New Adobe feature, Boundary Warp.

3kramd5 said:
^^ Large swaths of society consider not getting what they didn't earn to be getting screwed. Not getting what you didn't pay for is hardly a stretch :p

I did say I'd pay for it. I don't use much software generally, but in some games you can download extras for money if you want them. That seems a fair model. I'm clearly an idiot for disliking Adobe's model, right?

Upvote 0
dilbert said:
scyrene said:
Yeah, I saw the report on DPR and was very excited by this feature. Updated my software - where is it? Checked the Adobe website and lo - it's CC subscribers only again. Screwed once more.

I wouldn't mind paying a small amount to add features like this to the standalone program, but that's not an option. Very disappointing.

If you want to pay a small amount to get these added features then subscribe to Adobe's Creative Cloud. It's that simple.

Wouldn't that mean paying twice for the same thing? Or do they give a discount if you already have some of the software?

I know plenty of you are happy with the model, but I personally don't want to rent software.

Upvote 0
LDS said:
KeithBreazeal said:
"I want to install Boundary Warp in LR 6.4 but bought the software on disc. I have spent good money on Adobe products over several years and find being shut out of updates like this to be insulting. "

IMHO these new features will be in LR 7 - if they still release it standalone. Thus you may have to wait for the next release, as it usually happened in the past to get new features. If you want new features - not only updates (bug fixes and new cameras/lenses support) - and getting them as soon as they are developed, you have to get the subscription - looks perfectly reasonable to me.

Otherwise is just like asking Canon not only firmware updates and fixes to issues, but also a 5Ds because you own a 5DIII and Canon can't shut you out of updates like that...

I guess. It's not a big deal in the scheme of things. But then - it's *not* a big change. So making out it's like demanding a 5DS is a bit of a stretch...

Upvote 0

YuengLinger

Print the ones you love.
CR Pro
Dec 20, 2012
USA
privatebydesign said:
Nonsense, you are not 'screwed once more' you bought a product that has more functionality now than it did when you bought it, you just didn't get the new features you were never told you were going to get, you did get the RAW update with camera and lens profiles and bug fixes for free though, how is that screwing you?

Do you keep posting stuff like this just to hammer those of us who see CC as a customer-is--never-right, robber baron business practice? Just to keep poking the same open sore?

If not, you could just stop relentlessly confronting the unbelievers.

Upvote 0

unfocused

Photos/Photo Book Reviews: www.thecuriouseye.com
Jul 20, 2010
Springfield, IL
www.thecuriouseye.com
KeithBreazeal said:
...I just opened a forum discussion on this and flamed them.

Let us know how that works out for you.

KeithBreazeal said:
...I have spent good money on Adobe products over several years and find being shut out of updates like this to be insulting. I helped support you financially. Worst way to treat a customer ever."

Oh right. Let's see: you have two customers. One pays you a regular fee every month to have access to the latest products. One pays you occasionally, whenever he feels like it, to buy whatever the most current version of your product happens to be. Which one is the loyal customer and which one should you try to reward?

Upvote 0
Mar 2, 2012
scyrene said:
3kramd5 said:
^^ Large swaths of society consider not getting what they didn't earn to be getting screwed. Not getting what you didn't pay for is hardly a stretch :p

I did say I'd pay for it.

Then pay for it (i.e. sign up for CC). Otherwise wait a bit, I suspect it will find its way to standalone 6.

scyrene said:
I don't use much software generally, but in some games you can download extras for money if you want them. That seems a fair model. I'm clearly an idiot for disliking Adobe's model, right?

No, disliking a company's business model doesn't make a consumer an idiot, and I don't think anyone alleged you are one.

Upvote 0

unfocused

Jul 20, 2010
Springfield, IL
www.thecuriouseye.com
YuengLinger said:
privatebydesign said:
Nonsense, you are not 'screwed once more' you bought a product that has more functionality now than it did when you bought it, you just didn't get the new features you were never told you were going to get, you did get the RAW update with camera and lens profiles and bug fixes for free though, how is that screwing you?

Do you keep posting stuff like this just to hammer those of us who see CC as a customer-is--never-right, robber baron business practice? Just to keep poking the same open sore?

If not, you could just stop relentlessly confronting the unbelievers.

It seems more like people keep picking at their own flesh to create a self-inflicted open sore and then complain because some of us don't feel sorry for them.

Upvote 0
95% of this forum consists of variations of these two sentiments:

1) Adobe sucks. Adobe is greedy. I have an irrational ingrained belief that software is the only thing in life that can't be rented. Getting what I want from software in the format I want it in is a basic human right outlined in the Geneva Convention.

2) Canon's dynamic range sucks. I'm switching to Nikon. I'm switching to Sony.

