Largest softbox size to use with 600 EX-RT?

Nov 12, 2013
Hi guys! I currently use on-camera 600 EX-RT with Gary Fong lightsphere, which works just fine for taking indoor and outdoor portraits. But I've finally decided to build up my off-camera outdoor lighting kit. I mostly take portraits of a single person, not a group of people. The question I have is what the right size of a softbox for this kind of portraits I should choose? I know the larger the size of a softbox, the more diffuse and even lighting is, but is there a softbox size that limits potential of 600 EX-RT? Currently, I'm choosing between 54x72" Chimera Super Pro Plus softbox and 69" Elinchrom Rotalux Octa Softbox, and I'll have Avenger C-Stand Grip Arm Kit to hold the softbox. Are these softboxes too large for a single person and for 600 EX-RT?

Thank you for your time to read my post.

Jul 21, 2010
It depends on how much light you'll need, but IMO a single Speedlite is best with ~600 in2 of double-diffused surface. So...a 24" softbox, 12x48 stripbox, or 27" octabox. With significantly larger modifiers, I'd consider a monolight, or gang up Speedlites (which isn't cost-effective with 600EX-RTs, although you can put 'dumb' optically-triggered strobes in a large Softbox with one RT-triggered 600.

Upvote 0
Nov 12, 2013
neuroanatomist said:
It depends on how much light you'll need, but IMO a single Speedlite is best with ~600 in2 of double-diffused surface. So...a 24" softbox, 12x48 stripbox, or 27" octabox. With significantly larger modifiers, I'd consider a monolight, or gang up Speedlites (which isn't cost-effective with 600EX-RTs, although you can put 'dumb' optically-triggered strobes in a large Softbox with one RT-triggered 600.

OK, thanks Neuro. I did not realize that 600 EX-RT was not very useful for large size softboxes. I'll look for a good monolight then.

Upvote 0
Jul 21, 2010
It does really depend on your use. If you are shooting with a wide aperture, and are willing to bump the ISO up a bit, the 600EX can work in a large modifier. Personally, when using a strobe/softbox set up, I usually have control of the background and I'm stopped down to f/11 or so, meaning I need a fair bit of power especially from the key light.

Have a look at the Paul C. Buff Einstein E640. Some of the new Profoto lights are excellent, but I don't think you can beat the Einstein for quality + value.

On the value end, if use will not be too heavy, you might look at Godox.

If portability is important, you also need to consider battery packs.

Upvote 0

YuengLinger

Print the ones you love.
CR Pro
Dec 20, 2012
USA
Neuro, as always, the math is appreciated, if not fully understood.

Even using your suggestions for modifier sizes, I'd like to emphasize that, as wonderful as the 600ex-rt is for many situations where super-portable lighting is needed, once the modifier goes on, or bounce is involved, we are looking at usable max f/stops of about f/5.6 - f/8, which is fine for some situations, but very limiting when fighting ambient light. Once you start raising the ISO, ambient light is just part of the picture.

And with the modifiers, even the nicely priced 24"x24" Impact softbox requires very close placement to the subject. Get much bigger than that, I imagine, and keeping the modifier out of the frame becomes a real challenge. (Note there is a nice grid available for this Impact.)

While the 600-ex-rt and the right little softbox can produce excellent headshots, once you want more, say even 3/4 body shots, things get difficult.

And don't overlook umbrellas for the Speedlites. I think they are even easier to use and can work great for individuals AND groups. With three Speedlites and umbrellas, I was able to nicely light a very big group of about 100 (four layers deep by about 25 people across). I think I was using 43" umbrellas, silver linings. This was early morning in deep shade. I had my ISO up a bit, but the dark trees behind the group made things easy. All I had to do in post was dodge a few faces about 1/3 stop.

I can vouch for the Einsteins. When I got my first one, I thought it would be a step up in complexity, but soon I learned how easy perfect exposures were with the CyberCommander's flash meter, and how classic portrait lighting was suddenly possible. The Vagabond battery pack is easy to hang on a light-stand under the Einstein. And the Buff modifiers are very good too.

As noted, incredible value for the money.

