GIMP increments uo to 2.8.16

Mar 1, 2012
Sometime in the last few days, a GIMP incremental update from 2.8.14 to 2.8.16 was released.

Release notes here
http://www.gimp.org/release-notes/gimp-2.8.html

Download page here
http://www.gimp.org/downloads/
Scroll down the download page for the user manuals, GIMP always offers these as separate, language specific downloads.

Among many updates described in the release notes is
  • Support loading 16bit (RGB565) raw data.
Been anxiously awaiting this.

Installer page notes, "installer contains both 32-bit and 64-bit versions"
---
It's downloading here as I write, I'd critique it if I though myself qualified.
A better critique might come from a current and experienced Photoshop user who's fed up with Adobe's required tithe by subscription business model and seeks a lower cost alternative.

koenkooi

CR Pro
Feb 25, 2015
The Netherlands
tolusina said:
Cost is the learning curve.

As far as
Goes, I'm clearly missing something.
Below is a screenshot taken as I Sent to GIMP from Lightroom 5.3 for external editing.

Your picture is 16 bit per channel for a total of 48 bit per pixel. The release notes are talking about 16 bit per pixel, arranged 5 bits red, 6 bits green and 5 bits blue.

Upvote 0

Valvebounce

CR Pro
Apr 3, 2013
Isle of Wight
Hi koenkooi.
Ok so where does one get the RGB565 file to import?

Cheers, Graham.

koenkooi said:
tolusina said:
Cost is the learning curve.

As far as
Goes, I'm clearly missing something.
Below is a screenshot taken as I Sent to GIMP from Lightroom 5.3 for external editing.

Your picture is 16 bit per channel for a total of 48 bit per pixel. The release notes are talking about 16 bit per pixel, arranged 5 bits red, 6 bits green and 5 bits blue.

Upvote 0

LDS

Sep 14, 2012
tolusina said:
Among many updates described in the release notes is
Been anxiously awaiting this.

Don't be fooled by the "raw" word. This has nothing to do with cameras RAW formats - RGB 565 is a format to cram the three RGB values into a single 16 bit value (sometimes used by some video streams to save on bandwidth and storage), instead of the usual 24. Actually, it's worse than 8 bit RGB and of course far worse than camera RAW formats that have more than 10 bit per channel.

"raw" in image formats is often use to describe a format that has no headers with information about the data it contains (BMP, JPEG, TIFF etc. all have headers) - you need to know how it's encoded to open it properly.

Upvote 0