Famous icons in your city

g2

Sep 16, 2012
IslanderMV said:
I am bummed I live in the sticks. No city-scapes and famous landmarks here .

Wait... wait - one of the first carousels in the USA is here and a church from the days of the whaling industry is still being used. I guess I will have to take some picts. I'll have to start a new forum - Semi-famous little town landmarks.

Which town is this? Would love to see photos mate, any would be fine :)

Upvote 0

Don Haines

Beware of cats with laser eyes!
Jun 4, 2012
Canada
I had to go to downtown Ottawa last night. After the insanity of the last few days here it is good to know that these places will remain open to the public and not locked away in fear of what might happen.

The first picture is of the central block of the Canadian House of Parliament and the peace tower. The eternal flame is in the foreground. The second picture is of the war memorial beside the tomb of the unknown soldier.

Both shots were 5 second time exposures and great thanks are due to the people (complete strangers) who all tried to stand still for the picture.

Attachments

• IMG_1522.jpg
    IMG_1522.jpg
    577.2 KB · Views: 450
  • IMG_1530.jpg
    IMG_1530.jpg
    468.1 KB · Views: 405
Upvote 0

DominoDude

Certified photon catcher
Feb 7, 2013
::1
Don Haines said:
I had to go to downtown Ottawa last night. After the insanity of the last few days here it is good to know that these places will remain open to the public and not locked away in fear of what might happen.

The first picture is of the central block of the Canadian House of Parliament and the peace tower. The eternal flame is in the foreground. The second picture is of the war memorial beside the tomb of the unknown soldier.

Both shots were 5 second time exposures and great thanks are due to the people (complete strangers) who all tried to stand still for the picture.

I really like the slight movement in the 1st photo. In some way it accentuates the feeling that things have to move on and the buildings stand firm and safe while peoples minds are blurred by the craziness.

Upvote 0
U.S. History

IMG_2750-L.jpg

Upvote 0
I like this thread, so I hope more people will post icons from their respective home cities and countries. Makes you want to travel :)

This is the Monolith, made by Gustav Vigeland, one of the most famous sculptures in his park. The column is over 14 metres tall and carved in one single stone. It consists of 121 human figures. There have been many interpretations of the Monolith: Man's resurrection, the struggle for existence, Man's yearning for spiritual spheres, the transcendence of everyday life and cyclic repetition.

The Vigeland Park, or Frognerparken, is the largest park in Europe, with sculptures made by one man, 212 in total, made in bronze and granite. (You´ll find some more over at the Zeiss Otus 85/1.4 thread).

1DX, Zeiss Otus 85mm/1.4
1/2000s, f1.4, ISO100

Attachments

• _B3A1371.jpg
    3.2 MB · Views: 448
Upvote 0
Eldar said:
I like this thread, so I hope more people will post icons from their respective home cities and countries. Makes you want to travel :)

This is the Monolith, made by Gustav Vigeland, one of the most famous sculptures in his park. The column is over 14 metres tall and carved in one single stone. It consists of 121 human figures. There have been many interpretations of the Monolith: Man's resurrection, the struggle for existence, Man's yearning for spiritual spheres, the transcendence of everyday life and cyclic repetition.

The Vigeland Park, or Frognerparken, is the largest park in Europe, with sculptures made by one man, 212 in total, made in bronze and granite. (You´ll find some more over at the Zeiss Otus 85/1.4 thread).

1DX, Zeiss Otus 85mm/1.4
1/2000s, f1.4, ISO100

Very nice!

Upvote 0
Feb 22, 2012
IslanderMV said:
Wait... wait - one of the first carousels in the USA is here and a church from the days of the whaling industry is still being used. I guess I will have to take some picts. I'll have to start a new forum - Semi-famous little town landmarks.
......I keyed in on the carousel and whaling industry...are you near Westerly? I grew up there.

Upvote 0