National Geographic photographer Bob Krist explains why he moved to Sony

I didn’t start out looking to jump ship from my favorite line of DSLRs to Sony mirrorless, cameras. It just kind of happened out of necessity.
I’m a 30+year veteran shooter for National Geographic publications. A few years ago, they asked me to go along on one of the high end, educational private jet tours that their new division, National Geographic Expeditions, was starting to offer. I would teach lecture and teach photography, and oh, could I also shoot some video and stills of the trip?.....

read more:

http://www.sonyalpharumors.com/

and read this too:

http://www.oldmaninmotion.com/four-great-still-shooting-feats-my-sub-1k-mirrorless-can-do-that-my-3k-dslr-cant/

what he doesn't do is illustrate his decision with one half descent picture! Certainly nothing that I would deem National Geographic worthy!
Reading the alpha rumours link it seems his decision was based on wanting to be able to take "Run and Gun" video of money-rich but time-poor people on "whirlwind tours"....
For me the article is hardly a compelling thesis on why a stills shooter interested in creating nice images should give up their DSLR.
Or, for that matter, why anyone in their right mind should go on national geographic tour!

Upvote 0

Sporgon

5% of gear used 95% of the time
CR Pro
Nov 11, 2012
Yorkshire, England
Hmmm....

At a recent wedding held in a wonderful, ancient Saxon church ( part of it from about 980 AD) the vicar, who was extremely strict about photography in the church, allowed me, after suitable arm twisting, to shoot from one of the chapels in the sacrestry, "as long as there was no flash and no sound whatsoever". Using a 5D I just shot that part in live view, totally silent.

1/1600 flash. Wow ! I just use HSS.

Ten frames per second ? OK I'll have to get a 7DII ( which doesn't cost $3300)

Dust on the sensor ? Now that really is stretching the boundaries of reasons to change systems.

So to conclude this is one of the weaker lists of reasons that I have seen for changing.

Upvote 0
Sporgon said:
Hmmm....

At a recent wedding held in a wonderful, ancient Saxon church ( part of it from about 980 AD) the vicar, who was extremely strict about photography in the church, allowed me, after suitable arm twisting, to shoot from one of the chapels in the sacrestry, "as long as there was no flash and no sound whatsoever". Using a 5D I just shot that part in live view, totally silent.

1/1600 flash. Wow ! I just use HSS.

Ten frames per second ? OK I'll have to get a 7DII ( which doesn't cost $3300)

Dust on the sensor ? Now that really is stretching the boundaries of reasons to change systems.

So to conclude this is one of the weaker lists of reasons that I have seen for changing.

What you said. Also, it sounds like what he wants for video is a camcorder. Moreover, downsampling isn't the only thing which causes moire...

This reads like a cheap advertisement for sony, written to lure in entry level people looking to upgrade.

And the guy's pictures were not at all stand out for anything...

Upvote 0
Jura said:
what he doesn't do is illustrate his decision with one half descent picture! Certainly nothing that I would deem National Geographic worthy!

unlike you. a self proclaimed critic who has not shown a single picture. :D

Bob Krist is a freelance photographer who works regularly on assignment for magazines such as National Geographic Traveler, Smithsonian, and Islands. These assignments have taken him to all seven continents and have won awards in the Pictures of the Year, Communication Arts, and World Press Photo competitions. During his work, he has been stranded ona glacier in Iceland, nearly run down by charging bulls in southern India, and knighted with a cutlass during a Trinidad voodoo ceremony. He won the title of “Travel Photographer of the Year” from the Society of American Travel Writers in 1994, 2007, and 2008. In 2000 his work was honored at the Eisenstaedt Awards for Magazine Photography in New York City.

now i would really like to see some of your images guys.
you know something that shows your DSLR´s are superior. ;)

you seem to have the idea, that because he changed the camera he suddenly became a worse photographer.
i mean sure all the snapshots you take on vacations are masterpieces.... so don´t be shy!

but hey why i ask... mr. and mrs. anonymous on the internet sure know better than this guy. :p

Upvote 0
This is what I don't understand about the photography "community".

Some guy decides to switch camera companies. He is not saying that his previous camera sucked, nor is he saying that he thinks that every other photographer needs to follow his lead. He simply made a choice.

But, when the story is posted, look at the defensive (and sometimes offensive) posts.

Who cares if this person switches camera systems? Clearly it was the right decision for him

Equally clear is that his reasons should have no influence on anyone else's decision to stay or move.

No one here can say that his reasons for switching are wrong for him.

So he switched to another manufacturer. Good for him. I wish him the best of luck and I hope that his new system makes him happy.

So why did some people feel it was appropriate, or even helpful, to attack his photography?

It just does not make sense.

Upvote 0
Jon_D said:
AprilForever said:

says mr. anonymous on the internet.
at least he made it to nat geo... you? :p

care to share some of your work?

he does:

http://bobkrist.com/

I agree Krist's body of work is impressive, including many stunning images, but I also agree that the photos included with his ringing endorsement of Sony mirrorless are not great. They're not among his best photos. He also doesn't seem to tout the image quality--just praises the portability and versatility--of Sony mirrorless.

In short, it's interesting to get the perspective of a bona fide pro on the advantages of the NEX/A7 systems, but not exactly a killer argument for ditching Canon or Nikon depending on your usage.

Upvote 0

Don Haines

Beware of cats with laser eyes!
Jun 4, 2012
Canada
AcutancePhotography said:
This is what I don't understand about the photography "community".

