My full street photography kit and why my 5dmk3 is perfect for street shooting.

Status
Not open for further replies.
It always makes me chuckle when I see people use tape to hide the Canon logo etc.

You are generally very safe in south east Asia, probably much more so than in many western countries, but the idea that putting tape on a camera is going to make you any less attractive to an opportune mugger, does not imvho make any sense. I would imagine that to most in need of a quick fix of cash - for whatever purpose - are perfectly happy with whichever brand of camera you may have. In fact, a smart mugger might even wonder why you had gone to the bother of trying to conceal the camera as something it is not (ie. non-branded, older, broken etc) and take even more interest in it.

Still this thread seems to be a good way for Mark to advertise his website. No harm there, I guess.

Upvote 0
Yeah... just another day of street photography... don't mind me... :eek:

index.php

Here's my kit! granted with this glass I can do street photography from a street in ANOTHER ZIP CODE from my subject... but hey..

Upvote 0

EdB

Oct 4, 2012
miah said:
EvilTed said:
That is akin to sniping.
Find yourself a good place to hide and wait?
Sorry mate, but this voyeurism, not street photography.
Having the balls to get up close and personal to take the shot in the first place is the whole point of street photography...

ET

P-a-h-le-a-s-e: "sniping", "voyeurism?" "Having the balls to get up close?" You need to grow some manners there, Evil Ted. If not, you're the photographer who will give the rest of us a bad name.

Shooting with a long lens is just as disrespectful as getting up close. If you believe the people you are photographing don't want to be photographed in their grief then don't do it from any distance. That type of photography gives us just as much as a bad name.

Upvote 0
Mark Carey said:
This post is a supplement to my earlier blog post on the Psychology and technique in street photography. I am an experienced street photographer shooting predominantly in India and South East Asia. I have for the last year or so moved over to a 5dmk3 as my main camera and the more I use it the more I like it.

If you are interested to see what I think of this camera, good and bad, and what other gear I use please take a look.

Thanks.
Mark.

http://www.markcareyphotography.com/2013/my-street-photography-kit/

C'mon mark, don't you want to walk around with one of these BIG WHITE-ZILLA LENSES in your travels....
JJC-LH87-W-01.jpg

Canon BLING at its best!!!!

Upvote 0
Sep 18, 2012
USA
Shooting with a long lens is just as disrespectful as getting up close. If you believe the people you are photographing don't want to be photographed in their grief then don't do it from any distance. That type of photography gives us just as much as a bad name.

Perhaps. But in the case I cited, which was just one of many examples I could have cited to underscore my point that longer focal lengths can be useful in street shooting, I didn't know that they didn't want to be photographed. I just thought it was disrespectful to even interrupt them to ask, which I typically do before shooting anyone. We're all going to be in a funeral one day, no one escapes that one; it's part of life. And the image I snapped from afar was quite respectful in that it showed little detail of the individuals involved, and more of the procession, the custom, the way in which this particular culture says goodbye to a loved one.

As others have pointed out, it's not productive to try and define "street shooting" for anyone else. But I think we can probably agree that street shooting occurs "on the street," that is, in public spaces where we all give up a bit of our privacy by virtue of simply being there.

Upvote 0
expatinasia said:
It always makes me chuckle when I see people use tape to hide the Canon logo etc.

You are generally very safe in south east Asia, probably much more so than in many western countries, but the idea that putting tape on a camera is going to make you any less attractive to an opportune mugger, does not imvho make any sense. I would imagine that to most in need of a quick fix of cash - for whatever purpose - are perfectly happy with whichever brand of camera you may have. In fact, a smart mugger might even wonder why you had gone to the bother of trying to conceal the camera as something it is not (ie. non-branded, older, broken etc) and take even more interest in it.

Still this thread seems to be a good way for Mark to advertise his website. No harm there, I guess.

I would disagree with your psychology Im afraid.
For a start Im not trying to hide any specific logo. I just want to make the camera look a bit beaten up. I have found myself in all sorts of situations where a shiny new camera would be beacon to someone who was keeping an eye out for that sort of thing. Its a no brainer. Most people I meet actually think my camera is broken and if some opportunistic thief's think they are going to steal from me or the next guy I would suggest they will probably go for the shiny camera.
On the street it also has the benefit of not flashing anything white, ie the writing. If I can so anything not to draw the eye a little I do.
I also think at some level if you are not wandering around poor neighbourhoods with equipment that screams look how flashy and expensive I am' then that is probably is not such a bad thing. I mean that in the sense that you are not flaunting your wealth.

At the end of the day its just a bit of black tape on my camera and I suspect it does me a bit more good than harm.

Point taken about Asia being safe though - I totally agree. I have never had anything stolen there. Much safer than at home. My kit doesn't go out with me every day at home so I just try and minimise my chances. I have to say I felt I definitely had to keep my wits about me in Delhi, however.

