How to not get beat up when photographing public places?

I'm not being facetious, but more than once now when taking out my camera in public places I've gotten threats from passers by and general dirty looks.

Just recently, here in Los Angeles a guy who was just walking by my shot (not the actual subject of it) threatened to beat the crap out of me if I was taking his picture. On another occasion in Texas, while taking some photos of an abandoned house, I was approached by two guys who started giving me a hard time.

Keep in mind than in most instances I'm not pointing my camera toward a complete stranger to grab a close up or anything of the sort, just pointing the camera in general directions without focusing on any one person in particular. Nor am I shooting in bad parts of town.

Any advice on how to diffuse a potentially dangerous situation? How do you guys handle a hostile person who threatens you if they suspect that you've just snapped a photo with them somewhere in it?

Do you try to conceal your cameras (kinda hard to do with a large body like the 5D)?

I'm all ears about both advice and any stories you're all willing to share as to a similar situation which happened to you.

Mar 25, 2011
Don't take photos of people in public unless you get signed permission. Many people are concerned about their photos showing up on the internet, and its a valid concern. If there are children with them, you could end up in trouble.

In some countries, you will end up in jail by photographing people without permission.

Claiming that you were not actually photographing anyone, is not going to be believable, if a person sees a camera pointed their way or toward their children.

As more and more so called street photographers take photos of people and children without their permission and post them on the internet, we will move closer and closer to totally restricting the use of cameras in public places.

[\soapbox]

Upvote 0
Aug 19, 2012
LOL...concealing the camera will make them even more mad if they are the confrontational type. So don't do that.

In some ways the size of the camera matters I think.

I have griped here on the "obviousness" of some lenses and bodies...while I own a one series body and have since 1DsII, for street work or even events I prefer smaller bodies and inconspicous lenses.

Other than bodily threats like those you describe, there is such a thing as being in someone's face even if they are cooperative.

Smaller the foot print, the better. And even the 5D's or rebels really don't meet that criteria in the strictest sense.

A Coolpix was gifted to me and I find it is less troublesome than the 5D3, but really don't use it much. Its like a cheap toy. The 1Dx on the street is really asking for attention, and certainly an overkill.

I came close to ordering the RX1 couple of weeks ago... yes, shocking I know... but the moment passed. But I can't say I am completely cured.

Upvote 0
Mt Spokane Photography said:
Don't take photos of people in public unless you get signed permission. Many people are concerned about their photos showing up on the internet, and its a valid concern. If there are children with them, you could end up in trouble.

Hmmm...ok....not sure where you got that information. At least in the USA, taking photos of public places, even if they include people in it is absolutely legal and does not require any special permission or a signed release form.

http://photorights.org/faq/is-it-legal-to-take-photos-of-people-without-asking

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Photography_and_the_law

http://content.photojojo.com/tips/legal-rights-of-photographers/

Anyway...back to the topic at hand, any advice on how to get someone off your back if they are overly sensitive?

Upvote 0

JoeDavid

Unimpressed
Feb 23, 2012
I've had the police called on me before as a "stalker" even though I was just photographing the exterior of a church in a downtown area on a Saturday. The police were pretty amused when they arrived but I wasn't.

My advice is to pick up a fellow photographer when you go out to shoot. It is weird but apparently two people with cameras is fine but one is suspicious these days...

Upvote 0
I often have to shoot in public places and understand your concerns. It's frustrating but as sad sign of our times ...

I was in the Californian desert near Twentynine Palms (Joshua Tree NP) taking this pic and i got hassled by some douche. Was just minding my own business and got verbal abuse.

I also work a lot in towns and cities shooting tourism imagery in UK and i find the more professional you look, the less hassle you get off the public. However, the more pro you look the more likely security are to hassle you. It's a double edged sword.

You could try wearing one of those luminous yellow waist coats so you look official. Everyone assumes you're doing a job, especially if your equipment looks pro and you use a tripod.

Not much else to suggest myself i'm afraid ... Just smile and be friendly.

