Review - Tamron 85mm f/1.8 Di VC USD

Luds34 said:
TWI by Dustin Abbott said:
Luds34 said:
grainier said:
So, as far as AF speed is concerned Canon 85/1.8 is still in a class of its own?

I wouldn't say so. With the VC turned off the Tamron is every bit as fast.

Oh really? And how does the VC affect focus speed? Could you please elaborate a little bit?

I'm very happy with the Canon 85mm f/1.8, however it would be nice to have a lens with a little more natural punch in it's IQ but I'd be loath to lose the very fast and accurate focus.

As I describe in the review, the lens tends to arrive at focus but hesitate for a split second before locking. Turning the VC seems to eliminate that, so it makes me think that it is intentional to allow the VC to fully engage and "settle" so that the image quality is not affected. Turning the VC off speeds up focus be eliminating the hesitation. The actual focus speed is very fast and quiet on the lens.

My apologies, I haven't read your review (yet) as I've been a bit busy. Thanks for humoring me and reiterating what was probably very clearly stated in your review. ;)

As a novice user of the Tamron 150-600 I have noticed similar experiences. The VC system is very good and does allow a number of stops of compensation. However the small delay to kick in can be a minor pain, depending on the shooting conditions. I also don't have the "panning" firmware so trying to track a moving subject has caused missed shots with the VC fighting the moving lens. Not to completely highjack a thread here, but has anyone taken the time to send their lens in for the firmware upgrade? And is it worth it?

I sent my 150-600 in for the firmware upgrade some time ago. It worked fine for me, and made me feel much better about choosing the Tamron rather than waiting for the Sigma 150-600 C, especially after reading Dustin's reports about the focusing issues he had with the Sigma. My advice is to send it in. The only cost is shipping one way, and they get it in and out of their shop in about 2 days. I was without mine for about a week.

Upvote 0
I have a Canon 85mm f/1.8 and it's probably my least used lens because of its purple fringing issues.

This Tamron is very tempting but I'm concerned about the extent of the cats-eye effect on specular highlights. They seem to extend almost to the centre of the frame, suggesting that the vignettting at f/1.8 similarly reaches almost to the centre of the frame.

I'll wait to see what Sigma produces, though I have a love/hate relationship with my Sigma 35mm Art - beautiful optics, non-existent low-light focusing.

Upvote 0
Apr 1, 2016
just rented this lens and very first tests against the Canon 85 1.8 @ 1.8 are a bit underwhelming. The tamron isn't that much sharper at all than the 85 1.8. I do notice the focus hesitation (even with VC off), although it's not very annoying and focus does seem very accurate. Testing it out further today and tomorrow during real live events so that will learn me a bit more. But my first impression is that it's ok to wait a bit and see what Sigma produces and possibly Canon with a new 1.4/1.2 :)

Upvote 0
it seems that something was not quite right with the copy of the lens that you have tested?
there is a substantial reported difference in IQ in mid frame and especially in the corners, resistance to flares and CA.

http://www.the-digital-picture.com/Reviews/ISO-12233-Sample-Crops.aspx?Lens=1047&Camera=453&Sample=0&FLI=0&API=0&LensComp=106&CameraComp=0&FLIComp=0&APIComp=0

http://www.the-digital-picture.com/Reviews/Lens-Flare.aspx?FLI=0&API=0&FLIComp=0&APIComp=0&Lens=1047&Camera=979&LensComp=106

edoorn said:
just rented this lens and very first tests against the Canon 85 1.8 @ 1.8 are a bit underwhelming. The tamron isn't that much sharper at all than the 85 1.8. I do notice the focus hesitation (even with VC off), although it's not very annoying and focus does seem very accurate. Testing it out further today and tomorrow during real live events so that will learn me a bit more. But my first impression is that it's ok to wait a bit and see what Sigma produces and possibly Canon with a new 1.4/1.2 :)

Upvote 0
Apr 1, 2016
To be honest I think sharpness at 1.8 at the Tamron is not that much better. Yes certainly a bit but will you see it in real shots? I hope that a future new 85L will show performance wide open similar to the 35 II; that would make me want to buy it instantly ;)

I don't really look at test charts that much; real life shots tell me much more. The few shots I did so far are of course just that; the first few shots. Today and tomorrow's real world application will tell me much more. TBC :)

edit: first event shot. I think focus did a good job; not too much issue with the slight hesitation at all to be honest. On par with the 85 1.8 for sure. From what I've seen on the screen, images look nice and crisp but I'll have to see some more shots tomorrow in lightroom. So far so good.

