Elinchrom rx-one life expectancy

Does anybody know how long studio flashes like the rx-one from elinchrom are supposed to last? I had mine about a year and it blew up with considerable noise. on opening it up, the condensor had burned itself and part of the circuit off the main board. I'd estimate the amount of times it has been triggered at about a thousand. Is this considered to be a normal life cycle for the entry level series and can it only be resolved by getting the more expensive ones or would this be a fluke and are these things normally built to last for years? This is already the second head to have issues, but the first to really die (the other one had plastic which impacted the fan, so that was easy to fix)

Attachments

• 5D160822.JPG
    5D160822.JPG
    966.5 KB · Views: 321

pwp

Oct 25, 2010
Your RX-1 should have lasted longer than that. PCB Einsteins are a cheap option with a handy built in feature that tells you how many pops the flash has done. I have six Einsteins and their mileage ranges from 45,000 to 80,000 with no problems at all.

FWIW I used to have Elincrom and Profoto and the cost of ownership was high, too many and too frequent trips to the repair shop. Einsteins have been rock solid.

-pw

Upvote 0