Attachments

• 29_Palms.jpg
    29_Palms.jpg
    84.4 KB · Views: 5,175
Upvote 0
Feb 24, 2012
Murdy said:

Lol - are all your posts this ill-informed?

Well, i can't speak for mt spokane, but he might not be talking legal action. I'm sure there are many people out there that won't hesitate to lay their hands on you if they feel you are up to no good. That goes 10x when their kids are involved.

Upvote 0
Aug 19, 2012
JoeDavid said:
My advice is to pick up a fellow photographer when you go out to shoot. It is weird but apparently two people with cameras is fine but one is suspicious these days...

Truthfully, one or two photographers wouldn't help if the person is not happy with being photographed... and they are entitled to refusing.

Best policy is to stay in a spot and ask politely or gesture if they mind if you took a picture...expect a vast majority to say no or not even answer or turn their back.

This is why most of today's "street" photography has moved into exhotic places where the poor locals are not going to know what happens to these pics and who may be looking at them in pity or with scorn or indifference. Sad in some ways, that they don't get to choose as we do or may not have all the information, but that is the sign of our times.

In the US, particularly in big cities, people are less sensitive if you keep your distance. 135L comes in handy.

In smaller, mid size cities, small towns, or suburbs you should fully expect to be challanged if you don't ask for their permission.

Upvote 0
Don't take photos of people in public unless you get signed permission. Many people are concerned about their photos showing up on the internet, and its a valid concern. If there are children with them, you could end up in trouble. In some countries, you will end up in jail by photographing people without permission. Claiming that you were not actually photographing anyone, is not going to be believable, if a person sees a camera pointed their way or toward their children. As more and more so called street photographers take photos of people and children without their permission and post them on the internet, we will move closer and closer to totally restricting the use of cameras in public places.[\soapbox]

Totally untrue - except for the "in some countries" part. I'm sure there are some countries that prohibit such activity. Countries like North Korea and Iran for instance. Here in the USA, if its seen from a public place, its ok to shoot. There is no expectation of privacy, whatsoever, in public. The only "caution" is what is, and what is not, public. For instance, a public park, is public. A theme park, is not public - its private, with paid admission. I got ejected from the Palm Beach County Fair one year for taking pictures. That is, the Fairgrounds is public, but the event is private, held by private company that rents the public Fairgrounds for their private event! And so it said, on the back of my ticket stub, in fine print "... no commercial photography..." amid the rest of the clutter in about 2pt type. The cops said because I was shooting with medium format equipment, I was considered a commercial photographer. I didn't push the issue... left quietly, as I was pretty much done for the evening anyway.

Upvote 0

SiliconVoid

Freelance (film days) - Digital Enthusiast
Apr 6, 2011
I know it sounds like social interaction 101, but:
Smile, wave, gesture to the camera, say hello, ask how the person is doing, depending on the subject or scene perhaps even ask in advance.

I have found the least objectionable approach is to make sure you do not project yourself on the street in an act of 'surveillance', you should instead look for a place to sit for a little bit, at least stop, engage someone while you continue to observe what is going on around you.

(You will still encounter those who maybe do not like the way they look, do not want someone to know they were where ever it was you saw them, etc.. nothing you can do with that.)

Upvote 0

unfocused

Photos/Photo Book Reviews: www.thecuriouseye.com
Jul 20, 2010
Springfield, IL
www.thecuriouseye.com
I can't seem to put my fingers on it right now, but I recall a story by a photographer who took part in a workshop with Gary Winogrand, one of the greatest street photographers of all time.

Basically, if I recall, whenever a subject noticed Winogrand (which was hard not to have happen as he was not a small guy) he made a point of smiling at his subjects. The effect was disarming and he was obviously very successful in capturing the poetry of the street. Cartier Bresson took somewhat the opposite approach, sizing up the situation carefully, figuring out what he wanted to shoot then quickly moving the camera to has eye and getting the shot. He was small and tried to be as unobtrusive as possible.