This is why I've stopped coming here. You have to wade through enormous amounts of trolling vitriol to find anything worth reading, and it's just not worth it anymore.

Upvote 0

YuengLinger

Print the ones you love.
CR Pro
Dec 20, 2012
USA
keithfullermusic said:

1) Adobe sucks. Adobe is greedy. I have an irrational ingrained belief that software is the only thing in life that can't be rented. Getting what I want from software in the format I want it in is a basic human right outlined in the Geneva Convention.

This is why I've stopped coming here. You have to wade through enormous amounts of trolling vitriol to find anything worth reading, and it's just not worth it anymore.

Yet you come here and state your position on the two most controversial topics (which account, from my reading, for only a small percentage of the large variety of topics) and then dump your own vitriol by claiming those who disagree are trolls. Hypocrisy crystallized.

This isn't about whether CC is good or bad--it's about not having a choice anymore. Adobe, being in the vanguard, gets the heat for its sales tactics--not the quality of the products.

Many customers justifiably worry about Adobe or other software companies maintaining quality or innovating once a large enough customer base is "locked in."

Celebrating a monopoly is shortsighted or an indication of having a stake in the monopoly.

PBD is the one who teases with posts about how we will think "Adobe is a dirty word" when talking about new features, then will slam the first person who wishes PS was still available as an upgradeable stand alone.

Wow, there are so many topics here. All very helpful to photographers. So just ignore the ones that you know will recycle the same controversies, start your own on different topics, or get out and take more photos!

Upvote 0
YuengLinger said:
keithfullermusic said:

Yet you come here and state your position on the two most controversial topics (which account, from my reading, for only a small percentage of the large variety of topics) and then dump your own vitriol by claiming those who disagree are trolls. Hypocrisy crystallized.

This isn't about whether CC is good or bad--it's about not having a choice anymore. Adobe, being in the vanguard, gets the heat for its sales tactics--not the quality of the products.

Many customers justifiably worry about Adobe or other software companies maintaining quality or innovating once a large enough customer base is "locked in."

Celebrating a monopoly is shortsighted or an indication of having a stake in the monopoly.

PBD is the one who teases with posts about how we will think "Adobe is a dirty word" when talking about new features, then will slam the first person who wishes PS was still available as an upgradeable stand alone.

Wow, there are so many topics here. All very helpful to photographers. So just ignore the ones that you know will recycle the same controversies, start your own on different topics, or get out and take more photos!

not sure what you're talking about, but i never stated any opinion. i'm just pointing out what people always say. if you want to know my opinions on both i will give them. i won't fight about them, and i certainly won't attack others for their views.

1) I don't mind adobe's CC plan because I think it's a great deal and finally affordable. However, I can see people's argument that it will lead to complacency, but I'm not looking for too many improvements.

2) Nikon clearly has better sensors in the current generations of camera's, but nothing so drastic that would cause me to switch. I also understand that DR is only one aspect of a camera.

my point is that it's too much trouble to sift through all the trolling on the site to bother looking for meaningful comments, so i rarely bother anymore.

Upvote 0

YuengLinger

Print the ones you love.
CR Pro
Dec 20, 2012
USA
keithfullermusic said:
YuengLinger said:
keithfullermusic said:

not sure what you're talking about, but i never stated any opinion. i'm just pointing out what people always say. if you want to know my opinions on both i will give them. i won't fight about them, and i certainly won't attack others for their views.

1) I don't mind adobe's CC plan because I think it's a great deal and finally affordable. However, I can see people's argument that it will lead to complacency, but I'm not looking for too many improvements.

2) Nikon clearly has better sensors in the current generations of camera's, but nothing so drastic that would cause me to switch. I also understand that DR is only one aspect of a camera.

my point is that it's too much trouble to sift through all the trolling on the site to bother looking for meaningful comments, so i rarely bother anymore.

My experience is that CR is one of the friendliest on the web. Always flashpoints among people of passion.

Upvote 0
YuengLinger said:
keithfullermusic said:
YuengLinger said:
keithfullermusic said:

My experience is that CR is one of the friendliest on the web. Always flashpoints among people of passion.

It is. After a good nights sleep and a pot of coffee this morning, I came to realize that getting anything other than bug fixes is wishful thinking.

Upvote 0

unfocused

Jul 20, 2010
Springfield, IL
www.thecuriouseye.com
keithfullermusic said:

Don't forget: Canon is a) doomed; b) out to get me; and/or c) greedy because they don't a) make a camera exactly the way I want; and/or b) put all the features of the 1DX in every camera.

Remember this though: like academia, the debates here are so passionate because the stakes are so low.

