1D cameras for walk-around and traveling

Status
Not open for further replies.
I was wondering if anyone used their 1D as their walk-around or traveling camera. If so, any concerns with 1) weight and/or 2) its size/shape making you a target for theft?

I've played with the 1D Mark IV, and it's a lovely camera for sports photography. I'm thinking about a 1DX, but if I spend that kind of money, it'll need to be my only camera. When I used the 1DMIV, it was indoors with a monopod. So pretty simple and controlled conditions. I"m wondering about traveling with a 1D sized camera. How does your arm and neck/shoulder feel at the end of the day? Do you do anything to make it less, er, conspicuous, or doesn't that matter?

Thanks.

Shawn L.

Jul 21, 2010
I've not used a 1-series body, although I'll be getting a 1D X and using it for walkaround and travel. However, I have battery grips on my 5DII and 7D, and I never remove them - I have no issues with the size/weight, and they're frequently used with a white zoom (28-300L, 70-200/2.8L II, or 100-400L).

I use a BlackRapid strap, so the weight is on shoulder, not neck. I've carried the setup for several consecutive full days.

I don't worry about being conspicuous, but there are some situations where a dSLR just isn't feasible, so I also have a PowerShot S100.

Upvote 0
i've done a fair bit of travel using a 1Dmk3 and a 28-300L
talk about a tank! you need a rapid strap or similar or you will destroy your neck and back
It's a big setup and draws alot of attention
combined weight is probably a bit over 4kg with that setup, a little lighter with say the 70-200 f2.8 L II

Personally I much prefer the slimmer non gripped 5D2 form but the 1D has sooo many great features and the viewfinders are first class.
(If only they would make non gripped 1D versions)

Upvote 0
Z

zhap03

I've travelled with my 1ds3. It's no fun when you have a big white lens on it. Big and heavy!!! However, I've learned that coupling my 1ds3 with a lighter lens like a 16-35, 50 1.4, 24-70, or 24-105 makes it tolerable for travelling. I wouldn't say enjoyable, but I would say tolerable. I guess it depends on what type of traveller you are too. I walk a lot when on vacation, whether it be adventure treks or urban walks, and I definitely like a smaller, lighter setup. If you include a car on your vacations, then a 1d body setup is less bothersome. If you're a backpacker or like to travel light, you won't appreciate travelling with a 1d body. I whole heartedly recommend travelling with a 5d or a Rebel body instead. My last trip through SE Asia (adventure/backpacking), all i brought was an Olympus e-p3 and simply loved life. My current travel setup is a Rebel t3i, 15-85, and an S100 (for restaurants and going out at night). Sometimes I replace my s100 with an x100. To summarize, for me, it's about light weight and mobility... so I leave my 1ds3 at home when I'm visiting the rest of the world.

One last note... in one incident while shooting with my 1ds3, I've been asked to stop taking pictures while people around me were allowed to continue takings pics with their p/s.

Upvote 0
i've used everything from a 10D walkabout to a 20D & 5D and currently a pair of 1Ds with 2 lenses so I don't have to swap.

The simple truth for me it depends on what you're doing, your age, your fitness etc.

I'm currently just coming back from Arizona and Utah, and I was happy walking around with both bodies for the day. Not hard core, walking, walking, photos etc, but still with no problem. And that's with a tripod....

When I did India, I took a single body, and a Lowepro side bag for the shoulder, but most of the time I just had the camera in my hand, lens pointing down and holding it by the grip. For me I can walk around all day like this and not feel tired.

From a security perspective, any dSLR atttracts attention in my experience. I think it depends on where you are. I've done north Cambodia and had no issues, in the south I had a single iffy experience with a couple of guys. I don't think a pro camera makes much difference in terms of attention in comparison to a pro-am camera like the 5x/7x....

Upvote 0
Oct 16, 2010
Most of the time its not a problem. The 1 series cameras only weigh a few hundred grams more than the other bodies. Its noticeable, but not much difference in the grand scheme of things. Also, as mentioned, a DSLR is pretty conspicuous anyway. The only time I feel a little awkward with it is when I'm at a party, the beach or the park and everyone else is taking photos with their phone. Quality requires some sacrifices.

Upvote 0
I have a 1DIV and a gripped 5DII. I use both for walk abouts depending on what I intend to shoot.

