Made the Jump

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well after months of deliberation have finally decided to do it! :)

Have jumped from an APS-C camera to a Full Frame...

I have been using a Canon 350D (apparently Rebel XT/Kiss for those in the US)....for years and is perfectly still fine to use, but today finally put a bend in the bank plastic and jumped to the 5D MKIII...

I'm like a kid waiting for christmas ;D but also knowing the cost just laid out :eek: for what effectively is a hobby and not a money earner...

Roll on next weeks delivery!

Congrats, you'll love your new 5D MKIII!

glongstaff said:
Well after months of deliberation have finally decided to do it! :)

Have jumped from an APS-C camera to a Full Frame...

I have been using a Canon 350D (apparently Rebel XT/Kiss for those in the US)....for years and is perfectly still fine to use, but today finally put a bend in the bank plastic and jumped to the 5D MKIII...

I'm like a kid waiting for christmas ;D but also knowing the cost just laid out :eek: for what effectively is a hobby and not a money earner...

Roll on next weeks delivery!

Upvote 0
Jul 14, 2012
glongstaff said:
cheers Menace....just got to get out there more than I did with the old camera

I bet you will find that happens -- your new camera is just much more enjoyable to use than your old one. As for suggesting that a ff camera might be a bit over the top for someone who isn't a professional, why should they have all the fun?

Upvote 0
Jan 27, 2013
congrats, enjoy it :)

I also went from 350D to FF camera (but 6D) in January, aaand... its different ;)
my 350D now sits on the shelf and I'm playing with the idea of converting it for IR photography, I'm just not sure I like IR photos that much and whether I shouldn't rather keep the good old 350D unmolested as a backup should 6D break, or for my girlfriend, or for going to some sandy beaches, shabby places etc. I don't want to bring 6D to

Upvote 0
Stig said:

I also went from 350D to FF camera (but 6D) in January, aaand... its different ;)
my 350D now sits on the shelf and I'm playing with the idea of converting it for IR photography, I'm just not sure I like IR photos that much and whether I shouldn't rather keep the good old 350D unmolested as a backup should 6D break, or for my girlfriend, or for going to some sandy beaches, shabby places etc. I don't want to bring 6D to

yeah,put the equipment up for sale...but still wondering whether too keep it myself seeing theres a Sigma 150-500mm with Optical Stabilisation (and with the crop factor is effectively 240mm-800mm)...have got some decent photos when sat at the opposite end of a playing field

Upvote 0
I wouldnt sell it.
Lets be honest how much are you really going to get from it? I have a 5d mark II and III and i am looking to get a third camera(it makes more sense for me because i do video where multiple are required)
But it is huge to have a camera that if i have the one risky shot I can do it with more confidence.
To me i would never sell almost any equipment to finance other equipment.
For example i could sell the 24-105 to get the 24-70II but when shooting video or having multiple cameras at a shoot is so much more helpful then the 600 dollars i would get for it.
just my opinion.

Upvote 0
Congrats!! I am also planning to make the jump within the next month. I am also a hobbyist and does not make any money from my camera. I own a 40D. I will keep it and also my 100mm f/2.8 Macro and 17-40mm L and planning to sell the 28-135 Kit lens and 70-300mm Non L. And may be get a 70-300mm L to complete my kit and make the best out of the 5D MIII ! hoping to enjoy the full frame world :)

Upvote 0
Jan 27, 2013
glongstaff said:
Stig said:

yeah,put the equipment up for sale...but still wondering whether too keep it myself seeing theres a Sigma 150-500mm with Optical Stabilisation (and with the crop factor is effectively 240mm-800mm)...have got some decent photos when sat at the opposite end of a playing field

I'm not sure the 8mp crop camera will give you more reach than when you crop the picture of a 22pm FF to the same size, the IQ will be even better (as explained in many Neuro's posts) and so far I'm right that the sigma is FF compatible I don't think that reach is a reason to keep 350D... then again, for what I could now realistically get for it I wont sell mine and rather keep it (for what I wrote earlier)

Upvote 0
I am confused as to what the jump is other that economically. For the crop users that claim the loss of the reach - boo hoo. For the increase in image quality it is a no brainer. For the increased wide angle imaginging, you scored. You can now buy an inexpensive 28mm f/1.8 and actually have wide angle images. It is not a jump, it is a step forward into the world of better photography that may not be necessarily more expensive. Sorry ally of the crop afficionaidos, this is reality. Now go shoot and enjoy the quality of you decision.

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.