Choice of compact: OM-D em5 vs Sony RX 100

Status
Not open for further replies.
Feb 22, 2011
Rocks in harsh light, I choose this because I am amazed to see plenty of detail in the shadows and when I pushed them - well, no black and red dots... The shadows appear better on the NEC display than on the simple Samsung. Anyway, nothing spectacular, I would not shoot rocks in the sun otherwise.

Attachments

• _DSC0165.jpg
    _DSC0165.jpg
    249.3 KB · Views: 1,355
  • _DSC0166.jpg
    _DSC0166.jpg
    117.6 KB · Views: 1,319
  • _DSC0167.jpg
    _DSC0167.jpg
    354 KB · Views: 1,404
Upvote 0
Feb 22, 2011
The last one is misfocused. The AF does this like 5% in more complex situations. I have the impression the camera knows what I am photographing and sets the focus points right most of the time at the first or second shutter half press. It rarely struggles.

Attachments

• _DSC0202.jpg
    _DSC0202.jpg
    239 KB · Views: 1,429
  • _DSC0199.jpg
    _DSC0199.jpg
    263.1 KB · Views: 1,407
  • _DSC0194.jpg
    _DSC0194.jpg
    223.5 KB · Views: 1,392
  • _DSC0190.jpg
    _DSC0190.jpg
    61.1 KB · Views: 1,376
Upvote 0
Feb 22, 2011
And some NIK-ing on the first and second, the third shows very good sharpness to the corners if stopped down a bit.
That's all, sorry for the huge amount of photos, they are all from today and are probably 50% of what I shot randomly around. The rest was composed even worse than these and does not deserve viewing.

Attachments

• _DSC0223-2.jpg
    _DSC0223-2.jpg
    248.3 KB · Views: 1,370
  • _DSC0120-2.jpg
    _DSC0120-2.jpg
    324.3 KB · Views: 1,455
  • _DSC0235.jpg
    _DSC0235.jpg
    438.4 KB · Views: 1,448
Upvote 0
Interesting reading. Especially as I am stuck in the need to get a new camera to travel with, within the month. The G11 has reached the end of it's useful life for me, there's no point in buying a G12 if there's a suspected G13/14 on the horizon. I'd kick myself silly if while waiting for the Gxx to come along I settled for the G12. So I have been looking around, like many I have a good dslr an Oly E410 with kit lenses and a great 12 -60mm Zuiko lens but it's too heavy for me to travel with (no silly remarks please).

The Canon EOS M wont be available until mid October when I will already be away. So what do I get in the meantime. No excuses that it's for the wife, it's for me. My wife never touches a camera unless I put it in her hands.

Anyway I dont want to travel with loads of lenses and so the RX100 looks very tasty to me too, I looked around for competition I couldn't see anything near it. Pity about the restricted zoom but it does seem to get good write ups around the groups. let's face it I wouldn't even be talking Sony if Canon got their act together and announced the G13 or 14 or whatever they or going to call it, bet they announce it at Photokina available........ xmas! Just like the EOS M announced recently not available till mid October, is that just to get us salivating or to make sure we dont wander off to the competition in the meantime?

By the way, I looked at an OMD body and compared it to my G11, it's fine until you start putting lenses on it, it will be the same with the EOS M but at least the OMD has a swivel screen (I think).

Upvote 0
Besides the Canon G series, would you consider the S series?

Gman said:
Interesting reading. Especially as I am stuck in the need to get a new camera to travel with, within the month. The G11 has reached the end of it's useful life for me, there's no point in buying a G12 if there's a suspected G13/14 on the horizon. I'd kick myself silly if while waiting for the Gxx to come along I settled for the G12. So I have been looking around, like many I have a good dslr an Oly E410 with kit lenses and a great 12 -60mm Zuiko lens but it's too heavy for me to travel with (no silly remarks please).

The Canon EOS M wont be available until mid October when I will already be away. So what do I get in the meantime. No excuses that it's for the wife, it's for me. My wife never touches a camera unless I put it in her hands.

Anyway I dont want to travel with loads of lenses and so the RX100 looks very tasty to me too, I looked around for competition I couldn't see anything near it. Pity about the restricted zoom but it does seem to get good write ups around the groups. let's face it I wouldn't even be talking Sony if Canon got their act together and announced the G13 or 14 or whatever they or going to call it, bet they announce it at Photokina available........ xmas! Just like the EOS M announced recently not available till mid October, is that just to get us salivating or to make sure we dont wander off to the competition in the meantime?

By the way, I looked at an OMD body and compared it to my G11, it's fine until you start putting lenses on it, it will be the same with the EOS M but at least the OMD has a swivel screen (I think).

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.