Upvote 0
May 15, 2014
pknight said:
I sent my 150-600 in for the firmware upgrade some time ago. It worked fine for me, and made me feel much better about choosing the Tamron rather than waiting for the Sigma 150-600 C, especially after reading Dustin's reports about the focusing issues he had with the Sigma. My advice is to send it in. The only cost is shipping one way, and they get it in and out of their shop in about 2 days. I was without mine for about a week.

Thanks for the info. I really don't use the lens ever, possibly a foolish purchase??? Part of me has held off just in case they rev the firmware again. I should just bite the bullet and do it. Did you notice any improvement?

Upvote 0
pknight said:
I sent my 150-600 in for the firmware upgrade some time ago. It worked fine for me, and made me feel much better about choosing the Tamron rather than waiting for the Sigma 150-600 C, especially after reading Dustin's reports about the focusing issues he had with the Sigma.

For whatever reason Tamron has always done a much better job than Sigma reverse engineering Canon AF.

Upvote 0

drmikeinpdx

Celebrating 20 years of model photography!
I got my copy today. A quick focus test using my secret, ultra-quick method showed that it front focused slightly and needed a +10 AFMA correction.

I had a shoot scheduled at an indoor location with large windows and plain backgrounds. I wasn't able to check the bokeh, but I did get a feel for sharpness and autofocus performance compared to my old favorite EF 85 F/1.8.

I haven't had a chance to go through all the images yet, but generally I am quite pleased. The autofocus was spot-on, and it locked on quickly. I felt no need to turn off the image stabilization.

Here is a full frame portrait captured at F/2 and 1/125th. It's hand held and I wasn't making any big effort to hold the camera steady.

p1941714900-4.jpg

Now let's zoom in to a standard headshot:

p2102104321-5.jpg

And let's zoom in some more for a look at the eyelashes.

p2017699597-5.jpg

I'd say this is a definite improvement over the EF 85 F/1.8 in image quality.

Was it worth the roughly twice the price of the Canon? Hard to say. It is certainly a lot larger and heavier than the Canon. Depends on your budget and what type of shooting you do I guess. It's nice to have choices.

I will let you know when I have an NSFW blog post ready for viewing so you can see more examples from this shoot.

Upvote 0
Dustin, you referred to a side-by-side with the Sigma 50-100 in the review. How would you compare the handling of the two, AF performance, and image quality when the Sigma is set to 85mm(ish)? I've been intrigued by the Sigma 50-100 since it's announcement as I have a void in the portrait focal lengths with my lenses and 7DII. However, your review has opened my eyes to this great alternative to such a large lens. I have Canon's 35 f/2 IS and 135 f/2, this Tamron may complete a great trio (albeit wider spread than the norm).

Upvote 0
Apr 1, 2016
Ok, shot a wedding on Friday with the rental too, and here's my take so far: pretty darn good lens. Although I didn't see much difference at first on test shots vs the 85 1.8, I do see the difference in real life.

1.8 or 2.0 on the Tamron still isn't the best you can get on Canon (the 85 1.2 which I've had and used for years is still king), but it's better and with more punch than the 85 1.8. Focus is very good too, just as good as the 85 1.8. So it's a bit of a combination between the Canon 1.8 and 1.2, combining a relatively modest size and weight with good image quality (although not best in class) and good autofocus.

Considering the price point, you'll get what you pay for.

I think I'll buy one and sell my 85 1.8. I don't see this as a permanent solution since I am still waiting for a fantastic 85 which allows a 1.4 aperture, even better IQ (maybe BR optics :)) and super accurate and fast focus (Tamron is accurate, but not the fastest). Quite sure Sigma will release an 85 Art (but will it focus as accurate as the Tamron?) or - even better - Canon with a new top dog 85 which will rule them all (except, of course, the price tag), just like their 35 II did.

