AFMA'ed the 24-70 mk.ii ... not sure I am loving this copy.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Nov 17, 2011
Re: AFMA'ed the 24-70 mk.ii ... not sure I am loving it.

K-amps said:
Ok so we established that the left side is heavier.... what now, should we consider the resolution at the corners as well or is this a return/ exchange contender? :-\

K-amps, I have similar problem. I'm going to return mine and exchange for another one :(

Attachments

• 24mm - ViewFinder.jpg
    984.2 KB · Views: 851
Upvote 0

Dylan777 said:
K-amps said:
Ok so we established that the left side is heavier.... what now, should we consider the resolution at the corners as well or is this a return/ exchange contender? :-\

K-amps, I have similar problem. I'm going to return mine and exchange for another one :(

I was just watching a few episodes of the Jamie Kennedy Xperiment and switched to CR & saw your post Dylan... Are you for real?? ;D ;D ;D

Upvote 0
Mar 25, 2011
neuroanatomist said:
Assuming you've ruled out a mis-mounted lens hood, I'd say it's decentered and I'd exchange it.
Yes, I'd go for a replacement, except that I'm just sitting back and seeing how everyone is doing with theirs. So far, I've read about a lot of sample variation, which is a bit disgusting. I'd consider the Tamron, except it seems to have even more issues with QC.
Once you have found a good one, never let it go.

Upvote 0

K-amps said:

at that price i would be taking it back to compare with another copy for sure

Upvote 0

K-amps said:
I think I am fine with center sharpness... however the corners are a bit worrisome... especially at 24 mm... this is supposedly the best 24mm canon has at corners... should I be concerned? I know I shot the "wall" but it is straight and plane ;D

I am attaching resized (to fit CR) non cropped frames of both 70mm and 24mm... let me know your thoughts.

(I know there is vignetting and noise in the corners... but it is lack of resolution that concerns me)

What aperture? Perfect corners other than stopped down are hard to get at 24mm from any lens.
How far to the wall?

Upvote 0
Here are some full 22MP images at 24mm:

f/8:
http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8054/8084425985_be471a8de2_o.jpg
http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8194/8080849426_1f81f67a9a_o.jpg
http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8191/8080854568_f1f6684736_o.jpg
f/11:
http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8191/8080859646_10b351fbce_o.jpg
f/4.5:
http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8189/8080844890_ee3cf61987_o.jpg

and 24 1.4 II f/8:
http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8471/8080843159_853749e6c2_o.jpg
24-70 II f/8:
http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8054/8080838687_7552869720_o.jpg

100% crops 70mm, f/2.8, center frame:
8080844677_1f77373981_o.jpg

8080859425_1039341e0a_o.jpg

200% best copy at 70mm, center, f/2.8:
8082002857_bd58157188_o.jpg

and worst:
8082002773_bffd0e0361_o.jpg

and good tamron copy:
8081996868_a90d1a8fb7_o.jpg

Upvote 0
Nov 17, 2011

K-amps said:
Dylan777 said:
K-amps said:

I was just watching a few episodes of the Jamie Kennedy Xperiment and switched to CR & saw your post Dylan... Are you for real?? ;D ;D ;D

Most of my shots were from 35mm to 50mm. I didn't noticed until other CRs members pointed out. I went and took some shots at 24mm, results were ugly :mad:

Mine will be on the way back to crutchfield tomorrow....I'll exchnage for another one, will see

Upvote 0
Mt Spokane Photography said:
neuroanatomist said:
Assuming you've ruled out a mis-mounted lens hood, I'd say it's decentered and I'd exchange it.
Yes, I'd go for a replacement, except that I'm just sitting back and seeing how everyone is doing with theirs. So far, I've read about a lot of sample variation, which is a bit disgusting. I'd consider the Tamron, except it seems to have even more issues with QC.
Once you have found a good one, never let it go.

yeah i'm hanging onto my 24-70 mk1 for now its a good one, see how this plays out first

Upvote 0

LetTheRightLensIn said:
K-amps said:
I think I am fine with center sharpness... however the corners are a bit worrisome... especially at 24 mm... this is supposedly the best 24mm canon has at corners... should I be concerned? I know I shot the "wall" but it is straight and plane ;D

I am attaching resized (to fit CR) non cropped frames of both 70mm and 24mm... let me know your thoughts.

