2012 London Olympics

candyman

R6, R8, M6 II, M5
Sep 27, 2011
www.flickr.com
adebrophy said:
The sailing was really relaxed - no one seemed to bothered by my camera bag and measuring the lengths of the lenses. As I only had a feeble 70-200 and was up on the hill there wasn't much of a chance to get good sports photos so it was all about the audience shots for me. Really great atmosphere and wonderful event.

Little gallery here:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/adebrophy/sets/72157630841746674/

I like the voice operated tripod :)
But it is one you have to feed, isn't it? 8)

Upvote 0
MiceBass said:
So far I've attended events at the Aquatic Centre, Water Polo Arena and the Basketball Arena inside the Olympic Park, plus Earl's Court and The North Greenwich Arena (O2).

I have taken a 5D mkIII, 70-200 2.8 L II and a 2x extender III and I have not had anything remotely approaching a problem anywhere, with the exception of the O2 where one of the volunteers said there was a limit of 15 cm and so I showed him a printout of the restrictions and he apologised. I sense even without that he would have let me in.

All very friendly, all very relaxed. Will post examples once I've gone through the 64GB (count them!) of images.
Out of interest what are the restrictions for mere mortals that don't have press passes?

Upvote 0
candyman said:
adebrophy said:
The sailing was really relaxed - no one seemed to bothered by my camera bag and measuring the lengths of the lenses. As I only had a feeble 70-200 and was up on the hill there wasn't much of a chance to get good sports photos so it was all about the audience shots for me. Really great atmosphere and wonderful event.

Little gallery here:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/adebrophy/sets/72157630841746674/

I like the voice operated tripod :)
But it is one you have to feed, isn't it? 8)

You're right there, Candyman. That's why I can't afford one right now! ;D

Upvote 0
wickidwombat said:
MiceBass said:
So far I've attended events at the Aquatic Centre, Water Polo Arena and the Basketball Arena inside the Olympic Park, plus Earl's Court and The North Greenwich Arena (O2).

I have taken a 5D mkIII, 70-200 2.8 L II and a 2x extender III and I have not had anything remotely approaching a problem anywhere, with the exception of the O2 where one of the volunteers said there was a limit of 15 cm and so I showed him a printout of the restrictions and he apologised. I sense even without that he would have let me in.

All very friendly, all very relaxed. Will post examples once I've gone through the 64GB (count them!) of images.
Out of interest what are the restrictions for mere mortals that don't have press passes?

Hey Wickid - the restrictions are described here - as people have said above it's really about equipment over 30cm, which does include tripods and monopods.

http://www.london2012.com/mm/Document/Documents/General/01/25/44/06/Prohibitedandrestricteditemslists_Neutral.pdf

Upvote 0
I am surprised by just how many photographers there are at the swimming event. I know it is a popular discipline, but there does seem to be an awful lot there.

And I do agree with someone's comments about enjoying the sport, or game. I have often gone to a match, sat on the pitch, worrying about angles, shots, light, the crowd, rain etc. and never really watched the game at all. Sometimes it would be nice to just watch and enjoy it, that's what my TV is for. Sometimes you have to just say enough.

Upvote 0

rcarca

Amateur, Enthusiast, Canonphile
Apr 11, 2012
UK
raphoto.me
Nobody paid a moments notice to my camera or lenses. The only time I was stopped was when I forgot I had a full bottle of water in my bag going through security. Once a soldier had satisfied himself that it was not explosive or poisonous by asking me to drink some, he let me through ;D

Brilliant atmosphere, great fun. Eat your heart out Mitt Romney!

Upvote 0
wickidwombat said:
MiceBass said:

Sadly I don't have a press pass. I'm just a swimming fan and a normal member of the public.

But, as mentioned by one of the other posters, the restrictions are here:
http://www.london2012.com/mm/Document/Documents/General/01/25/44/06/Prohibitedandrestricteditemslists_Neutral.pdf

Upvote 0