Upvote 0
miah said:

Perhaps. But in the case I cited, which was just one of many examples I could have cited to underscore my point that longer focal lengths can be useful in street shooting, I didn't know that they didn't want to be photographed. I just thought it was disrespectful to even interrupt them to ask, which I typically do before shooting anyone. We're all going to be in a funeral one day, no one escapes that one; it's part of life. And the image I snapped from afar was quite respectful in that it showed little detail of the individuals involved, and more of the procession, the custom, the way in which this particular culture says goodbye to a loved one.

As others have pointed out, it's not productive to try and define "street shooting" for anyone else. But I think we can probably agree that street shooting occurs "on the street," that is, in public spaces where we all give up a bit of our privacy by virtue of simply being there.

The disrespect was not 'shooting it'. Had you waded in to their midst and drawn any attention away from the funeral, that would have been the disrespectful thing and you chose not to do that. Sometimes we choose a long lens for other reasons than to hide.

Ive shot in churches where the priest was happy with me to shoot with a long lens but not a short one. He didnt mind me shooting as long as it wasnt an intrusion. Its not a million miles away from this case.

If any of you are interested in respectful photographers you should check out this.
War Photographer - James Nachtwey 1/7

Upvote 0

Rienzphotoz

Peace unto all ye Canon, Nikon & Sony shooters
Aug 22, 2012
expatinasia said:
You are generally very safe in south east Asia, probably much more so than in many western countries,
Highly debatable ... lets not go there :)
expatinasia said:
In fact, a smart mugger might even wonder why you had gone to the bother of trying to conceal the camera as something it is not (ie. non-branded, older, broken etc) and take even more interest in it.
If he is a "smart mugger" he wouldn't be stealing beat up stuff that are fixed with a tape. You are just over analyzing a time tested method.
expatinasia said:
You guess right, there is no harm in a talented photographer displaying his work, especially if he is as good as Mark.

Upvote 0

Rienzphotoz

Peace unto all ye Canon, Nikon & Sony shooters
Aug 22, 2012
Mark Carey said:
If any of you are interested in respectful photographers you should check out this.
War Photographer - James Nachtwey 1/7
My thoughts after watching the video:
Sad: for the people
Cringe: at the choice of words used by the executives
Awe & Respect: for the photographer and his single minded focus

Upvote 0
You can do street photography with a DSLR. Sometimes you might have to stay in one spot for a while so people adjust to you being there, and you fade in to the background in people's eyes. I find that the thing that makes me stand out more is when I have a hood on a 24 - 70 lens. The hood marks you out as 'pro'. Canon's longer lenses being white don't help you fade into the background though!

Upvote 0
Rienzphotoz said:
expatinasia said:
You are generally very safe in south east Asia, probably much more so than in many western countries,
expatinasia said:
In fact, a smart mugger might even wonder why you had gone to the bother of trying to conceal the camera as something it is not (ie. non-branded, older, broken etc) and take even more interest in it.
If he is a "smart mugger" he wouldn't be stealing beat up stuff that are fixed with a tape. You are just over analyzing a time tested method.
expatinasia said:
You guess right, there is no harm in a talented photographer displaying his work, especially if he is as good as Mark.

Really? Many people would claim that most countries in SE Asia are much safer than the big western cities in the US or Europe. I am not sure how much time you have spent in either but I have spent a lot of time in SE Asia and Europe.

As for the thread, and Mark's work. No comment. This thread is purely to build interest in his website. At least that is the main aim, both through SE linkage and actual human clicks.

And as for that bit in the middle?! Time tested? Over analyzing? - It's tape on an almost brand new camera, how stupid do you think these muggers are?! Do you seriously believe that a drugged up mugger is going to spend time looking whether it is a 50D, 5D Mark I, II, or III and whether its owner has taken care of it properly....LOL

Upvote 0
Thanks for the video, Mark. Interesting as I've been on two sides of that story -- photographer and editorial staff. It can seem very cold as editors sit and discuss the merits of publishing different images, especially ones so graphic and wrenching. It can feel so disconnected from the reality portrayed.

On the photographer side, it's really hard to bring a camera into that setting. For me, it's almost like going over a wall -- you just don't want to do it, but once you're over, it's about getting the shots and nothing else. The heartbreak for the folks comes later -- with the images. And I think if you don't feel that emotion, the pictures won't show it. Psychopaths don't make good photographers, I guess.

Upvote 0
H

Hobby Shooter

expatinasia said:
Rienzphotoz said:
expatinasia said:
expatinasia said:
expatinasia said:

Really? Many people would claim that most countries in SE Asia are much safer than the big western cities in the US or Europe. I am not sure how much time you have spent in either but I have spent a lot of time in SE Asia and Europe.

As for the thread, and Mark's work. No comment. This thread is purely to build interest in his website. At least that is the main aim, both through SE linkage and actual human clicks.

