Great white lens overkill for a graduation?

Hi, this is not your typical "what's the cheapest lens I should use for a graduation ceremony" thread. I have a family member graduating with their MBA in a few months. I looked and the graduation will be held in what appears to be a large gym or something similar. I recently joint canon cps so I have been thinking of excuses to evaluate lens and thought this would be a good reason. Based on the distance and lack of light I figured something like a 300 2.8 + tele if necessary or 400 2.8 would be the best fit, but do you think that would be overkill? I could just shoot high ISO with my 100-400 or shoot wider with my 70-200. There is no guarantee I could get a lens to evaluate for the event, but I figured if I request it early enough.. Is there another lens you would suggest? Obviously we will also get the photos from the photographer on the stage, but I do like to shoot what I can.

Oh and other background, I will be shooting a 5d3. So full frame usable high iso.

Thanks for your help and opinions!

Three years ago the son graduated from HS. 1000 kids or so. Arena that seats 15000, from the walk at the top of the first level I shot with a 300mm f/2.8 with FF. Just the right length.

May be to dark for an extender, you may be shooting at F/2.8. I wouldn't even take one.

Every graduation I have been to, college or otherwise was open seating. If that's the case the best advice is to be the first in line and get to a seat fast.

Upvote 0

dcm

Enjoy the gear you have!
CR Pro
Apr 18, 2013
Colorado, USA
Vivid Color said:
Have you asked your family member who's graduating what they think of your idea? If he or she is for it, great, but if not, then just leave the big white at home.

Best suggestion yet. You don't want to be THAT relative. I can't see much use for a great white to get one shot, even if I had one.

I've done a few graduations for my kids. High school and bachelors degrees were done indoors with a G series and small external flash. Family and friends photos were taken indoors and outdoors around the venue on campus. All I had at the time, but good enough.

Masters degree was outdoors in a football stadium with separate departmental award ceremonies in lecture halls. Thought it would be a great opportunity for my DSLR and a tele. Shot some with a 70-200+extender in the stadium, probably wasn't worth it, nobody was really interested in those shots. A longer lens wouldn't have helped. My 24-105 got the money shots - the sea of grads during procession and receiving diplomas as well as candids before/after with the graduate, classmates, faculty, and family. Those were the ones everyone wanted copies, primarily to post online. The university got the diploma shot just fine for the family and it wasn't worth the effort for a split second opportunity that you probably can't setup exactly the way you want. More power to you if you can. Next time I'd only take a DSLR with a single lens - mid range zoom (24-70 or 24-105) - and enjoy the ceremony.

Upvote 0

Hjalmarg1

Photo Hobbyist
Oct 8, 2013
Doha, Qatar
chasinglight said:
Already said I would pay for the photos. I just like to shoot my own as well. Not stressing about it, just planning.

Close up portrait photos are not the ones that normally are beloved and kept forever by family members. As others have said, and you also agree, pay for the photos and enjoy the ceremony. However, I'd take my bag with only two lenses: the 70-200mm f2.8 and one standard medium telephoto (e.g 24-xxxmm/f2.8-4) for the group photos and portraits you want to keep.
Hauling with a big white is not a good idea unless you are paid for doing so.

Upvote 0
Nov 17, 2011
Few years back, my 6yrs was in ballet. The theater was always filled with parents from front to back rows, except last 4-5 always empty. Some families even arrived 1.5hrs to 2hrs before the dance trying to get the front center rows.

I did the opposite. I picked the very last row and center seat, which has the highest view. I took 5D3 + 70-200 f2.8 IS II and another 5D3 + 400mm f2.8 IS II, couldn't miss a shot. Many ended up 70mmish on wide views and some with close-up at 400mm @ wide open.

My suggestions. Ignore the people who might think you over pack or too much gear. Be focus on how you going to get "The Shots" and select the best locations. BTW...the 400mm f2.8 IS II doesn't look that big if you remove the hood. Use Black Rapid dual strap.

Upvote 0
Depends a bit on the school. There are a lot of "hoaky" MBA schools nowadays. If it's at a top tier school then by nature, the families will have a little more money and not be "impressed" by anything.

The attention is another thing because 100%, people will stare at you regardless of the school. I used to take my 200-400 to my kids' skating lessons but my wife made me stop bringing it because it was drawing too much attention.

