Does anyone still love their old gear?

slclick

EOS 3
Dec 17, 2013
lexaclarke said:
slclick said:
Ok, calling the 5D2 and 6D old..... where's that rolling eyes emoji

Old is flash cubes, 120 film, 110 film, pinhole cameras, lol
The 5D mark II will be 10 years old this year. Even in film SLR terms, that's pretty old. The Canon A cameras were made obsolete in less than that.

Funnily enough my film camera is newer.

SLR terms, is that like dog years? I know Mother In Law years.... 1 Day = 4.

Upvote 0
My early digital cameras aren't getting any use (or have been given away).

I do wish that I had kept my Minolta XD-11. Focus was as good as your eye allowed, and it never ran out of memory. It had aperture and shutter priority modes, which was amazing for the time. Sensor noise was high when you pushed 400 Ektachrome to 1600, but at reasonable ISO levels life was good.

Take that, poster who referred to 2017 (4 months ago) as old!

Upvote 0

Michael Clark

Now we see through a glass, darkly...
Apr 5, 2016
lexaclarke said:
My 5D mark II still does everything I need it to. The mark III and S R aren't enough of an overall improvement for me to feel the money is worth spending. If/when the mark II breaks I'll probably get a mark IV, but I'd really like it to last until the mark V is out and upgrade to that. I want the sensor of the 5DS R but with the speed of the 5D mark IV. That will be enough to get me to pay up for the upgrade. Until then, the mark II is fine for work and still overkill for personal shooting.

As someone who has shot extensively with both the 5D Mark II (my primary camera from early 2011 until mid 2014) and the 5D Mark III (my primary camera since mid-2014) I will say that, for me at least, the difference was a quantum leap upgrade not unlike when I moved from a Rebel XTi to a 50D back in 2009. Just the AF system alone is well worth it unless you are shooting everything you do from a tripod and carefully focused manually. The 5D Mark II gives you great image quality, but most everything else about it (handling speed, AF speed/accuracy/consistency, etc.) is far behind what even the current Rebels offer. The 5D III gives you great image quality and a pro-grade AF system along with much more flexibility in how you can set the camera up to do what you need it to do.

Upvote 0