Magic Lantern on the 5D Mark III

Status
Not open for further replies.
rpt said:
Is there any speed requirement for the card? Will it matter if I stick in an older card?

The suggestion is the sd card because the controller is crippled on the 5d3 and you're likely to exchange the faster cf more often, so you'd have to put ml on every cf instead of just one sd. Ml consists only of a 1mb autoexec.bin file (and some help screens and cropmarks), speed of the card doesn't matter at all.

Upvote 0
May 12, 2011
I wish they could add 1080p60. Almost every camera coming out recently has it, even much cheaper ones like the Sony A57 ($600), all the other Sony offerings, and the new Pansonic GH3 (haven't released price, but probably sub-$1k).

But Canon can't add it to a $3500 5D3 or $6000 C100? For the first time I'm starting to seriously consider ditching Canon.

Upvote 0

rpt

Mar 7, 2012
India
Marsu42 said:
rpt said:
Is there any speed requirement for the card? Will it matter if I stick in an older card?

The suggestion is the sd card because the controller is crippled on the 5d3 and you're likely to exchange the faster cf more often, so you'd have to put ml on every cf instead of just one sd. Ml consists only of a 1mb autoexec.bin file (and some help screens and cropmarks), speed of the card doesn't matter at all.
Thanks! I installed it yesterday and the alpha 1 works fine. So finally I will be able to MF. Waiting for the rest of the features. I guess this is why Canon gave us 2 cards on the 5D3 :)

Upvote 0
@!ex said:
I'm a member of the ML site now and anxiously awaiting 2.4 so we can get all the features on mk3. Any idea on timeframe?

I'd say at 2-3 month - feature porting is nowhere near complete, and beta testing will take some time. You can compile the latest trunk yourself though, just did it for my 60d, it's not that hard to do.

Upvote 0
Marsu42 said:
@!ex said:
I'm a member of the ML site now and anxiously awaiting 2.4 so we can get all the features on mk3. Any idea on timeframe?

I'd say at 2-3 month - feature porting is nowhere near complete, and beta testing will take some time. You can compile the latest trunk yourself though, just did it for my 60d, it's not that hard to do.

I'd be more than happy to beta test, I'll contribute some money once they get to that stage so I can get my hands on it a bit early.

Upvote 0
Marsu42 said:
@!ex said:

I need to start getting into this, maybe once summer and fall are over and I'm caught up with photos I will have some spare time to do this coding on top of my normal coding.

Upvote 0
This really is good stuff. Works with no problems at all so far. FInally we have zebra and focus peaking and a better histogram! The 5D3 basic basics are now set.

I think we will get improved IPB bitrates and maybe HDMI clean and such for better coding quality and that will be the next big leap.

Once that is all done it should be quite a decent cam for video. :D

Only crop modes will be lacking and those may have to wait on whether Canon wants to bother or not, if it is true that nobody can hack into and program the digic and readout.

Upvote 0
jcs said:
When testing out peaking, I noticed the left side of the camera got pretty warm- this didn't seem to happen previously (related to ARM processor heat?). I have a laser thermometer, may look into further when I have time. Anyone else notice this?

hmm I did feel the camera getting hot, I was thinking it was just because I was doing video, although it did seem perhaps a bit hot for so little time, not sure though hmm

Upvote 0
Marsu42 said:
CharlieB said:
I know they had problems with the dual processors ... there's a long explanation on the website. Maybe they've overcome things.

No, they haven't - ml doesn't run on dual-digic cameras (1dx, 7d) and all attempts to start user code have failed. But fortunately the 5d3 is single-digic only and very close to the 5d2.

EDIT: The ml alpha for 5d3 is out :) .. http://www.magiclantern.fm/forum/index.php?topic=2602.0

ML runs on dual digic cameras with g3gg0's hack finally but it's still on testing phase. Just wait a moment and you'll find ML running in 7D and 1DX.

http://magiclantern.wikia.com/wiki/7D_support

Upvote 0
verysimplejason said:
ML runs on dual digic cameras with g3gg0's hack finally but it's still on testing phase. Just wait a moment and you'll find ML running in 7D and 1DX.

Imho the moment will take several month because the dev focus is the 5d3 at the moment, and that'll be some time because there seem to be some unexpected regressions w/ the new digic5 cpu. And for ml to run on the 1dx you'll have to donate or lend one to the devs :->

LetTheRightLensIn said:
hmm I did feel the camera getting hot, I was thinking it was just because I was doing video, although it did seem perhaps a bit hot for so little time, not sure though hmm

Peaking is one of more cpu-intensive things to do (depends on the algorithm you select in the menu), so as w/ running video you might feel the camera getting warmer. But it's been tried so many times by so many people there's really no reason to worry.

Upvote 0
KurtStevens said:
So is the alpha worth downloading?

If you are ok w/ running a ml pre-release on your 5d3 - of course, many main features are already there (zebras, peaking). The most important thing now is to report regressions/bugs back to the ml forum, alex just changed the feature set for the alpha2 (will be here shortly) because of some far-in-between freezes he couldn't reproduce. That's why I'm always saying it'll be a while before a final 5d3 version will arrive.

Upvote 0
Marsu42 said:
verysimplejason said:

Imho the moment will take several month because the dev focus is the 5d3 at the moment, and that'll be some time because there seem to be some unexpected regressions w/ the new digic5 cpu. And for ml to run on the 1dx you'll have to donate or lend one to the devs :->

LetTheRightLensIn said:

Peaking is one of more cpu-intensive things to do (depends on the algorithm you select in the menu), so as w/ running video you might feel the camera getting warmer. But it's been tried so many times by so many people there's really no reason to worry.

I believe Alex is doing the 5D3 but g3gg0 is doing most of the work for 7D. As for 1DX, I think somebody will lend it eventually. I don't know but I get the feeling that the 1DX hack will include making it into a 1DC. If this is a probability, some guys in the movie industry will certainly sponsor this.

Upvote 0
verysimplejason said:
I believe Alex is doing the 5D3 but g3gg0 is doing most of the work for 7D. As for 1DX, I think somebody will lend it eventually. I don't know but I get the feeling that the 1DX hack will include making it into a 1DC. If this is a probability, some guys in the movie industry will certainly sponsor this.

From what I see in the mercurial logs, g3gg0 does the low-level stuff, but other people (mainly alex) do the programing. And did I mention I personally added focus bracketing to the current ml trunk :) ... it's great programing your camera, that's why I don't want to switch to Nikon.

Concerning 1dx/1dc: If someone really hacks the 1dx and backports the 1dc firmware, ml imho will be in real trouble because Canon will change the "ignore" policy to "hostile". So I could do w/o 1dc features on the 1dx, I cannot afford one anyway. Magic Lantern is a community project to beef up low- to midrange dlsr, not saving money for rich people.

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.