Gary Fong helps Wedding Photographer in law suit threat

What a great story.
http://petapixel.com/2014/12/09/gary-fong-account-ridiculous-300000-lawsuit-threat-nelson-tang/
Though I am not a wedding photographer it shows what sort of stress can be involved in this sort of work.
Hat's off to you guys and of course Gary Fong.
Nice to see community in this digital day and age to rally behind someone being bullied, whether it's in the school yard or out in the commercial world.
I prefer to wander the bush on my own minding my own business, a little less stress.

dcm

Enjoy the gear you have!
CR Pro
Apr 18, 2013
Colorado, USA
From the article - "When it came time to the formality of writing up a contract, the groom (a lawyer) kept making changes after changes, with more and more verbose demonstrations of his command of legalese with every revision.

Finally, his contract had become so one-sided and confusing that Nelson wouldn’t sign it. For the event, he charged a mere $3,800 not including airfare or hotel. As he and the bride were friends, he just went with a verbal, but not written contract. There wasn’t enough time to argue forever over it.
"

The outcome was pretty predictable. I have walked/run away from these types of situations in my real life (non-photo) job on multiple occasions. I had a good lawyer tell me that the contract is what you do when everything else goes wrong - its the worst case scenario and you should always strive to do better. And the problem wasn't just with the lawyers. If you cannot agree on a contract, price, or simple terms & conditions, the rest will often go worse. People like this don't understand your value so these jobs never end well.

I did have a client I walked away from come back and agree to my terms. I was a referral with glowing recommendations. He balked at the price and didn't think I could help. A year later we contracted up to 5 days, I finished in 3. I was the most expensive consultant he had ever hired and he said it was the best money he ever spent. He was also !@#$% upset that I didn't convince him to do it a year earlier. He estimated his losses at hundreds of times what I cost him and a year or more delay in the market. I told him I did everything I could to convince him and asked him what would have convinced him the first time. He thought I should have offered to work for free and let him pay me what he thought it was worth afterwards. He really wasn't ready for help at the time.

Moral: know your value and walk away when the client doesn't see it.

Upvote 0

Old Sarge

CR Pro
Nov 6, 2012
This was a real bad situation. One that occurred because the photographer was friends with one of the parties. And demonstrates, from the other side, why I rarely hire friends, particularly for work around my home. I have tried to use people I knew, usually from my church, and rarely had good results. Now I usually hire strangers recommended by friends and have much better results.

Upvote 0

Mitch.Conner

It was all a lie.
Nov 7, 2013
mkabi said:
Mt Spokane Photography said:
Great Story.

+1 & Great Lesson.
Back out when there are too many changes in contract that you can't understand.
Not worth the hassle. And, if there is a lawyer, have a tape recorder on hand to record every verbal contract.

Be aware that in many states, both parties MUST consent to an audio recording of a conversation. Failure to do so in a number of states that I've checked the law on, constitutes a felony crime (honestly, that surprised me that it's a felony rather than a misdemeanor). SOME states are 1-party states, where as long as one party consents (usually the party that is recording), it's legal. That is not the norm though. So, if you do record verbal contracts, do so with the consent of whomever you are recording to be safe.

Furthermore, verbal contracts may NOT be valid in cases like this where the dollar amount exceeds $500 - this is due to a common law provision called the statute of frauds. In some states this is strictly for goods though, whereas others apply it to goods and services, so it depends upon where you live.

The attorney claimed (from what I read) that verbal contracts are valid and enforceable in Washington state. That is true - although it's true in all states in some sens, the statute of frauds defines the limits of what can be agreed upon in a verbal contract. However, I checked, and the $500 provision does not apply in Washington state. It does have a provision for contracts that cannot be completed within one year of forming them - and that is another common feature of the statute of frauds (ie: so if the verbal contract was made a year and a day before the wedding, it would have theoretically been void). However, their version of the statute of frauds is more forgiving and allows much more to be agreed upon verbally.

I just thought I'd point this out in case it helps anybody. If I'm wrong and somebody catches a mistake - feel free to call me out on it.

Disclaimer: I am not providing legal advice here. Everything I've said is worth exactly as much as you paid for it. $0.00... nothing... zilch. Please do not rely upon anything that I've said as being legal advice.

Upvote 0

surapon

80% BY HEART, 15% BY LENSES AND ONLY 5% BY CAMERA
Aug 2, 2013
APEX, NORTH CAROLINA, USA.
Omni Images said:
What a great story.
http://petapixel.com/2014/12/09/gary-fong-account-ridiculous-300000-lawsuit-threat-nelson-tang/
Though I am not a wedding photographer it shows what sort of stress can be involved in this sort of work.
Hat's off to you guys and of course Gary Fong.
Nice to see community in this digital day and age to rally behind someone being bullied, whether it's in the school yard or out in the commercial world.
I prefer to wander the bush on my own minding my own business, a little less stress.

Thousand Thanks , Dear Friend Mr. Omni Images.
Great story that all of us/ Photographers must learn from this story.
Yes, The Real Professional Photographers must be careful about his/ her professional .
Thanks again.
Surapon

Upvote 0