Overpowering bright sun

Pookie said:
VitaliD said:
Viggo said:
the BD works beautiful with the B1, very resistant to winds

Sounds good, but I am shooting couples. How well a beauty dish works with more than one person in your experience?

Viggo said:
It also works with a 3' Octa with double diffusers, but I sometimes need to remove the inner baffle to have enough power in the snow for example. I have stripbox 1x4' which is the same as the Octa.

You are basically saying that a B1 with softbox and HSS is usually just enough for the conditions, I think. That's great, that clearly answers my question. Thank you.

I use 4 and 5 foot octas or 22" socked and/or grided BD Mola Demi or recently bought a Kacey dish as it was a little less weight being fiberglass composite. For the most part they are similar. The throw of a 22" BD can cover up to 5-6 people pretty easily. Use a grid if you want more of a tighter beam. The biggest reason I use the BD's when on site is wind. The octas can be cumbersome in any wind. The weight savings is also nice but not huge it's more about the battle putting up with wind and wrestling the mod into position that is easier with a BD. Also I think the BD is much nicer when doing headshots over the octas which can produce too soft a light sometimes... BD are a little crisper int he shadow transitions.

This is a Mola Demi with Profoto B1... stranger portraits while waiting for a model to show up.

Hey that is one of my favorite places. The Lane.

Upvote 0