5DM3 HDR Article

Status
Not open for further replies.

JoeDavid

Unimpressed
Feb 23, 2012
I ran accross a 5DM3 HDR article on Canon's Learning site. It's about what I expected but it would be better if it could save the resulting file in a 16 bit/color file format. At least the input files taken can be RAW and you have the option of saving them but of course that is the same as a 3 shot bracket.

http://learn.usa.canon.com/resources/articles/2012/5d3_hdr_capabilities.shtml

* Sorry if this link is a double post. I didn't see it anywhere.

Thanks for posting:

Weird that the article only talks about 3AEB's... the reason i pre-ordered the 5D3 over the 50% refurbed 5D2, is that the released specs indicate a 3,5,7 AEB capability. Nothing about 5/7 are mentioned in the article.. granted he is taking an example of a 3AEB, but people have been waiting for more than 3AEB in a non 1 series body and he should have at least mentioned it in the passing...

Upvote 0
S

Seamus

JoeDavid said:
swampler said:
I think he did mention the in-camera HDR only went 1, 2, or 3 exposures above and below. Maybe the 5 & 7 are AEB only and not part of the HDR function?

That's my understanding. HDR uses 3 exposures, AEB can be up to 7, and Multiple Exposure is up to 9.
That's the way I understood it also.

Upvote 0
JPEG images only
For technical reasons, the EOS 5D Mark III's in-camera HDR Mode requires JPEG processing, and can only be done with bracketed JPEG shots. If they camera has been set to any of its RAW image settings, it will take the three bracketed "source" images as RAW files – but the finished, processed HDR image that results will be a Large (full-resolution) JPEG file. It's not possible for the final HDR image to be a .CR2 RAW file.

As expected its JPEG ONLY - so unfortunately gets relegated to gimmick category for me

Upvote 0
Feb 22, 2011
wickidwombat said:
JPEG images only
For technical reasons, the EOS 5D Mark III's in-camera HDR Mode requires JPEG processing, and can only be done with bracketed JPEG shots. If they camera has been set to any of its RAW image settings, it will take the three bracketed "source" images as RAW files – but the finished, processed HDR image that results will be a Large (full-resolution) JPEG file. It's not possible for the final HDR image to be a .CR2 RAW file.

As expected its JPEG ONLY - so unfortunately gets relegated to gimmick category for me

WickedW:+1 gimmick which no one serious enough to spend 4000+ on a DSLR+lenses will ever use in camera. At least they answered my question from the other thread: NO single exposure HDR but three+ exposures.
Facit: This is another useless gimmick which should not attract our attention. (Like the print button :p)

Upvote 0
W

Windza

te4o said:
WickedW:+1 gimmick which no one serious enough to spend 4000+ on a DSLR+lenses will ever use in camera. At least they answered my question from the other thread: NO single exposure HDR but three+ exposures.
Facit: This is another useless gimmick which should not attract our attention. (Like the print button :p)

"should not attract your attention"? Sure... each to their own but "useless gimmick"? Not at all...
I think you're seriously underestimating the number of prosumers who're prepared to drop that sort of coin for casual photography... financial circumstances are very much relative.
Personally, the HDR function is of great interest to me and whether it's RAW or JPEG makes no difference for the casual landscapes or family shots that I'll be using the M3 for. Truth be told I prefer JPEG for casual work as I don't have the additional time required for post processing RAW... on-board HDR only makes it more accessible and enjoyable for a lot of us.

Upvote 0
Maybe I'm the only one, but the HDR feature looks pretty cool to me and I'm already thinking of ways it can help me with my work.
There are many cameras on the market, pick one you that does what you need.
I don't mind paying the price increase for the added features of the MK lll. Improved AF, frames per second, and silent mode, are by themselves enough to satisfy me. The others are icing on the cake including the new viewfinder.

Upvote 0
W

WoodysGamertag

V8Beast said:
Wow, those samples look terrible, but then again I hate HDR. Hopefully the feature will be of more merit when in practice in the hands of those that take a more tasteful approach to HDR.
The landscape/water picture looked pretty cool to me. I think I'm one of the rare guys that actually likes HDR.

I'm disappointed that so many of the samples were of a wedding dress near marble columns. All my favorite HDR images involve the landscapes, city scapes, etc. I bet I'm not alone in thinking, "It would be nice if this camera put those shots in my hands."

Upvote 0
WoodysGamertag said:
V8Beast said:
Wow, those samples look terrible, but then again I hate HDR. Hopefully the feature will be of more merit when in practice in the hands of those that take a more tasteful approach to HDR.
The landscape/water picture looked pretty cool to me. I think I'm one of the rare guys that actually likes HDR.

I'm disappointed that so many of the samples were of a wedding dress near marble columns. All my favorite HDR images involve the landscapes, city scapes, etc. I bet I'm not alone in thinking, "It would be nice if this camera put those shots in my hands."

Dont get me wrong i absolutly love HDR just not the cookie cutter tonemapped type :D

Upvote 0
B

briansquibb

wickidwombat said:
WoodysGamertag said:
V8Beast said:

Dont get me wrong i absolutly love HDR just not the cookie cutter tonemapped type :D

+1 I like the type of HDR where it lookd like s standard picture except fr the DR is clearly much greater - where thetr is detail in blacks and whites

Upvote 0
wickidwombat said:
MazV-L said:
Is the HDR mode on the 5Diii identical to that in the 1DX, or is the 1DX HDR mode better eg. raw merged image capable?
no it looks like the 1Dx will save raws whereas the 5D3 only saves JPG
might be something to do with processing power

Maybe because once you PP a RAW, it's technically cooked ;D. HDR fascinates me as well. I'd prefer to PP the AEB's it manually. So far I have gotten soft results with Photomatix, but when i did it, I had a 1d2 (which is soft itself) and just a 28-135mm lens. I don't know why but I have not tried it with my 5D1 yet... maybe because I always did 7 AEB's before... the 7AEB is one reason I am getting the 5d3... so it better be there!

I want to start HDR again...

Upvote 0
W

Windza

the over the fence guy said:
ha, HDR in jpeg for the 5DMarkus the 3rd. is like a camera app in the iphone

<sarcasm> Yeah so last century bro... the iPhone 5 is gunna kick the 5D's ass... Steve Jobs FTW </sarcasm>

It's always amusing that the self conceived 'pros' that disregard JPEG are also effectively disregarding Canon's huge amount of research that obviously concludes 5DM3 buyers are making JPEG work.

I for one have forayed into RAW but as stated previously, don't have the time or ambition ATM to bother... JPEG works and my clients have all been exceptionally happy. JPEG has paid for all my cameras to date so to dismiss it because it's slightly lacking would make me an idiot... horses for courses.

Upvote 0
briansquibb said:
wickidwombat said:
WoodysGamertag said:
V8Beast said:

+1 I like the type of HDR where it lookd like s standard picture except fr the DR is clearly much greater - where thetr is detail in blacks and whites

Me too. I just don't like images that look like cartoons.

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.