So, for environmental portraits, a couple or three Speedlites can add polish or a bit of drama, or open up shadows. But for isolating the subject and reaching a new level of creative (and classic) portraiture, strobes are the next step. Also, remember that composition will be more affected by the Speedlites, as you will have to frame more tightly to avoid including your lights and stands.

Plus, the CyberCommander with the right trigger works with Speedlites too, so you can easily combine the strobes and the Speedlites. Say you use one Einstein for lighting the subject, you can put a Speedlite or two in the background to add depth to the image (once you find the right lighting ratio, remembering to keep the f/stop down a bit on the subject so the Speedlites provide the effects you are after).

Lighting! One of my favorite topics!

Upvote 0
Nov 12, 2013
YuengLinger said:
Neuro, as always, the math is appreciated, if not fully understood.

Even using your suggestions for modifier sizes, I'd like to emphasize that, as wonderful as the 600ex-rt is for many situations where super-portable lighting is needed, once the modifier goes on, or bounce is involved, we are looking at usable max f/stops of about f/5.6 - f/8, which is fine for some situations, but very limiting when fighting ambient light. Once you start raising the ISO, ambient light is just part of the picture.

And with the modifiers, even the nicely priced 24"x24" Impact softbox requires very close placement to the subject. Get much bigger than that, I imagine, and keeping the modifier out of the frame becomes a real challenge. (Note there is a nice grid available for this Impact.)

While the 600-ex-rt and the right little softbox can produce excellent headshots, once you want more, say even 3/4 body shots, things get difficult.

And don't overlook umbrellas for the Speedlites. I think they are even easier to use and can work great for individuals AND groups. With three Speedlites and umbrellas, I was able to nicely light a very big group of about 100 (four layers deep by about 25 people across). I think I was using 43" umbrellas, silver linings. This was early morning in deep shade. I had my ISO up a bit, but the dark trees behind the group made things easy. All I had to do in post was dodge a few faces about 1/3 stop.

I can vouch for the Einsteins. When I got my first one, I thought it would be a step up in complexity, but soon I learned how easy perfect exposures were with the CyberCommander's flash meter, and how classic portrait lighting was suddenly possible. The Vagabond battery pack is easy to hang on a light-stand under the Einstein. And the Buff modifiers are very good too.

As noted, incredible value for the money.

So, for environmental portraits, a couple or three Speedlites can add polish or a bit of drama, or open up shadows. But for isolating the subject and reaching a new level of creative (and classic) portraiture, strobes are the next step. Also, remember that composition will be more affected by the Speedlites, as you will have to frame more tightly to avoid including your lights and stands.

Plus, the CyberCommander with the right trigger works with Speedlites too, so you can easily combine the strobes and the Speedlites. Say you use one Einstein for lighting the subject, you can put a Speedlite or two in the background to add depth to the image (once you find the right lighting ratio, remembering to keep the f/stop down a bit on the subject so the Speedlites provide the effects you are after).

Lighting! One of my favorite topics!

Thank you, YuengLinger and Neuro! Can you guys suggest me the best lighting kit for one individual only (stand, monolight, softbox, etc)? Price doesn't matter, well unless it's crazy expensive. I'm not making money by photographing. Thanks!

Upvote 0
Jul 21, 2010
Perio said:
Thank you, YuengLinger and Neuro! Can you guys suggest me the best lighting kit for one individual only (stand, monolight, softbox, etc)? Price doesn't matter, well unless it's crazy expensive. I'm not making money by photographing. Thanks!

I don't think there's really a one-size-fits-all solution. For example, here's my setup for 'corporate headshots' which uses four lights.

index.php

Key and fill are each a 600EX-RT in a Lastolite 24" Ezybox, both on Manfrotto 1051BAC stands. The key has a round mask diffuser panel (for catchlight shape), and the fill is gridded. The hair light is a 600EX-RT with a Honl 1/8" Speed Grid on a Manfrotto 420B Combi Boom. Background light is an Buff Einstein 640 with a white shovel background reflector, on a Manfrotto 012B backlight stand. The backdrops are Backdrop Alley muslin on a Manfrotto 1314B background support system. Speedlites were radio triggered with an ST-E3-RT and the monolight was optically slaved.

