Canon Working on New Lens Technology

Canon Rumors Guy

Canon EOS 40D
CR Pro
Jul 20, 2010
Canada
www.canonrumors.com
HTML:
<p>Focus Numerique had the opportunity to interview Canon executives about all things lenses at the Utsunomiya L lens factory in Japan and gave us a little bit of information about new lens technology coming.</p>
<p><strong>From the interview: </strong></p>
<blockquote><p>French: Sans pouvoir vous en dire plus, nous sommes en train de développer une nouvelle technologie qui apportera une réelle valeur ajoutée et permettra de prendre un nouveau type de photo.</p>
<p>Translation: Without being permitted to tell you more, we are developing a new technology that will bring real added value and will allow to take a new type of photo.</p></blockquote>
<p>What new type of photography are they talking about? Hopefully it’s not some new kind of way to take selfies.</p>
<p><em>image credit // <a href="https://www.focus-numerique.com/news/entretien-avec-mm-okada-hayakawa-et-izuki-de-canon-19731.html">focus numerique</a></em></p>
<span id="pty_trigger"></span>

Crosswind

The bigger your Canon, the smaller your Cannon :)
Feb 2, 2015
Austria
Could this becoming reality for the mass market? A liquid lens? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bZGcKbf-8Yc

Wouldn't be surprised if Canon is the first in the global market with such a technology - or at least the first one who does it right. I'm just curious, because there's a patent regarding this: http://www.freepatentsonline.com/WO2012049989A1.html

Any thoughts on that?

Upvote 0
The "new type/kind of photo" is purposely vague. One can say that each and every new lens that goes beyond what was possible until then (lighter, brighter, with a larger zoom range, a more efficient stabilisation, a quicker autofocus, providing a better image quality, etc., all things being equal) will allow to take a new type/kind of photo.

Think of this new technology as something in line with the DO (Multi-layer Diffractive Optical Element, 2000) and BR (Blue Spectrum Refractive Optics, 2015) technologies.

For instance this new technology could be related to the Canon patent of a lens with a double apodization filter (one on each side of the aperture), see patent 2016-218444 requested on 20 May 2015 and granted on 22 December 2016.

There have been rumours, including here, of a new 135mm f/2 “unique” to the line-up that would not be a replacement for the classic Canon L prime.

Working examples in the patent referenced above include two 135mm f/2 with double apodization filter.

Attachments

• JPA_428218444_000018.jpg
    JPA_428218444_000018.jpg
    38.2 KB · Views: 217
Upvote 0

mikekx102

1DX Mark II =)
Aug 2, 2015
Western Australia
There have been a few technologies that Canon have introduced in the past. Some of the ones I can think of are:
- Diffractive Optics (Lighter, shorter Lenses)
- Sub Wavelength Coating (Better Flare Control and contrast)
- Blue Spectrum Refractive Optics (Corrects CA)

Based on the previous technologies I'm quite excited to see what they can come up with. I wonder when we'll see it. Hopefully in the next 50mm f1.0L :D (In 2018...)

Upvote 0
Mar 26, 2014
Sharlin said:
I got this pie-in-the-sky idea of recording stereoscopic images with the Dual Pixel tech, but have no idea which sort of optics would be required to superimpose the two views onto a single sensor...

The optics would need to be half-pixel-sharp and somehow put one image on the left column and the other on the right. I highly doubt this is possible.

Upvote 0
pknight said:
"A new type of photo." Hmm. I can see a lens making it possible to take better photos, or photos with less of this or that artifact, but a new type of photo? With the same sensors that we are using with our current lenses? My hyperbole alarm is going off.

The French "un nouveau type de photo" can also be translated by "a new kind of photo", i.e. something you couldn't do until then. Think of a 135mm f/2 with apodization filter (as an example): it will give pictures that, strictly speaking, couldn't be done before.

Upvote 0

hne

Gear limits your creativity
Jan 8, 2016
A Canon-branded FF mirrorless with 200Mpx plenoptic array-equipped sensor would be a dream. Kind of like the Lytro Illum, but with useful resolution (who want 4Mpx stills?), interchangeable lenses and from a company having a clue about photographic workflows.

No more almost nailing focus. No more almost getting the DoF right. No more almost getting the curved focus plane aligned with the flat brick wall, no more chromatic aberrations (lat or lon!), no more... OVF.

Canon already has all the base tech in place with their dualpixel stuff, and they have at least one patent for splitting the pixels in more parts.

Upvote 0

unfocused

Photos/Photo Book Reviews: www.thecuriouseye.com
Jul 20, 2010
Springfield, IL
www.thecuriouseye.com
Please people, let's keep this in context.

These are Japanese executives interviewed by French writers and then the French language story is being translated into English. Don't expect nuanced interpretations.

About all you can gather from this is that Canon is working on undefined new lens technologies. The same thing they've been doing for...like...100 years now.

Upvote 0
Jul 28, 2015
unfocused said:
Please people, let's keep this in context.

These are Japanese executives interviewed by French writers and then the French language story is being translated into English. Don't expect nuanced interpretations.

About all you can gather from this is that Canon is working on undefined new lens technologies. The same thing they've been doing for...like...100 years now.

Spoilsport

Upvote 0