Upvote 0
bluenoser1993 said:
Dustin, you referred to a side-by-side with the Sigma 50-100 in the review. How would you compare the handling of the two, AF performance, and image quality when the Sigma is set to 85mm(ish)? I've been intrigued by the Sigma 50-100 since it's announcement as I have a void in the portrait focal lengths with my lenses and 7DII. However, your review has opened my eyes to this great alternative to such a large lens. I have Canon's 35 f/2 IS and 135 f/2, this Tamron may complete a great trio (albeit wider spread than the norm).

Handling question: they are really, really different in size. The Tamron is a medium size and medium weight lens - the Sigma weighs more than twice as much. AF speed is roughly similar, but I had better overall accuracy with the Tamron (the Sigma wasn't bad, but the Tamron was better). The Sigma is sharper wide open (on crop). I'd say the Tamron has better contrast and color (Sigma has a slightly "washed out" look; the Tamron has more "bite"). Bokeh is a bit better on the Tamron, and flare resistance much better. Both show almost no CA. Different strokes...

Both nice lenses. I mostly shoot FF, so I picked up the Tamron. If I shot crop as you, it might have been a different story.

Upvote 0

drmikeinpdx

Celebrating 20 years of model photography!
Those of you who are into nude photography may appreciate my blog post featuring the Tamron 85 VC lens. I didn't get a chance to check the bokeh on this indoor studio shoot, so I can't wait for an outdoor shoot.

By the way... I set my exposure manually so I can't comment on any metering errors with the 5D3.

http://www.beyondboudoirphoto.com/blog/2016/5/studio-shoot-with-adryana-and-the-tamron-85mm-f/1-8-vc Note: not safe for work

Upvote 0
I sold the Canon, however, because I didn't feel that it focused as accurately as the rest of my kit.

I feel like I am the same boat here with my Canon 85/1.8. And I also have the 50/1.4 which is notorious for AF issues and I don't have problems with the 50/1.4 like I do with the 85/1.8. I really like the 85 VC and even played around with one in the local camera shop. I almost bought it, but then I started thinking about what I really need in my kit. I have no fast wide primes and I have no UWA. I think I would be better off spending my savings on those areas instead of the 85 VC. But some day down the line I can see owning the 85 VC if Canon doesn't offer something to upgrade the 85/1.8 that is not also priced like the 85/1.2.

Upvote 0

Sporgon

5% of gear used 95% of the time
CR Pro
Nov 11, 2012
Yorkshire, England
FECHariot said:
I sold the Canon, however, because I didn't feel that it focused as accurately as the rest of my kit.

I feel like I am the same boat here with my Canon 85/1.8. And I also have the 50/1.4 which is notorious for AF issues and I don't have problems with the 50/1.4 like I do with the 85/1.8. I really like the 85 VC and even played around with one in the local camera shop. I almost bought it, but then I started thinking about what I really need in my kit. I have no fast wide primes and I have no UWA. I think I would be better off spending my savings on those areas instead of the 85 VC. But some day down the line I can see owning the 85 VC if Canon doesn't offer something to upgrade the 85/1.8 that is not also priced like the 85/1.2.

If you want a cheap upgrade route from the 85/1.8 get the EF 100/2. It focuses perfectly reliably and consistently wide open, unlike the three copies of the 85/1.8 I've had over the years, is sharper wide open and has less CA. It's just a better made lens IMO.

Upvote 0
Sporgon said:
FECHariot said:

If you want a cheap upgrade route from the 85/1.8 get the EF 100/2. It focuses perfectly reliably and consistently wide open, unlike the three copies of the 85/1.8 I've had over the years, is sharper wide open and has less CA. It's just a better made lens IMO.

If I didn't already have the 135/2 and 100/2.8, I might go that route but I would like some separation between an 85 and especially the 135/2.