There are many ways to skin a cat. Two good places to start are Syl Arena's Speedliter's Handbook (the concepts apply to monolights as well) and the Strobist 101 blog.

Upvote 0

LDS

Sep 14, 2012
Perio said:
Can you guys suggest me the best lighting kit for one individual only (stand, monolight, softbox, etc)? Price doesn't matter, well unless it's crazy expensive. I'm not making money by photographing. Thanks!

If you're in US/Canada Paul C. Buff are a very good choice, but it doesn't sell outside US/Canada, and support could become then difficult. If you're in another part of the globe, I will give a look to Elinchrom's D-Lite RX-One and D-Lite RX 2/4 kits.

Upvote 0
size and spread of the light source can be just as important as size of the modifier. the concern i would have over using too large of a modifier with the 600 EX is weather or not i would get a wide enough and even enough spread of that light to fully take advantage of the modifiers capabilities. havent done tests myself so i have no clue...but the small size and recessed position of the light source of the 600 EX would lead to to believe that it may not spread well in an oversized softbox.

the ideal strobe source is one that includes a frosted dome or built in reflector that helps spread the light out evenly before even getting shaped by the modifier. a small harsh direct light source will be prone to have hot spots in the center with many types of modifiers you put around it. beauty dishes and socked umbrellas are two modifiers specifically designed to minimize hot spots and give the most even spread of the light possible.

as has been stated, i find the Einstein to be a fabulous light for reasons stated above. its comparable in price to a 600 EX but is so much more versatile in what it will be able to do for you in a studio setting. as far as taking it outside...again, havent tested enough to fully know but i do know you will run into additional challenges mixing the strobed light with available in some of the more extreme conditions. remember...all modifiers will suck some of the power out of your strobes capability. larger and more diffused modifiers may suck more power out that smaller and less diffused. alot to consider! in the end...i think the Einstein will give you the most capability.

Upvote 0
neuroanatomist said:
Perio said:

I don't think there's really a one-size-fits-all solution. For example, here's my setup for 'corporate headshots' which uses four lights.

index.php

Key and fill are each a 600EX-RT in a Lastolite 24" Ezybox, both on Manfrotto 1051BAC stands. The key has a round mask diffuser panel (for catchlight shape), and the fill is gridded. The hair light is a 600EX-RT with a Honl 1/8" Speed Grid on a Manfrotto 420B Combi Boom. Background light is an Buff Einstein 640 with a white shovel background reflector, on a Manfrotto 012B backlight stand. The backdrops are Backdrop Alley muslin on a Manfrotto 1314B background support system. Speedlites were radio triggered with an ST-E3-RT and the monolight was optically slaved.

There are many ways to skin a cat. Two good places to start are Syl Arena's Speedliter's Handbook (the concepts apply to monolights as well) and the Strobist 101 blog.

Thank you for the information Neruo, I am also looking at the options for studio/outdoor lighting, though i am focusing on outdoors and portability than on studio, so I am thinking of getting one softbox for now to shoot against the sun.

I did an engagement shoot recently and I borrowed a small softbox with 1 flash much like your key light setup, which I found to be not enough against mid day sun, so I used a reflector with it which made it okay, I am thinking of using a big octa softbox, much like the Elinchrom 69-Inch Rotalux Octa Softbox, and from what you said it seem I will need a monolight for it to be enough for lighting two persons against the sun, though i am not sure how to choose a monolight that has enough power? and will a softbox this size be enough?

Upvote 0

RLPhoto

Gear doesn't matter, Just a Matter of Convenience.
Mar 27, 2012
San Antonio, TX
www.Ramonlperez.com
Large mods are pretty useless with just one speedlite. You have to get them really close to get a usable amount of power in an octobox. In my use, two speedlites in the large photek soft lighter is the bare minimum to get a decent amount of power. So pushing a 60" softbox with one speedlite means you'll need to bump your ISO or shoot a faster aperture to get more power. Then you'll find you will be hitting your sync speed limit very quickly to control the ambient light. My best mod for a single speedlite is a 24" square pop-up softbox and the honl speed grids.

Anything larger than those, gang up two speedlites or use a strobe.

