Portable Power for studio lights

I know there are a number of (expenive) professional kits to provide power to a studio kit on location when no AC is available, but i came across the goalzero products (which are intended for laptops and electronics) and I was wondering, could one of the these like the yeti 150 http://www.goalzero.com/p/164/goal-zero-yeti-150-solar-generator be used to power one or more studio lights? I have elinchrom rx-ones which are only 100Ws. But I have no idea how much power drain they would be on the battery (I'm supposing that that is the limiting factor?)
Any help or tips for portable studio lights would be welcome.

LDS

Sep 14, 2012
Kristofgss said:
I know there are a number of (expenive) professional kits to provide power to a studio kit on location when no AC is available, but i came across the goalzero products (which are intended for laptops and electronics)

Flash drains a lot of power in a few seconds, unlike most other electronics. It could be dangerous to use them with power supply unable to cope with the demand.
You would need something like this: http://www.innovatronix.com/index.php/products/item/262-photography-imaging-equipment#portable-battery-packs, but I do not know how easy are to find.

Upvote 0

LDS

Sep 14, 2012
Don Haines said:
There is always the option of power inverter (a pure-sine one) and either a vehicle or a deep cycle marine battery.....

Yes, you just need to be sure to select and match the correct ones for the load you're going to use, or you may risk to damage your equipment or worse. As long as you know what you're doing, it's a viable solution.

Upvote 0
Check out the Godox LP-800x. It is made specifically for use with mains powered strobes on location.

There is not too much information available on this unit, but a Broncolor rep (Urs Recher) actually recommended to use the Godox battery pack with their new Siros monolight series for location work. Since Broncolor do deliver high quality gear, and Urs seem to know what he's talking about, I think it at least is worth noting.

Review of the Godox LP-800x on Youtube: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XaQIoR-0C6Y

Upvote 0

Don Haines

Beware of cats with laser eyes!
Jun 4, 2012
Canada
LDS said:
Don Haines said:
There is always the option of power inverter (a pure-sine one) and either a vehicle or a deep cycle marine battery.....

Yes, you just need to be sure to select and match the correct ones for the load you're going to use, or you may risk to damage your equipment or worse. As long as you know what you're doing, it's a viable solution.

There are two basic types of inverters, one type (the more expensive) outputs a sine wave that is cleaner power than the local electric utility. These are NOT the "plug into a cigarette lighter" models and are normally 1000 watts power and above.

The other type of inverter outputs a "stepped sine wave", which is a series (often 9) of discrete voltage steps that very loosely approximates a sine wave. These units can be hazardous to the health of your equipment. They are usually low power, up to a couple of hundred watts.

Upvote 0