The advice above about asking your subject is really appropriate because you might embarrass that person.

Upvote 0
I would like to put in a plea for all the other families who have relatives graduating on the day - whatever you do, don't interfere with their enjoyment. I sit on the stage at graduations and get to see quite a lot of what goes on in the audience. I am sometimes appalled by the behavior of relatives/friends who wave around big cameras and lenses, leap up at crucial moments, and generally get in the way of people around them also wanting to enjoy the moment for the person they have come to support. I know that at least one university now politely requests relatives to save the photographs for after the main event - an outright ban was considered, but they decided to try a polite request to see if that would improve behavior.

Why not enjoy the moment of the graduation and then take photographs of your relative in regalia where you can choose the background and generally control the environment? I don't recollect anyone taking photographs during my graduation (I graduated in the days of film), but frankly they would be of little value to me: the photographs I treasure were taken with my friends after the event.

Upvote 0
This probably won't be a popular response, but here's my take:

I would pay for the professional shots and enjoy the ceremony. Looking back at graduations and other events, I have missed many of them because I was too caught up trying to get a perfect photo. I can't get those memories back and my photos never turned out as well as I would have hoped. The shots I or others paid for were more than adequate and better than any I took, plus you're helping out a fellow photographer.

Also, as NancyP says, take out the camera after the graduation - that's when the most memorable photos will be taken!

Upvote 0
Oct 26, 2013
mackguyver said:

I would pay for the professional shots and enjoy the ceremony. Looking back at graduations and other events, I have missed many of them because I was too caught up trying to get a perfect photo. I can't get those memories back and my photos never turned out as well as I would have hoped. The shots I or others paid for were more than adequate and better than any I took, plus you're helping out a fellow photographer.

Also, as NancyP says, take out the camera after the graduation - that's when the most memorable photos will be taken!

Agree completely.

Upvote 0

YuengLinger

Print the ones you love.
CR Pro
Dec 20, 2012
USA
mackguyver said:

Mackguyver, you knew how to say, diplomatically, what I was trying to say.

Plus the part about supporting pro photography is very important. Not exactly the same, but sort of like the uncle who brings all his gear to a big wedding that already has a photographer.

Make it about the graduate, not the photography.

Upvote 0
AcutancePhotography said:
I often wonder how much photographers miss while trying to catch everything?

Is there really value in recording an experience that you did not really experience because you were busy trying to record the experience?
Unfortunately, this only seems to be something that you can learn from experience. Photography is exciting and fun and we want to show our loved ones how much we care by getting that special photo of their special moment. That seems reasonable, right? Unfortunately it's not really the case and looking back over the years, I'd trade a lot of photos for the experience of seeing it without a viewfinder stuck in between.

I'm sad to say that it hit me when my wife came off stage from a very special performance and asked me what I thought. All I could talk about was how much trouble it was to take the photo or what worked and didn't work. She wasn't angry with me, but I could see that she could care less about the photos, but was sad I didn't have much to say about her performance. It occurred to me that I barely remembered anything I had seen through the viewfinder and my photos didn't even turn out too well. I essentially missed the whole thing, which makes me quite sad in retrospect.

Upvote 0
My 2¢, for what it's worth (probably 2¢)... About a year ago I had just gotten my 6D and 70-300mm lens, and was itching to try them out. The grandson of a friend was graduating, and I went to photograph the event as a good opportunity to try out the new gear. To answer the op, the graduation was in a high school gym, and most of the pics I took were at 300mm, and were well framed. Yes, the family bought the photographer's photos, but ended up framing the one I took. Not that I'm a better photographer, but I had the better angle. I sat to the side, slightly in front of the stage.

While I agree with Mackguyver (as I usually do) if this is a close family member, it seems that we are making that assumption - the op did not state whether it is close family or not. If this is a distant relative, then the op may see the photo opportunity as his main motivation for attending. In which case, my experience would say to go for the 300mm...

Upvote 0
My daughters masters degree in chemistry takes place in Bath Abbey early July, I will surely take my 70-200 mk2 f2.8 and hope to get a few decent shots, done this before at my sons graduation in a lecture hall. Will of course buy the pro shots, also are hiring the gown for a extra week (not very expensive) so I can take pics after the event and again at home in near studio environment.

Alan

Upvote 0