Upvote 0
Nov 12, 2013
RLPhoto said:
Large mods are pretty useless with just one speedlite. You have to get them really close to get a usable amount of power in an octobox. In my use, two speedlites in the large photek soft lighter is the bare minimum to get a decent amount of power. So pushing a 60" softbox with one speedlite means you'll need to bump your ISO or shoot a faster aperture to get more power. Then you'll find you will be hitting your sync speed limit very quickly to control the ambient light. My best mod for a single speedlite is a 24" square pop-up softbox and the honl speed grids.

Anything larger than those, gang up two speedlites or use a strobe.

Yeah, I'll probably buy a 24" softbox and use it with 600 EX-RT. And also will get a larger softbox and use it with the monolight... omg, I'm so illiterate in all of this.. thanks guys for your suggestions :)

Upvote 0

pwp

Oct 25, 2010
RickSpringfield said:
Einsteins are the way to go. Paul C. Buff, everything is less ............... except for the quality of light which is just as good as brands that are 2x - 4x more. Even modifiers are less, octa's, bdish, reflectors, grids, etc.

The only small nit with PCB is the build quality on the cyber commander. It'll get the job done for sure. Does it have the heft and feel of a well made electronic... nope. Having said that I've never had an issue.

Agree 100% on Einsteins. My studio was entirely Profoto up until a couple of years ago, two Pro6 floorpacks and six Compact 600 monos and high priced modifiers. The cost of ownership was high, I was on first name terms with the Profoto repairs guy.

The Profotos are all gone now, and we're all the way Einsteins with six heads, VML's and a shedful of mods. Lightweight. Reliable. Brilliant. And I love that you can dial them down to just 2.5 w/s

The Einsteins and VML's are great for location work, but I have to say I've been taking a pair of Godox AD-360's (triggering with Phottix Odin's for HSS) a lot more often for small jobs. The two heads, batteries, cables, Odins and mods all tuck into a compact packpack. OP, if you want inexpensive, ultra-compact and high enough power (360 w/s) to work with a large softbox, the AD360's deserve a close look.

-pw

Upvote 0
P

Pookie

Buff's are ok if you're static but if you're really looking for portability, Profoto B1 or Elinchrom Ranger or Quadra will be your best bet. I do lots of on site shoots for corporate, wedding and gen portraiture... nothing beats Profoto's or Eli's for onsite/studio versatility. The B2's by profoto are nice but unfort not enough power to really compete with the sun and if you're outside that's what you'll need. The Profoto B1 is 500ws and the Quadra's are 400ws. Ranger's are 1100ws and typically way more than needed.

I use B1's, Quadra's and Rangers in my studio and on site. Stellar light and unfort... nothing Buff's could pull-off until the make them smaller/more robust.

5D3's Profoto B1 or Quadra's into a 1 meter Octa...

You won't be doing this with Buff's (shooting in the surf)...

Upvote 0
I'd say what you need is a godox 360, or maybe even the 180. I'll speak for the 360, because that's what I have.

In comparison to a speedlight, it's waaay more powerful, even in comparison to the 600 so it will lit large modifiers with no problem. Also, it has a battery that will last for way longer than four AA. Further, it's bare bulb, so it will fill the softbox beautifully, unlike a speedlight. On the down side, it's bulky and heavy, but it's certainly portable and you can even mount it on the hot shoe. I know I do, and I don't even have a professional magnesium body.

In comparison to strobes, it's somewhat less powerful (360ws versus 400ws or 500ws for common portable strobes) but it's way more portable. Try mounting a strobe on your hot shoe!

Back to comparing it with your Canon 600, the Godox doesn't do TTL, it's manual only (albeit with a very easy to use remote power control), but it can do HSS (High Speed Sync) if you use the correct remote triggers, or have it on the hot shoe, so you don't have to worry about sunny days.
I'm attaching three pictures I did with it in the last month (the last one using HSS, since the background is in the sun).

Attachments

• C1.jpg
    C1.jpg
    516.8 KB · Views: 321
  • C2.jpg
    C2.jpg
    406.5 KB · Views: 328
  • P1.jpg
    P1.jpg
    522.8 KB · Views: 1,348
Upvote 0