Any chance to re-create data that have been formatted on a CF card (in-camera)

I'd immediately make a full backup of the entire card to a single raw disk image file using dd for windows (if your using windows)
see: http://www.chrysocome.net/dd

You can the mount that image using PassMark OSFMount as read only. Not only you have a backup, but you are also sure that no data gets overwritten. You can then start using the card again en take your time in investigating the raw disk dump file.

Upvote 0

Valvebounce

CR Pro
Apr 3, 2013
Isle of Wight
Hi Niels.
Making a disk image sounds like a great idea, and if you are familiar with this system of recovery I guess it is fine to go on using the card, as a novice in this system of recovery (or someone who knows things can and do go wrong) I would recommend keeping the card aside until you are through with the recovery just in case there is a problem with the creation of the disc image or......?

Hi Drolo.
I suspect that a good number of us have accidentally formatted a card, (been there got the Tshirt ::) ) there are enough recovery solutions available to substantiate this! :) Some solutions are more competent than others dependant on whether it was a quick format (which I think our cameras do) or a full format, a choice via the PC OS and for SD cards in camera.
I can't recommend any software as the software I used seems to no longer be supported by (or is that 'doesn't support') Windows 10.
Good luck.

Cheers, Graham.

niels123 said:
I'd immediately make a full backup of the entire card to a single raw disk image file using dd for windows (if your using windows)
see: http://www.chrysocome.net/dd

You can the mount that image using PassMark OSFMount as read only. Not only you have a backup, but you are also sure that no data gets overwritten. You can then start using the card again en take your time in investigating the raw disk dump file.

Upvote 0

Old Sarge

CR Pro
Nov 6, 2012
If you have not written any information over the card there is a possibility of retrieving the images from it. I have used Recuva with good results, and it is free. I have also bought recovery software in the past which worked but Recuva has become my go-to software for this situation. (BTW, this doesn't happen to me often but I have friends whose images I have recovered from either an accidental format or card defect and Recuva has helped...not 100% but in a good number of cases).

Upvote 0