Upvote 0
Nov 1, 2012
tpatana said:
Strange. So the LR System info menu says:

Lightroom version: CC 2015.3 [ 1052427 ]
License: Creative Cloud
Operating system: Windows 7
Version: 6.1

Should that say 6.4? The Creative Cloud Dashboard don't ask for update anymore, but it did update hour or two ago. And I've restarted LR several times. Maybe time to reboot PC?

Since reboot didn't fix it, could one of you who has the feature working, check the system info menu and see if the version says 6.4?

Upvote 0
Jan 29, 2011
tpatana said:
tpatana said:

Should that say 6.4? The Creative Cloud Dashboard don't ask for update anymore, but it did update hour or two ago. And I've restarted LR several times. Maybe time to reboot PC?

Since reboot didn't fix it, could one of you who has the feature working, check the system info menu and see if the version says 6.4?

Mine says
2015.4 Release
Camera Raw 9.4
Build 1060496

I did have an issue like yours one time, I had my cloned backup drive attached to the computer and that had an older version of CC on it that automatically opened, rather than the newer version on my boot volume. Check to see if you have two versions of LR installed.

Upvote 0
Nov 1, 2012
privatebydesign said:
tpatana said:
tpatana said:

Mine says
2015.4 Release
Camera Raw 9.4
Build 1060496

I did have an issue like yours one time, I had my cloned backup drive attached to the computer and that had an older version of CC on it that automatically opened, rather than the newer version on my boot volume. Check to see if you have two versions of LR installed.

AFAIK I only have one version installed.

Upvote 0
Nov 1, 2012
dilbert said:
scyrene said:
dilbert said:
scyrene said:
Yeah, I saw the report on DPR and was very excited by this feature. Updated my software - where is it? Checked the Adobe website and lo - it's CC subscribers only again. Screwed once more.

I wouldn't mind paying a small amount to add features like this to the standalone program, but that's not an option. Very disappointing.

If you want to pay a small amount to get these added features then subscribe to Adobe's Creative Cloud. It's that simple.

Wouldn't that mean paying twice for the same thing? Or do they give a discount if you already have some of the software?

I know plenty of you are happy with the model, but I personally don't want to rent software.

Adobe has two ways to buy Lightroom: one you pay a modest amount for the package in a once off cost and get a fixed feature set. The other is you pay a small amount each month and get an evolving feature set.

So lets do some math...

The average time for upgrades since the release of LR 1.0 is 19 months. For the purposes of making math easier, we'll say it is 20. LR 2 & 3 cost ~$300 new, putting it at ~$15/mon, LR 4-6 were ~$160 or ~$8/month. But it's not quite that easy. Adobe also offer upgrades, e.g. to upgrade from 5 to 6 costs ~$80 or $4/month.

When you look at the Adobe Creative Cloud pricing, what Adobe have really done is found a different way to charge you the full price of the program with the assumption that you will buy each upgrade, every time.

The only thing missing from Adobe's model is a way to go from Adobe CC to standalone or say, "I don't want any more updates but I want to keep using it." But just the same, if you wanted to then get back on the update bus, you'd have to pay for all the months that you had been out - that's getting complex.

On the CC deal, you need to add the PS-CC also on your calculations, and that's way more price than LR, making CC much more cheaper alternative.

Of course if you only need LR you're kinda hosed, but who could live without PS?

So say you skip every other update, so purchase every 40 months.

LR+PS = ~$800 or so. That's $20/month. CC is $10, so half the price.

Upvote 0

ChienLunatique

Ixus 200is, eos 7Dii
Jan 27, 2014
South West France
Not really wanting to join the debate but I bought LR6 and have updated it. I now have LR 6.3 and Raw 9.3.
I have down loaded and installed Raw 9.4 but it does not show this in LR. No matter what I do.
The reason I am writing this is that lightroom journal says LR 6.4 has been released too - in their own words

The goal of this release is to provide additional camera raw support, lens profile support and address bugs that were introduced in previous releases of Lightroom. This release also includes a new Boundary Warp feature for Creative Cloud members.

I don't care about the Boundary Warp - just seems to warp the whole photo -it is the bugs from their infamous previous releases that interest me, but this option does no seem available to me.
Is this another one of their upgrades that you might wish you had never heard about?
Here is the link LR Journal
http://blogs.adobe.com/lightroomjournal/2016/01/lightroom-cc-2015-4-6-4-now-available-html.html

Upvote 0

pwp

Oct 25, 2010
Boundary Warp seems useful. Like most of the new headline features that Adobe ships, it's not a silver bullet that generates a miracle result with one pass. Rather, it's a tool that needs to be learned. Your result may need a targeted bump with Liquify, or Transform>Warp, or Content Aware Fill, Patch Tool or even the good old Clone Tool.

Most of us were fairly ham-fisted with new features when first announced, but learned to be subtle with them as time goes by.

-pw

Upvote 0