Upvote 0
JP4DESIGNZ said:
JP4DESIGNZ said:
douglaurent said:
The Tamron 85/1.8 is really great and even works great with the video autofocus of the 1DX2. If they do a 135/2 VC and 24/1.8 VC that would be awesome.

BUT there are major incompatibilities between the 1DX2 and other Tamron lenses like the 15-30/2.8 VC or the lightweight superzoom 28-300, who don't work at all! TAMRON AND CANON PLEASE WAKE UP ASAP AND FIX THIS!!!! These bugs are especially annoying when it's happening with the most expensive DSLR and lenses that have no alternative on the market.

I'm sure that Tamron will have a firmware update for the lenses, but this is one area where having the Tap In console compatibility will be nice for future lenses. It would allow them to roll out firmware updates more quickly and easily.

I know Tamron's latest prime lenses will be compatible with the TAP-In Console however, they really should find a way to allow the 15-30 VC, 24-70 VC, and the latest 70-200 VC to utilize it. Let's check and see if they ever will.

I doubt it. Just like older Sigma' don't work with the dock. I think they've got to account for that in the design - though I could be wrong. I'd love to see those three lenses included, of course, since I own them all.

So, the TAP-in Console was released a couple of weeks back and I finaly got one! Dustin, what do you think of using the TAP-in as a rear lens cap for convenience? Were there any issues with doing the same for the Sigma Dock?

What country are you in? The reason I ask is that I haven't even gotten one yet, and both Tamron Canada and Tamron USA are eager to put one in my hands ASAP.

I'm struggling to see the logic of using it as a rear cap, though, particular when the current Tamron rear cap is the nicest one out there.

Upvote 0
JP4DESIGNZ said:
JP4DESIGNZ said:
JP4DESIGNZ said:
douglaurent said:
The Tamron 85/1.8 is really great and even works great with the video autofocus of the 1DX2. If they do a 135/2 VC and 24/1.8 VC that would be awesome.

BUT there are major incompatibilities between the 1DX2 and other Tamron lenses like the 15-30/2.8 VC or the lightweight superzoom 28-300, who don't work at all! TAMRON AND CANON PLEASE WAKE UP ASAP AND FIX THIS!!!! These bugs are especially annoying when it's happening with the most expensive DSLR and lenses that have no alternative on the market.

I'm sure that Tamron will have a firmware update for the lenses, but this is one area where having the Tap In console compatibility will be nice for future lenses. It would allow them to roll out firmware updates more quickly and easily.

I know Tamron's latest prime lenses will be compatible with the TAP-In Console however, they really should find a way to allow the 15-30 VC, 24-70 VC, and the latest 70-200 VC to utilize it. Let's check and see if they ever will.

I doubt it. Just like older Sigma' don't work with the dock. I think they've got to account for that in the design - though I could be wrong. I'd love to see those three lenses included, of course, since I own them all.

So, the TAP-in Console was released a couple of weeks back and I finaly got one! Dustin, what do you think of using the TAP-in as a rear lens cap for convenience? Were there any issues with doing the same for the Sigma Dock?

What country are you in? The reason I ask is that I haven't even gotten one yet, and both Tamron Canada and Tamron USA are eager to put one in my hands ASAP.

I'm struggling to see the logic of using it as a rear cap, though, particular when the current Tamron rear cap is the nicest one out there.

Yeah, I was wondering if it could double as a rear lens cap purly for the convenience of having one in your bag however, Tamron said the TAP-in has not been tested to do that so that's a BIG NO no for me.

I live in the US in Texas and I bought mine from B&H for $59.00 here: http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/controller/home?O=&sku=1233544&gclid=CjwKEAjw-r27BRCzsNyzrMrM-j0SJACp2TiBA5zF4ilj8zSa82dp7jP7OwKP3hJIWkhxGLQqt7IkIhoCl9vw_wcB&is=REG&ap=y&m=Y&c3api=1876%2C92051678762%2C&Q=&A=details

I did a random google search one day and was surprised B&H and Adorama had them in stock for almost a week! A very quiet release huh?

Interesting. B&H and Adorama must have gotten priority on them. I'll have to reach out to my contacts and make sure someone gets me one.

Upvote 0