Both have Black Rapid straps - don't think I would enjoy a neck strap with either of those. I occasionally will take the grip off the 5DII if I am going somewhere and want to be less conspicuous. This was actually one of the factors I considered when I decided to get a 5DIII instead of the the 1DX. Being able to take the grip off gives you some flexibility - and it costs a lot less . . .

Upvote 0
S

scottcognato

Neuro and acoll - how do you like using the BlackRapid w/a grip on your 5d? I've thought about getting one for weddings, but I worry about the stability of something tied to the base of my grip which is in turn tied to the base of the camera. I know I am probably just being paranoid, but I trend toward the neurotic side when it comes to my gear. Thanks!

-Scott

Upvote 0
Mar 25, 2011
The main issue is thata 1 series seems intrusive when taking it into public places. That is more of a issue than the weight, since it feels really well balanced with a 70-200mm f/2.8 zoom on it. It also does take up a bit of space, but I have a nice case that I used with my 1D MK III, that lets me drop it in with the 70-200 or 100-400 and fits like a glove..

I was thinking of getting another 1 series, but finally decided on the smaller 5D form factor as being something I might draw less attention with.

I'm getting up there in age, so I do think ahead a couple of years as to what I am comfortable carrying.

If I don't like my 5D MK III, I won't hesitate to return it for a 1D X, but somehow, I think the 5D MK III will be a fit for me.

Upvote 0
Jul 21, 2010
scottcognato said:
Neuro and acoll - how do you like using the BlackRapid w/a grip on your 5d? I've thought about getting one for weddings, but I worry about the stability of something tied to the base of my grip which is in turn tied to the base of the camera. I know I am probably just being paranoid, but I trend toward the neurotic side when it comes to my gear. Thanks!

It's fine. I do periodically check the connections for tightness, though...

Upvote 0
scottcognato said:

-Scott
I have not had any issues. I am kind of paranoid as well and regularly (at least every other day) check to make sure the connection isn't loose. It never is but like I said am paranoid. I sometimes use it with a 70-200 2.8 attached. For me the biggest issue is swing if I need to move fast. I usually keep my hand on the body or lens in those situations.

Upvote 0
Jul 21, 2010
acoll123 said:
I sometimes use it with a 70-200 2.8 attached.

As do I, or one of the two other similarly-sized zooms I have (28-300, 100-400). But...I never do that with the strap attached to the body, but rather to the tripod foot - the balance is much better, IMO. Actually, I have Wimberley plates on cameras and lenses, and a Kirk 1" clamp on the BR strap, so moving the connection point is easy.

Upvote 0
scottcognato said:
Sweet wristband too ;)
yeah and its free! :p

but seriously I've been using the cheap copies and genuine black rapids for around 2 years now and the ebay ones are going just as strong as the genuine BR
in fact my genuine BR has the phone pouch on it and the ebay ones are way more comfortable so i dont recommendd getting that model BR if you go for the genuine BR get the sport version because its lighter and more like the ebay copies for comfort I think its cheaper too

this is the version i have dont get it its flops around when you bend over to get stuff out of your bag
http://www.blackrapid.com/product/camera-strap/rs-5/

hope that helps

Upvote 0
Shawn L said:
I was wondering if anyone used their 1D as their walk-around or traveling camera. If so, any concerns with 1) weight and/or 2) its size/shape making you a target for theft?

I've played with the 1D Mark IV, and it's a lovely camera for sports photography. I'm thinking about a 1DX, but if I spend that kind of money, it'll need to be my only camera. When I used the 1DMIV, it was indoors with a monopod. So pretty simple and controlled conditions. I"m wondering about traveling with a 1D sized camera. How does your arm and neck/shoulder feel at the end of the day? Do you do anything to make it less, er, conspicuous, or doesn't that matter?

Thanks.

Shawn L.

Never had any problems with it, seldom leave the hotel without it when traveling for pleasure. It feels safe on my Black Rapid RS 7.

Upvote 0
Mar 25, 2011
neuroanatomist said:
scottcognato said:

It's fine. I do periodically check the connections for tightness, though...

I love mine as well, and also find myself cheking the tightness, even though its never been loose. I can cary a heavy camera/lens around for hours and have no sore neck or back.

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.