Occasionally, we are all going to run into the goofball who takes it upon himself to lecture or harass you. If it's just an individual, just walk away, maybe with a "sorry, didn't mean any harm." If it's a police officer (and you are in the U.S., Canada or Europe) just tell them you are a hobbyist taking pictures. Be polite, but don't feel you have to surrender your ground or your equipment. You aren't doing anything wrong.

Streets are public places. There is no need to ask permission. There is no "right" to privacy in a public place. It gets a little dicier on private property. Most shopping malls, etc., won't let you photograph on their property. I've even seen security guards run off news teams from television stations. It's kind of a grey area, since they are inviting the public in and once you invite the public in, there is a case that can be made that the property is no longer private. Again, just apologize and move on.

Upvote 0
Midphase said:

Hmmm...ok....not sure where you got that information. At least in the USA, taking photos of public places, even if they include people in it is absolutely legal and does not require any special permission or a signed release form.

http://photorights.org/faq/is-it-legal-to-take-photos-of-people-without-asking

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Photography_and_the_law

http://content.photojojo.com/tips/legal-rights-of-photographers/

Anyway...back to the topic at hand, any advice on how to get someone off your back if they are overly sensitive?

this is true. And even in the case of children, no model release is necessary unless the shot is to be used for advertising.

Upvote 0
If you read the Christian Bible, you'll see that any time an angel appears to a human, the first thing they say is "Fear not."

That's important advice for anyone taking pictures in public. And I especially counsel that you do not heed the words of posters here who are ill-informed, don't seem to understand the concept of a free society and apparently live their lives in fear. The only time you would need a release for someone you've photographed in a public place is if the image will be used for commercial purposes.

Your question is vague so I'm not sure what the answer is for you. To say you're "...just pointing the camera in general directions without focusing on any one person in particular" is a bit suspect in itself. A camera requires focus, and I don't know anyone who takes pictures randomly without some point of focus. If that's all you're doing, get a pinhole camera -- nobody will even know what it is.

I do a lot of photography in public places, and I have general guidelines I follow. You'll find accomplished street photographers will all tell you generally the same thing.

1. Fear not. If you look tentative, it triggers apprehension in other people. The merely assertive may ask what you're doing. The aggressive and/or angry types may threaten you or at least try to intimidate you. If you're out there to take pictures, look like you know what you're doing and go about it in a businesslike manner. Don't look like you're afraid or like you're doing something you're not supposed to be doing.

2. Dress appropriately. If you're dressed in some extreme fashion, it calls attention to yourself for reasons that may make the camera suspicious. Military fatigues and leather are great for photographing streets scenes in the Castro -- it's not going to look so good shooting around Wall Street. Be aware how you're presenting yourself in both dress and manner.

3. Perhaps the most important thing to remember is that your best defense is a smile and a casual, personable demeanor. If you're not comfortable talking with strangers, you'll have to overcome that. You may want to explore the science of body language. I know and use gestures and mannerisms that communicate I'm not a threat. But the smile is the most powerful force you have -- use it freely! And keep smiling no matter what!

4. One street photographer I know uses lies if someone challenges him -- whatever it takes. If you're young, say you're doing an assignment for your teacher in class. Tell them you're scouting the area because you want to propose to your girlfriend here one day soon. Tell them you're looking for a place to shoot a big bikini layout for some magazine. If you've taken a picture of a person tell them you did it because they look so great or you love their clothes -- flattery can't be overplayed. Hell, tell them Walt Disney sent you. I've never had to use this tactic, but I've got it ready if I need it. Oh, and don't use this one with the police. If the police want to know what you're doing, be honest.

5. As someone already said, take someone else with you. It doesn't even have to be a photographer. People who will challenge one person rarely want to take on two people.

6. If someone tells you they simply do not want you to have their picture, smile and delete it for them. Show them as you delete it. Whatever it takes to keep the peace. But keep smiling. And for years to come you can tell the story of how you took the greatest photo ever made by man, and you had to delete it. Like all good stories, over the years it will be embellished, and eventually you'll have done it while the person held a "Dirty Harry" 44 magnum at your head!