And as for that bit in the middle?! Time tested? Over analyzing? - It's tape on an almost brand new camera, how stupid do you think these muggers are?! Do you seriously believe that a drugged up mugger is going to spend time looking whether it is a 50D, 5D Mark I, II, or III and whether its owner has taken care of it properly....LOL
I'm with you on this one. I have spent the largest part of the last ten years in South East Asia and so far have I never been threatened. It's a matter of common sense. In Jakarta obviously you have to take serious precautions but in Indochina I have mostly been fine. I have ended up in the wrong spots a couple of times, but those were late night when my judgement has been a bit blurred and I didn't carry any gear.

The only precaution camera wise I have taken is that I have changed the strap from the shiny Canon EOS 5D Mark III that also screams out: "I have a new cool camera, look at me!". Maybe not so much for safety as for not trying to draw attention to myself, which is not easy anyway since I am quite tall and blond and stand out whatever I try anyway.

As for people promoting themselves here, if they want to do that, that's fine by me but it's not my style.

Upvote 0
Hobby Shooter said:
expatinasia said:
Rienzphotoz said:
expatinasia said:
expatinasia said:
expatinasia said:

I'm with you on this one. I have spent the largest part of the last ten years in South East Asia and so far have I never been threatened. It's a matter of common sense. In Jakarta obviously you have to take serious precautions but in Indochina I have mostly been fine. I have ended up in the wrong spots a couple of times, but those were late night when my judgement has been a bit blurred and I didn't carry any gear.

The only precaution camera wise I have taken is that I have changed the strap from the shiny Canon EOS 5D Mark III that also screams out: "I have a new cool camera, look at me!". Maybe not so much for safety as for not trying to draw attention to myself, which is not easy anyway since I am quite tall and blond and stand out whatever I try anyway.

As for people promoting themselves here, if they want to do that, that's fine by me but it's not my style.

Well, I already answered the point on my reasoning behind making my camera look a bit beaten up, if this poster wishes to continue with the idea that it is to deter 'muggers' who wont differentiate then he hasn't read my earlier response.
My camera no longer looks like a shiny 5d3 for various reasons, tatty strap, tatty, pealing tape etc You are welcome to think that makes no difference at all to the whether that camera will be targeted for any kind of theft but Im afraid I would have to disagree.

I do think your body language can affect greatly how much attention is drawn to yourself regardless of your size.

Self promotion? One of the reasons I write blog posts is to encourage views to it yes that is true. Did I post here to encourage people to visit my site - yes I did.

Upvote 0
Mark Carey said:
Self promotion? One of the reasons I write blog posts is to encourage views to it yes that is true. Did I post here to encourage people to visit my site - yes I did.

Thanks. I'm glad you did.

I'm always looking for people worth reading -- especially when they have something useful to say about street photography.

Upvote 0
H

Hobby Shooter

Mark Carey said:
Hobby Shooter said:
expatinasia said:
Rienzphotoz said:
expatinasia said:
expatinasia said:
expatinasia said:

Well, I already answered the point on my reasoning behind making my camera look a bit beaten up, if this poster wishes to continue with the idea that it is to deter 'muggers' who wont differentiate then he hasn't read my earlier response.
My camera no longer looks like a shiny 5d3 for various reasons, tatty strap, tatty, pealing tape etc You are welcome to think that makes no difference at all to the whether that camera will be targeted for any kind of theft but Im afraid I would have to disagree.

I do think your body language can affect greatly how much attention is drawn to yourself regardless of your size.

I completely agree with you about body language. A lot of it is down to how you carry yourself, no matter what gear you are carrying. If you look apprehensive and not sure what to do there definitely is a higher risk of being approached by the wrong people.

Upvote 0

EdB

Oct 4, 2012
miah said:

Removing yourself from the situation by increasing distance removes a lot of emotion from the image. Watch the video Mark posted of Nachtwey, he is right in the middle of the scene very close to his subjects. You don't get those kinds of images being two blocks away. I said it before, if you don't feel comfortable shooting it up close, don't shoot it at all.

In the case of the funeral procession and without seeing the image, I would venture a guess that the shot is more documentary in nature than actual street photography.

And FWIW, Nachtwey doesn't shoot street photography, he is a documentary photographer. A lot of people seem to think if it's shot on the street it is "street" photography. That doesn't cut it in my view.

Upvote 0
Grumbaki said:
Please people, those are the key words:

Mark Carey said:
shooting predominantly in India and South East Asia.

Mark carey, in south east asia.

Except if he has local heritage, he will be conspicuous. There is no freaking point in trying to avoid it with a small camera.

Actually a large camera (and some skill in local langage) get you way better interaction and sneaky candids than touristy cameras. Show you are "local". I'm in china, got a tshirt made for friendly shooting spots that reads: just another alien photograph, give me your qq i'll give you your picture." (and then my own qq, which is a very local social network/messaging system). It's the most gimmicky thing ever but you get great results by knowing you are different but making use of it.

Actually the only bad point is that you get way more work with the portraits they'll ask, pics of you they wanna take, general discussion time but generally ends up in being great memories and discussion around a few beers.

haha love the qq t shirt idea!

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.