(I know there is vignetting and noise in the corners... but it is lack of resolution that concerns me)

What aperture? Perfect corners other than stopped down are hard to get at 24mm from any lens.
How far to the wall?

I shot wide open, f2.8 about 18inches from the wall.

Neuro... I seldom use lens hoods... (another topic ;) )

Upvote 0
Dec 13, 2010
Were there such issues with the first of the 70-200 mk2's also? And with 16-35 mk2 ? And if so, did they get better or did people just accept them?

The reason why I'm asking is if this is a 24-70 mk2 issue, it's pretty useless... this is a very expensive lens and not that fast and should be almost no sample variation... I'd be pretty upset I think...

Upvote 0
I had troubles getting consistent AFMA results once and I had to change the process. I found that consistently shooting in the same spot was my challenge. Here's the process (bear with me) that I used.

-Mount the camera to your tripod and level it out
-Tether the camera to your PC.
-Mount the lens align target on a tripod and level it out. I get it as close as possible to MFD. Ideally, you have an old tripod that has a crank to raise and lower it.
-Open the EOS utility and go to live shooting.
-Click test shot.
-Zoom to x1
-If the scroll bar on the side of the test shot lines up in the middle, great. If not, raise and lower the target until you achieve this. (see pic below)
-From there, you can adjust the AFMA. I was VERY delicate when pushing the buttons so as not to move the camera.
-Keep it tethered throughout the adjustment process so there is no variation.

This helped me to get consistent results. If you're doing this already, my apologies. Just offering up a solution that helped me.

Attachments

• Slide1.JPG
    Slide1.JPG
    43.2 KB · Views: 894
Upvote 0
Jul 21, 2010
Viggo said:
The reason why I'm asking is if this is a 24-70 mk2 issue, it's pretty useless... this is a very expensive lens and not that fast and should be almost no sample variation... I'd be pretty upset I think...

Agreed, and even though Canon had copy variability with the original, you'd think they'd have learned from that...

I was very interested in this lens when it was announced, but instead of pre-ordering it, I put those funds toward my 600 II. Now, I'm even more happy that I did that. I'm now actually considering the 50/1.2L instead of the 24-70 II.

j1jenkins said:
-Mount the lens align target on a tripod and level it out. I get it as close as possible to MFD.

That's a bad idea, unless you're always shooting at the MFD. The adjustment at the MFD is often quite different from the adjustment at other focus distances, and once you get a ways out from the lens, the adjustment values tend to get much more stable. That is why LensAlign recommends 25x the focal length, and Canon recommends 50x the focal length (i.e., about 8 ft and 16 ft, respectively, for a 100mm lens).

The keys to getting consistent results are a stable tripod and LOTS of light. Personally, I have 450 W of light pointed at the target from a distance of a little over 1 foot.

Upvote 0
Jul 21, 2010
K-amps said:
sandymandy said:
Isnt it common knowledge zoom lenses can never be as sharp as a fixed focal length? Zooms have to make compromises. always. doesnt matter what u pay.

It seems conventional wisdom went out the window when it came to reviews for the 24-70 mk. ii

Actually, it went out the window two years earlier, when the 70-200mm f/2.8L IS II came out. Now, it's the new normal. :p

Upvote 0
Nov 17, 2011

Dylan777 said:
K-amps said:
Dylan777 said:
K-amps said:

Most of my shots were from 35mm to 50mm. I didn't noticed until other CRs members pointed out. I went and took some shots at 24mm, results were ugly :mad:

Mine will be on the way back to crutchfield tomorrow....I'll exchnage for another one, will see

Ok guys...I need your thoughts on this. I setup the camera and lens on tripod. Shot it at f2.8 Ave mode - LiveView

Return it or keep it?

Attachments

• vignetting.png
    vignetting.png
    1.9 MB · Views: 753
Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.