AFMA'ed the 24-70 mk.ii ... not sure I am loving this copy.

Status
Not open for further replies.
This thread has helped relieve a little lust for the V2 of the 24-70. So happy to enjoy my 24LII as it is. I sold my 24-70 VI last week among other equipment to get the 85LII. This year I have not shot with the 24-70 outside of sports and occasionally in a wedding. I plan to use the 24LII on my 1dm3 for finishline, i typically shoot 35mm for that anyway so 31mm on the 1dm3 will be close to that. I have been noticing how many times i zoom with my legs now. When shooting portraits while standing on a chair i shot the 50L on the 5dm3 and i had to move the chair i stood on to get level with the diff size groups several times. That's where i thought the 24-70 makes more sense and would cut out the calisthenics. I generally like to shoot full length and 3/4 of each formal. I personally prefer close up shots over the full length but this keeps me out of trouble with the clients. :D

Upvote 0
Hi Bosman, I tried the 85L2 as well. Wonderful lens... but i don't make money off photography... I realized it was one splurge I did not need. :) I might go for the 85 f1.8 for 1/5th of the price with 80% of the goodness... or something wider? If the 50L was sharper that would have been a no brainer... so between the Sig 50 1.4 and Canon 50 1.4 any thoughts?

Upvote 0
Mar 27, 2012
K-amps said:
so between the Sig 50 1.4 and Canon 50 1.4 any thoughts?

I had both Sig 50 and Canon 50 1.4 at one point, and honestly, after you get over Sig's newer appearance and bigger size, I did not see a reason to own the Sig 50 over Canon 50 image quality wise. I ended up with 50L, but that's for f/1.2 to f/2.8 use, beyond which Canon 50 f/1.4 is at least as sharp, although without the bokeh magic.

You can find comparisons on the web, and here's one of Canon and Sig 50 1.4.

http://www.pbase.com/peter_dumont/sigma_50mm_f1_4

Upvote 0
K-amps said:
Hi Bosman, I tried the 85L2 as well. Wonderful lens... but i don't make money off photography... I realized it was one splurge I did not need. :) I might go for the 85 f1.8 for 1/5th of the price with 80% of the goodness... or something wider? If the 50L was sharper that would have been a no brainer... so between the Sig 50 1.4 and Canon 50 1.4 any thoughts?

i have both the canon 1.4 and the sig 1.4

wide open the siggy is better than the canon stopped down they are similar
the canon is smaller and lighter but the siggy has superior build quality (this is the new sig not the crappy old one)
the siggy 50 f1.4 is not as good as the 85 but it is good and better than canon's 50s IMO
the siggy 50 has better bokeh due to the 9 circular blades vs 8 straight ones

Upvote 0
wickidwombat said:
K-amps said:

i have both the canon 1.4 and the sig 1.4

wide open the siggy is better than the canon stopped down they are similar
the canon is smaller and lighter but the siggy has superior build quality (this is the new sig not the crappy old one)
the siggy 50 f1.4 is not as good as the 85 but it is good and better than canon's 50s IMO
the siggy 50 has better bokeh due to the 9 circular blades vs 8 straight ones

Thanks Wombat!

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.