New Adobe feature, Boundary Warp.

Jan 29, 2011
I know Adobe is a bit of a dirty word around here but today's update to ACR and LR introduced a new feature which seems very powerful and useful for those that do stitches. Lots of new lens profiles and normal stuff too, but it seems to me Boundary Warp is a genuinely new feature.

http://blogs.adobe.com/jkost/2016/01/adobe-camera-raw-9-4-and-lightroom-6-4-are-now-available-with-boundary-warp.html

Yeah, I saw the report on DPR and was very excited by this feature. Updated my software - where is it? Checked the Adobe website and lo - it's CC subscribers only again. Screwed once more.

I wouldn't mind paying a small amount to add features like this to the standalone program, but that's not an option. Very disappointing.

Upvote 0
Thanks for sharing PBD.

In it's simplest form / examples shown, isn't it just doing the same as a manual lens correction of the resultant pano?

For the more complex warps, it does appear to be doing more jiggery to fit the frame....

So, how would one "report" that to a buyer - "I warped the pano to make it fit better", and is warping better than content fill - from a judging perspective as there is no "fake" data??

If Adobe continue to actually produce useful features like this for photographers, I may (re)consider a subscription, and retain my stand-alone versions for parallel use.

Did subscription reduce the number of instances from 2 to 1 as LR 6 did I believe (or maybe LR 6 was the first to enforce?)

Upvote 0
They also fixed the Soft proofing "bug"

"Soft Proofing RGB readout values differed for same file between 5.7.1 and 6.x"

and photo merge should be twice as quick, even for the stand-alone users ;)

I'm fine (now) with the new features being cloud only, so long as I get the bug fixes and lens profiles.

I also requested on their survey page that maybe they should offer a LR only subscription sans Photoshop...

Upvote 0
Mar 25, 2011
I just tried it on a set of 4 images that I considered to be failures in Lightroom. These look the same, maybe slightly better, but still poor. The sky is mostly cutoff. It also creates a dng file, which I have no use for. I prefer the more universal tiff file from Photoshop.

1. Original Panorama in Lightroom

untitled-9183-Pano-XL.jpg

2. Original Panorama with content aware fill in Photoshop

Columbia%20River%20at%20Maryhill%2C%20WA-1-XL.jpg

3. New Panorama created with the Boundary Warp in Lightroom.

untitled-9183-Pano-2-XL.jpg

Upvote 0
Jan 29, 2011
Mt Spokane Photography said:
I just tried it on a set of 4 images that I considered to be failures in Lightroom. These look the same, maybe slightly better, but still poor. The sky is mostly cutoff. It also creates a dng file, which I have no use for. I prefer the more universal tiff file from Photoshop.

1. Original Panorama in Lightroom

untitled-9183-Pano-XL.jpg

2. Original Panorama with content aware fill in Photoshop

Columbia%20River%20at%20Maryhill%2C%20WA-1-XL.jpg

3. New Panorama created with the Boundary Warp in Lightroom.

untitled-9183-Pano-2-XL.jpg

I am getting very different results, as Adobe say buildings near edges need a little help, but I am getting the best of Content Aware Fill and Auto Crop.

If you don't like dng then do the merge in PS via Bridge and Save As anything you like.

1/ As merged
2/ Auto Crop
3/ Boundary Warp

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2016-01-27 at 11.35.15 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2016-01-27 at 11.35.15 PM.png
    572.4 KB · Views: 248
  • Screen Shot 2016-01-27 at 11.35.32 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2016-01-27 at 11.35.32 PM.png
    536.3 KB · Views: 239
  • Screen Shot 2016-01-27 at 11.35.54 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2016-01-27 at 11.35.54 PM.png
    591 KB · Views: 229
Upvote 0
Nov 1, 2012
privatebydesign said:
tpatana said:
Hmm. I just updated LR. I don't have that slider at the merge menu. What I'm doing wrong?

You have to have LR CC, do the download and close LR. When you open it again it will be there in the Panorama Options box with the panorama preview.

Yup on all those. Still no warp.

Upvote 0
scyrene said:
Yeah, I saw the report on DPR and was very excited by this feature. Updated my software - where is it? Checked the Adobe website and lo - it's CC subscribers only again. Screwed once more.

I wouldn't mind paying a small amount to add features like this to the standalone program, but that's not an option. Very disappointing.

Same here. I just opened a forum discussion on this and flamed them.
"I want to install Boundary Warp in LR 6.4 but bought the software on disc. I have spent good money on Adobe products over several years and find being shut out of updates like this to be insulting. I helped support you financially. Worst way to treat a customer ever."

Upvote 0

LDS

Sep 14, 2012
KeithBreazeal said:
"I want to install Boundary Warp in LR 6.4 but bought the software on disc. I have spent good money on Adobe products over several years and find being shut out of updates like this to be insulting. "

IMHO these new features will be in LR 7 - if they still release it standalone. Thus you may have to wait for the next release, as it usually happened in the past to get new features. If you want new features - not only updates (bug fixes and new cameras/lenses support) - and getting them as soon as they are developed, you have to get the subscription - looks perfectly reasonable to me.

Otherwise is just like asking Canon not only firmware updates and fixes to issues, but also a 5Ds because you own a 5DIII and Canon can't shut you out of updates like that...

Upvote 0
privatebydesign said:
Nonsense, you are not 'screwed once more' you bought a product that has more functionality now than it did when you bought it, you just didn't get the new features you were never told you were going to get, you did get the RAW update with camera and lens profiles and bug fixes for free though, how is that screwing you?

I know. It's just annoying, okay? To see the same program getting more features in one version than another. Maybe if they called v6.x 'silver' and CC 'gold', it's be easier to come to terms with. I'm just pissed off at it, it's not necessarily a rational response. I'm allowed to be human *sometimes* :p

Upvote 0