Some guy decides to switch camera companies. He is not saying that his previous camera sucked, nor is he saying that he thinks that every other photographer needs to follow his lead. He simply made a choice.

But, when the story is posted, look at the defensive (and sometimes offensive) posts.

Who cares if this person switches camera systems? Clearly it was the right decision for him

Equally clear is that his reasons should have no influence on anyone else's decision to stay or move.

No one here can say that his reasons for switching are wrong for him.

So he switched to another manufacturer. Good for him. I wish him the best of luck and I hope that his new system makes him happy.

So why did some people feel it was appropriate, or even helpful, to attack his photography?

+1000

If company X made camera model Y that was better than every other camera for every possible reason, then that would be the only camera that people would select. until someone invents a camera that meets a multitude of conflicting requirements, people will choose what works best for their criteria.... and to those people I say "Go for it!"

Upvote 0

Don Haines

Beware of cats with laser eyes!
Jun 4, 2012
Canada
iron-t said:
Jon_D said:
AprilForever said:

he does:

I agree Krist's body of work is impressive, including many stunning images, but I also agree that the photos included with his ringing endorsement of Sony mirrorless are not great. They're not among his best photos. He also doesn't seem to tout the image quality--just praises the portability and versatility--of Sony mirrorless.

In short, it's interesting to get the perspective of a bona fide pro on the advantages of the NEX/A7 systems, but not exactly a killer argument for ditching Canon or Nikon depending on your usage.

but what if portability and versatility are his major requirements.......

Upvote 0

azizjhn

CR Pro
Apr 5, 2012
Don Haines said:
iron-t said:
Jon_D said:
AprilForever said:

he does:

but what if portability and versatility are his major requirements.......

Maybe thats right but that alone is acceptable & convincing but other than that for what he said is just bad execuses

Upvote 0
Jon_D said:
Jura said:

unlike you. a self proclaimed critic who has not shown a single picture. :D

Bob Krist is a freelance photographer who works regularly on assignment for magazines such as National Geographic Traveler, Smithsonian, and Islands.

...now i would really like to see some of your images guys.
you know something that shows your DSLR´s are superior. ;)

...but hey why i ask... mr. and mrs. anonymous on the internet sure know better than this guy. :p

Bob Krist's accomplishments and talent aside, this thread has examples of a kind of pseudo-logic I always find interesting - the idea that only those who are themselves highly capable are entitled to have "an opinion" about anyone else's performance.

Do you have an opinion about the president of the U.S.? (Have you ever been a successful president of the U.S.?)

Do you have an opinion about Rap music? (Are you a recognized rap musician?)

Do you like/dislike some paintings in a museum? (Are you an accomplished painter?)

Do you have an opinion about pants hanging off a**es with undershorts filling the waist-leg gap? (Are you acclaimed as a fashion critic?)

What do you think of breast-feeding in public? ( Oh, wait, have you ever been a mother with a child to nurse?)

Do you think some pro quarterbacks are very good, and some less-so? ( Answer only if you are one of the good ones. )

...ad infinitum ( or nauseam ) :p

Upvote 0

You don't like the message, either directly or because it reminds you of something related? Yet know you can''t refute it? Shoot the messenger who puts a finger in the wound.
It's an all to common behavioral pattern...

Upvote 0
Larry said:
Bob Krist's accomplishments and talent aside, this thread has examples of a kind of pseudo-logic I always find interesting - the idea that only those who are themselves highly capable are entitled to have "an opinion" about anyone else's performance.

Do you have an opinion about the president of the U.S.? (Have you ever been a successful president of the U.S.?)

Do you have an opinion about Rap music? (Are you a recognized rap musician?)

Do you have an opinion about pants hanging off a**es with undershorts filling the waist-leg gap? (Are you acclaimed as a fashion critic?)

I wonder if there is some sort of connective thread running through these examples. I just can't seem to put my finger on it.....hmmmm

Also, making the argument that ignorance of a subject is no barrier to forming an opinion. Wow.

Upvote 0
There are people here who are far too emotional about photography gear.

Just because someone chooses to use a different system, does NOT mean that my system is bad, nor does it mean that somehow I am a lessor photographer.

But that's the impression I get from some of the posters on this site. A difference of opinion is considered an attack that must be defended against!

Upvote 0
Steve said:
I wonder if there is some sort of connective thread running through these examples. I just can't seem to put my finger on it.....hmmmm

Also, making the argument that ignorance of a subject is no barrier to forming an opinion. Wow.

Read into things much? The examples were chosen *because* most people have opinions on the subjects. Very perceptive of you to (almost) put your finger on the "connection"

"Also," Ignorance is only a barrier to forming an "educated" opinion. Lacking the adjective doesn't stop many people.

Wow!

Upvote 0
But that's the impression I get from some of the posters on this site. A difference of opinion is considered an attack that must be defended against!

Its honestly one of the reasons I keep coming here. Its just so entertaining. It never fails to blow my mind how much of some people's identity is wrapped up in what brand of camera they use.

Larry said:
Read into things much? The examples were chosen *because* most people have opinions on the subjects.

So....you voted for Obama, love hip hop and celebrate popular youth fashion? You'll forgive me for assuming that someone posting these things on a forum that skews heavily toward wealthy, middle-aged/elderly American and European white men had a specific opinion in mind.

You are right that ignorance doesn't stop people from forming opinions but it really really should.

Upvote 0