Canon EF-S 24mm f/2.8 STM

Maximilian

The dark side - I've been there
CR Pro
Nov 7, 2013
Germany
Hi there everybody!

I just picked up my new EF-S 24mm to add up to the EF 40mm and the 100D/SL1 for traveling light.
And now I recognized that yet there isn't any lens gallery thread until now although this little cutie is out for more than half a year.

First impression:
Mechanics and optics not at L level, what a surprise ;) but all equal to the EF 40 mm.
STM AF at same audible noise level and comparable speed. Nothing for video, but acceptable for that price.

Here are some first test pictures about the bokeh, shot with 100D almost at MFD
First one at 1/100, f2.8, ISO 100
Second one at 1/100, f8.0, ISO 800
Both almost SOOC with almost no PP, just standard correction with DPP, so vignetting is easy to handle.

Attachments

• tired_dandelion_f2_8.JPG
    tired_dandelion_f2_8.JPG
    917.6 KB · Views: 485
  • tired_dandelion_f8_0.JPG
    tired_dandelion_f8_0.JPG
    1 MB · Views: 479

Maximilian

CR Pro
Nov 7, 2013
Germany
Some more pictures of an evening mood with some back light.
Quite nice to see flare and star burst behavior. Both on an acceptable level, although it could be a little bit better.
Look at the details of the branches and twigs and leaves. I didn't check focus in detail and I know that more expensive WA lenses can do better, but for that price? I'm fine.

Pic 1: 1/250, f11, ISO 100
Pic 2: 1/60, f16, ISO 100

Again almost SOOC with just a little PP because of lens correction in DPP.

Attachments

• evening_trees_1.JPG
    evening_trees_1.JPG
    1.9 MB · Views: 432
  • evening_trees_2.JPG
    evening_trees_2.JPG
    2 MB · Views: 416
Upvote 0
I've had this lens for 5 months now, only used it once so far. Made a good lightweight just-in-case lens paired with my 70-200, given its size and weight, although I'm very tempted by the 40mm pancake too now. Seems pretty good. Although I wish it cost a little more and got closer in performance to my L lenses.

Here are a couple of shots I took:

Darren Nelson, Nigel Grensall and Paul Bailey, Andy Schulz by Matt, on Flickr

Phil Burgan and Guy Riall by Matt, on Flickr

Druids corner by Matt, on Flickr

Upvote 0

Maximilian

CR Pro
Nov 7, 2013
Germany
dhr90 said:
I've had this lens for 5 months now, only used it once so far. Made a good lightweight just-in-case lens paired with my 70-200, given its size and weight, although I'm very tempted by the 40mm pancake too now. Seems pretty good. Although I wish it cost a little more and got closer in performance to my L lenses.

Hi Matthew!

Nice panning work you did there. Congrats.
I didn't get the b&w conversion of the first one, because to me car racing is about the speed but also about the poping colors of the vehicles. (Maybe exept for the new Porsche 919 in b&w).
I would have done this maybe just with oldtimer races, but this of course is one again all about taste.

Btw. if you like the 24, get the 40. You'll love it, too.

Upvote 0
Maximilian said:
dhr90 said:

Hi Matthew!

Nice panning work you did there. Congrats.
I didn't get the b&w conversion of the first one, because to me car racing is about the speed but also about the poping colors of the vehicles. (Maybe exept for the new Porsche 919 in b&w).
I would have done this maybe just with oldtimer races, but this of course is one again all about taste.

Btw. if you like the 24, get the 40. You'll love it, too.

Thanks Maximilian! It was harder to pan with than the 70-200 initially. I'd like more practice to get some slower shutter speeds in.
I have uploaded the same photo in colour to Flickr for a comparison. For me, there was a little more detail and the cars popped more, without background elements distracting from the overall picture. But I did upload both to get others opinions on it.

I'm currently pricing up some sold Sony/Metz flash gear I no longer have a use for to trade in against the 40 ;D

Upvote 0

Maximilian

CR Pro
Nov 7, 2013
Germany
dhr90 said:
I have uploaded the same photo in colour to Flickr for a comparison. For me, there was a little more detail and the cars popped more, without background elements distracting from the overall picture. But I did upload both to get others opinions on it.
Thank you for the comparison. As I said, it's all about taste.
I prefer the color version, although I can understand that all the people in den background are now more prominent and distracting than in b&w.

Upvote 0
Maximilian said:
dhr90 said:
Thank you for the comparison. As I said, it's all about taste.
I prefer the color version, although I can understand that all the people in den background are now more prominent and distracting than in b&w.

At the end of the day we all take and where we desire, edit photos to our own tastes, if other people like them then great, if not, so long as the photographer (or customer if its a wedding/commercial shot) likes it then that is the main thing.

Although I definitely agree with your comment about B&W for older cars (and planes), that really does go well for some reason.

Upvote 0
I recently picked up this lens to keep permanently attached to my infrared modified 50D. The first thing I did when I got it was to replace the thick pinch lens cap with a thin traditional lens cap (as shown). I like pinch caps for my larger lenses with hoods, but on a pancake lens it is too big. I had to do the same thing for my EF-M 22 pancake (which is what I used to take this photo).

Attachments

• IMG_2989.JPG
    IMG_2989.JPG
    155.6 KB · Views: 351
Upvote 0

Maximilian

CR Pro
Nov 7, 2013
Germany
dhr90 said:
Enjoying the results it has gotten you?
As I am mostly working with FF the EF-S pancake gets not so much use. When I use it with my 100D I am quite pleased.
As I stated above, there are surely better WA lenses.
But the price performance of the EF-S 24mm f/2.8 STM is almost unbeatable.

Upvote 0
Used this lens again last weekend for some more motorsport work. Comments and criticism welcome :)

It was refreshing to fit this and have something much lighter to hold, I also think it may have gotten something with a different look to it compared to the dozens of great whites I saw there. Felt like it required a different panning technique to a 70-200 too if anyone else has tried that with both lenses?

Steve Tandy and Jamie Orton by Matt, on Flickr

Matt Neal by Matt, on Flickr

I think the 40mm pancake would be a better focal length given how much I had to crop some of them, suspect Santa may leave one for me under the tree this year ;D

Upvote 0