7. One thing I do that I've never seen anyone do is carry what I call "Who the hell are you?" cards. They're standard business cards with a Web address, phone number, etc. I hand them to anyone I talk with on the street. (No physical address. Use a disposable cell phone if you don't want to use a real number.) Often I invite people to look at pictures I've taken of them on the Web and contact me if they want to use them or have prints -- making sure to say I'm not selling anything. Very few people have ever contacted me. What I've found is the mere existence of something they think is a business card instantly makes me legitimate. It's silly, as you can get a box of decent business cards for $10 from Vista Print, but it sure works. Again, whatever it takes to keep the peace.

8. Be aware of children. Nothing gets people excited faster than thinking a stranger is photographing children. While it is plainly legal in the U.S., to take pictures of children in public places, we've become a paranoid society, and it's better to self-censor yourself a bit in this regard.

9. Know and understand your legal rights. Here's the ACLU guide for photographers. This is applicable in the U.S.

Taking photographs of things that are plainly visible from public spaces is a constitutional right – and that includes federal buildings, transportation facilities, and police and other government officials carrying out their duties. Unfortunately, there is a widespread, continuing pattern of law enforcement officers ordering people to stop taking photographs from public places, and harassing, detaining and arresting those who fail to comply.

Your rights as a photographer:

1. When in public spaces where you are lawfully present you have the right to photograph anything that is in plain view. That includes pictures of federal buildings, transportation facilities, and police. Such photography is a form of public oversight over the government and is important in a free society.

2. When you are on private property, the property owner may set rules about the taking of photographs. If you disobey the property owner's rules, they can order you off their property (and have you arrested for trespassing if you do not comply).

3. Police officers may not generally confiscate or demand to view your photographs or video without a warrant. If you are arrested, the contents of your phone may be scrutinized by the police, although their constitutional power to do so remains unsettled. In addition, it is possible that courts may approve the seizure of a camera in some circumstances if police have a reasonable, good-faith belief that it contains evidence of a crime by someone other than the police themselves (it is unsettled whether they still need a warrant to view them).

4. Police may not delete your photographs or video under any circumstances.

5. Police officers may legitimately order citizens to cease activities that are truly interfering with legitimate law enforcement operations. Professional officers, however, realize that such operations are subject to public scrutiny, including by citizens photographing them.

6. Note that the right to photograph does not give you a right to break any other laws. For example, if you are trespassing to take photographs, you may still be charged with trespass.

And keep smiling!!

Upvote 0
Aug 19, 2012
distant.star said:
4. One street photographer I know uses lies if someone challenges him -- whatever it takes. If you're young, say you're doing an assignment for your teacher in class. Tell them you're scouting the area because you want to propose to your girlfriend here one day soon. Tell them you're looking for a place to shoot a big bikini layout for some magazine. If you've taken a picture of a person tell them you did it because they look so great or you love their clothes -- flattery can't be overplayed. Hell, tell them Walt Disney sent you. I've never had to use this tactic, but I've got it ready if I need it. Oh, and don't use this one with the police. If the police want to know what you're doing, be honest.

Distant star, I had no idea about this side of you ;D ;D

Upvote 0
H

Hobby Shooter

I try my best to get candid shots, but sometimes I do want to come closer, then it's a matter of communicating, either via a simple smile or walk up and ask. Sometimes when I'm in a market or so, I walk up very close and often even sit down with the people. It takes any tension out of the situation and I can capture very nice photos from the seller's perspective. If I'm on a distance, I'll sort of point to the camera and say OK?, normally people will accept you taking their picture.

Be yourself and be nice and polite, that'll sort the most problems.

Upvote 0
All good advice. I would add that maintaining a keen awareness of the presence of folks who may take a physical level of offense at your activities [as in gangsta types and wannabes, and big, mean drunks] is essential. And anything involving kids. I had a gun pulled on me many years ago, by a small-time punk, while I was unknowingly taking pictures of his kids, so it can get worse than a beating.

Upvote 0