, because things do fail in tough conditions.
That makes it a bit difficult at the 400mm end, perhaps a 70-200mmL along with weatherproofed Canon TC's and a 1D X.

Upvote 0

gsw1

5D3
Mar 14, 2018
CT
I am also looking for help with lens selection for a trip to Antarctica, Falkland Islands and the South Georgia Islands. I have been told of weight restrictions on the plane.
Options I have to bring:
24-105
16-35
70-200
100-400
200-400 with the 1.4 built in

I dont want to take too much or regret not taking the right lens
Thanks so much

Upvote 0
D

Deleted member 378664

This was, what I had with me on my Antarctica trip:

EOS M5 with the EF-EOS-M Adaptor:
EF-M 11-22, EF-M 22
EOS 6D MarkII:
EF 40, EF 85, Tamron 100-400

Additionally I had my Samyang Fisheye with me for 360 degree Panos. But I didn't use it.

My Tamrac 5375 Adventure 75 Photo Backpack was just right and had alltogether 8kg of weight which was the limit for the overhead luggage in the plane.

I sometimes missed a universal zoom (18-55 or 24-70), especially for the moments onboard of the tender boats or the polarcircle boat. I would recommend, that you bring your 24-105 with you.

Also sometimes I felt 400mm was not enough reach even in combination with the M5. Seals or penguins on floating ice sheets, whales at quite large distances often needs more reach when photographing from on board the cruise ship.

Frank

Upvote 0
Today, I would take the 100-400mm and 24-70mm with two FF bodies. If you can fit it in your allowance, a light weight carbon fiber tripod would also be on my list. Think about a way to back-up your image files at night on board ship.

I also had a dry bag for Zodiac landings. These are also used for river trips and will keep your gear dry during transit from ship to shore and return. Basically a rubberized duffel like bag of appropriate size.

Upvote 0
I would take the 16/35, the 24/105 and the 100/400. I would buy a 1.4 extender (for the 100/400). Then I would
buy half again as many image cards as I'd planned to take (at least one for each day) and have at least five batteries (unless I have a grip and then I'd double it) Don't forget the cold takes a toll on battery life so the rationale for the five batteries is one in the camera, two in my pocket (body heat) and two on the ship charging for the next day. Polarizing and neutral density filters (snow is bright). Finally, a backup camera body - the trip's too expensive to not be prepared and it's a long way to a service point. Good luck.

Upvote 0
D

Deleted member 378664

Regarding temperatures to expect. It is not that cold as one may expect when hearing Antarctica. Cruise ship tours are only possible during the short period of the antarctic summer.

I went to Antarctica from 26th of January until 9th of February this year. The coldest temperatures I experienced were -0.6 degree celsius when we crossed the southern arctic cirlcle at 6 o'clock in the morning. Maybe you will experience eventually -10 degree celsius but not all the time.

If you are going by cruise ship, you most probably won't experience any landing in stormy conditions because the Crew is responsible for the safety of the passengers and will therefore avoid dangerous landings. Slight snow or rain will be the most threadening condition for your gear on the landings. Polarcircle boat tours can be more difficult for your gear as salty water can spill over your gear at any time.

Frank

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.