Bride + Softbox + OCC + Hotel Lobby

Besisika

How can you stand out, if you do like evrybdy else
Mar 25, 2014
628
15
Montreal
I didn't realize how big is the catchlight from the octabox. I got mine but haven't used it much.
My eyes are used to beauty dish. Light wraps softly and evenly.

I looked at the whole set from your page and I must admit you manage very well your customer's emotion. They seem to trust you alot.
How do you approach your first look to get them relaxed?
I need to work a bit more in that direction.
Nice pics, thanks for sharing.
 

Knut Skywalker

EOS T7i
Mar 4, 2012
69
0
I really like the look of the 60-70cm softboxes. I have a 60cm SMDV softbox myself. It's the sweet spot of soft light and a contrasty look. Nice picture!

Edit:
Maybe kind of a dumb question. Am I the only one who doesn't know what OCC means?
 

StudentOfLight

I'm on a life-long journey of self-discovery
Nov 2, 2013
1,444
1
36
Cape Town
I love soft light, however I find the octobox catchlight a bit weird for a lobby scene. In my mind I'd expect a rectangular light source coming in from eye level, like from a door or windows. If she was looking upwards then maybe an octobox could represent a skylight.

Maybe that's just me being picky... Anyway, these three were my favourites in a set of really beautiful images:
http://www.pabstphoto.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/08/indianapolis-wedding-photography-omni-abby-adam-77.jpg
http://www.pabstphoto.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/08/indianapolis-wedding-photography-omni-abby-adam-82.jpg
http://www.pabstphoto.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/08/indianapolis-wedding-photography-omni-abby-adam-84.jpg

Best regards,
O
 

Jim Saunders

EOS 6D MK II
Sep 9, 2012
1,125
13
hhaphoto.com
Off-camera cable perhaps? Anyway she looks terrific in this; I'm not sure about the big reflections in her eyes but I'm also not sure what I'd do to change it.

Jim
 

jepabst

EOS T7i
Aug 28, 2013
91
0
Chicago, IL
www.pabstphoto.com
Knut Skywalker said:
I really like the look of the 60-70cm softboxes. I have a 60cm SMDV softbox myself. It's the sweet spot of soft light and a contrasty look. Nice picture!

Edit:
Maybe kind of a dumb question. Am I the only one who doesn't know what OCC means?
sorry, just a fat thumb error. OCF .. off camera flash.
 

jepabst

EOS T7i
Aug 28, 2013
91
0
Chicago, IL
www.pabstphoto.com
Besisika said:
I looked at the whole set from your page and I must admit you manage very well your customer's emotion. They seem to trust you alot.
How do you approach your first look to get them relaxed?
I need to work a bit more in that direction.
Nice pics, thanks for sharing.
Thanks for looking. I think my photography improved more as I learned how to work with 'people' more than any new piece of gear, lens, camera ect... You hit the nail on the head actually. Trust. If you are extremely confident, they will trust you. If you show weakness, frustration, or let them know you are struggling at any time things can go south quickly.

If you are shooting and things aren't going well, do your best to not let your client know that. Stay positive. Think about what is going right and share that with them. If something does malfunction - and it will - flashes won't fire ect.. HAVE FUN. They don't expect everything to go perfectly. Technology never does. What they do expect is for you to be cool under pressure and know how to fix the problem and be able to continue talking to them while you do so. That's why it's so important to KNOW YOUR STUFF. You have to know your gear inside and out. Practice is the only way really. We all get nervous and/or a little flustered, but keep moving forward.

Photographically, I will never tell them 'that doesn't look good' or the 'light isn't right' or 'let's try something else' -- statements like that take away their confidence in you. If the statements are true, say, Okay, great, got it, now let's do... this... Also, when you do get a great shot, I'm not afraid to show them on the back of the camera if I know it will raise their confidence level. The better they think you are doing the more they will be willing to work with you, listen to you, and get outside their comfort level to do something creative. I think of 'their confidence level' in me as a video game. You know? Like a scale - keep it high, in the green, don't let if all down in the red - or something. I know, that's silly.

Some wedding photographers just sit around and wait for moments. While candid work is arguably the best, it's not all we should be doing. The pictures my brides end up loving are often some of the staged shots; like the first image. But during those staged images, spontaneous moments can happen by talking, chatting, and making them laugh or whatever. Now you have a sort of candid and spontaneous moment with great light. Here is a shot that shows what I'm talking about: A real, genuine, laugh.
 

Attachments

Besisika

How can you stand out, if you do like evrybdy else
Mar 25, 2014
628
15
Montreal
Thanks for the advice. I will keep them in mind. I am confident with capturing the moment as I am a boxing photographer, still struggles with getting, especially the bride, to relax. And it is very obvious in your work that you are right there, where I want to be.
 

StudentOfLight

I'm on a life-long journey of self-discovery
Nov 2, 2013
1,444
1
36
Cape Town
Besisika said:
Thanks for the advice. I will keep them in mind. I am confident with capturing the moment as I am a boxing photographer, still struggles with getting, especially the bride, to relax. And it is very obvious in your work that you are right there, where I want to be.
+1,

Thanks for sharing jepabst. I'm looking to do my first wedding as primary shooter in September so I really appreciate the insight.
Best regards,
O
 
May 8, 2013
1,853
0
jepabst said:
They don't expect everything to go perfectly. Technology never does. What they do expect is for you to be cool under pressure and know how to fix the problem and be able to continue talking to them while you do so. That's why it's so important to KNOW YOUR STUFF. You have to know your gear inside and out. Practice is the only way really. We all get nervous and/or a little flustered, but keep moving forward.
That is some wise advice. People hire a pro because a pro can handle things when they don't go well. :)