CP filters: which is considered your favorite brand?

MARKOE PHOTOE

Photography is a love affair with life.
There are numerous filter manufacturers available such as B&W, Singh-Ray, Marumi, Hoya, Tiffen, etch...

I'm looking for your favorite circular polarizer that provides the best color cast protection.

Sorry if this has been addressed before, but I couldn't find the correct topic.

Thank you in advance.

FEBS

Action Photography
CR Pro
I did use exclusive B+W in the past. However, several months ago I decided to try out the Singh-Ray LB Warming Polarizer. Now those results are even better then the B+W. That little warming that is added, beautiful. So these week I did receive my order of some more of this Singh-Ray CP, so that the 16-35 f4,24-70 f2.8II, 70-200 f2.8 II, and the TS24 all have there own filter so that I can use dual camera setup but also quick change of lens without the hassle of filter/CP exchange.

Upvote 0

beforeEos Camaras

love to take photos.
CR Pro
Sep 8, 2014
I will most likely be booed but I use a rebranded cpl a "promaster" hgx with repellamax coating. btw it really works I think it is a hoya. its actually very well made low profile 77mm cpl
works on my 10-22 efs my 400 5.6l and with a step-down ring my 70-200 and my old 20-35 3.5 -4.5 usm. so one filter lens fits all. yes I over paid for the filter. but I chose to shop at a brick and mortar store for all of my camera items. my choice like the over priced lens hood for my 10-22 efs I bought in Seattle at a store called glazer`s camera seems it even fits my 20-35 usm.

Upvote 0

JPAZ

If only I knew what I was doing.....
CR Pro
Sep 8, 2012
Southwest USA
Zeidora said:
I have B&W and am happy with them. These days I would also look and try Breakthrough out of San Francisco.

I have B&W but just ordered Breakthrough ND's and a CPL for my 82mm lens. From what I am reading, they are well done. Of coure, the proof will be once I try the.

Upvote 0
May 15, 2014
AcutancePhotography said:
I have been very happy with Marumi. I like the quality and I especially like the price.

+1

I have Marumi CPLs in 67mm and 77mm and have enjoyed the images they produced.

Here is an example (Marumi 77mm CPL) that is almost straight from the camera, I probably pushed the saturation a little in PP.

Thunder Point by Ryan Ludwig, on Flickr

Upvote 0
B&H only. Tried Marumi for my cheap sig 18-250, was OK for wide angles, but definitely affected IQ at longer FL, so I replaced that one with a B&W. $65 filter for a $250 lens, but what are you going to do.

Haven't tried the better Hoya's, I'd expect them to be as good as B&W.

All filters will polarize just fine. The differences are going to be in flare control and how flat and parallel the glass surfaces are. The latter is not so important at wide angles, but becomes more and more so at longer FL.

Upvote 0