Deep Sky Astrophotography

telemaq76 said:
new picture around Sadr
37*270 sec+ dof
canon 700da+cls filter, canon 70-200 2.8 is II @200mm, mount neq6pro

Ooft. One of my favourite patches of sky, and a truly excellent rendition.

I just got a new telescope and mount, hoping to get some shots of my own as soon as the clouds give me a break (as if).

Upvote 0

StudentOfLight

I'm on a life-long journey of self-discovery
Nov 2, 2013
Cape Town
telemaq76 said:
StudentOfLight said:
telemaq76 said:
new picture around Sadr
37*270 sec+ dof
canon 700da+cls filter, canon 70-200 2.8 is II @200mm, mount neq6pro

Another great image.

What is dof?

DOf ..Dark, Offset, Flat :) DOF :D
Thanks. I knew there was some good explanation.

Interestingly here in South African one of our languages is Afrikaans, and the word "dof" means dull or if you refer to a person as being "dof" you mean that they are dimwitted. So I was feeling "dof" trying to figure out what you meant by "dof" LOL ;D

Upvote 0
I'm a little jealous of the images that everyone is posting up. Some great work.

I hope to be able to do some astro imaging soon with my 11" EdgeHD scope soon, I've just ordered an attachment for the secondary mirror to be removed and mount my camera to the front for some nice F2 imaging. Hopefully i'll be able to post some stuff up soon.

Upvote 0
I have not had much clear sky time this year. Been extra heavy on the clouds. Originally that was because of El Ninio, which was hot and heavy until the end of spring this year. But, the pacific conditions are returning to La Ninia status...so, I honestly don't know why the clouds are still perpetual.

Anyway...I dropped $3700 on some new camera gear in April. I've only been able to use it once...on the moon! :p Just to give you guys an idea of how much better dedicated astro gear can be...this is from an ASI1600MM-Cool camera, running at -15°C. I used very high quality AstroDon LRGB filters (these alone cost $500), since the camera is monochrome. The camera has only 1.5e- read noise, and 0.008e-/s dark current @ -15C (compared to my 5D III, which has a monstrous 4e-/s @ 28C!!!) So, this is an ultra low noise camera.

I acquired high speed video sequences for four filters, LRGB, between 30-50fps. Graded, culled, aligned and stacked the top 15% of those in a program called AutoStakkert!2 to get individual Luminance (L), Red, Green and Blue channel images. I then processed those in PixInsight to combine it all into a deconvolved, high detail full-color image:

9vaOjjTh.jpg

You can see a larger version here:
http://www.astrobin.com/full/260298/B/

And, for those who are willing to download the full size, you can see that here:
http://www.astrobin.com/full/260298/B/?real=&mod=

To contrast the quality of this camera with what I've been able to get with my 5D III. This is the largest lunar image I've had with the 5D III:

NiWu0FVh.jpg

See full size here: http://i.imgur.com/NiWu0FV.jpg

I used video capture with this one, but the 5D III can barely sustain about 20fps. On top of that, the low pass filter and interpolation to convert the bayer CFA to a full color image really softens things up. The next highest resolution single-image of the moon I've got from the 5D III is this guy:

r7DlVOzh.jpg

See full size here: http://i.imgur.com/r7DlVOz.jpg

This was a while ago, but it was on a night of very good seeing, so the detail was pretty darn good. But it only holds up at this size...again, the low pass filter and interpolation soften things up. The ASI1600 has neither a low pass filter, nor does it need to be demosaiced...you get a 100% fill factor on every channel.

Upvote 0
Thanks Click, Telemaq!

Telemaq, the pixels on this camera are 3.8 microns. Very small! Combined with a high resolution telescope (AstroTech 8" Ritchey-Cretien), it gave me an image scale of 0.482"/pixel. The diffraction limited resolution of the scope is 0.57". The seeing on these nights was between 0.5-0.6". So, I was basically working at the diffraction limit, and seeing was not blurring things as much as it usually does (actually, 0.5" seeing is...phenomenal!)

I kind of made out like a bandit on the resolution. ;) It's pretty rare that the celestial forces align and give you clear skies, transparent skies, and skies with good seeing all at once. To be able to image diffraction limited is like bliss! :p I suspect I won't get another chance like this any time soon.

Your narrow band images look great! I'm curious though...what camera was that? Is it astro-modded, full-spectrum modded, or mono modded?

Upvote 0