Shooting people with a 16-35... Any good ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I am expecting my 16-35 to ship with my 5d3 soon... I never used a 16-35 and i am buying it for my honeymoon in italy...
My question is, is it a good idea to use the 16-35 to shoot my wife-to-be and myself to have a good landscape scene in the background or shall i stick with the 24-105 for people shots and use the 16-35 only for landscapes?
Any people shots are welcome especially @16mm.

Thanks

Knowing the issues with 17-40mm which was for some time my only lens on the 5d MK2 I would recommend to at least take a 24-70 or 24 -104 with you for portraits. The 70-200mm f2.8 IS 2 also makes a great portrait lens with tighter framing. However the frames with the wide angles (17-40mm) look mostly too wide and not really nice as they are not focused on the ppl. in the frame.

Upvote 0
I still dont have too many lenses... I only had the 18-55 kit lens with my old xti and a 70-300 sigma, i just got the 24-105 and the 16-35 is on its on way... So that's it..

I actually WANT to show a lot of the background scene ( or else i would use the 24-105 for portraits)... But i wanna know is if I use the 16-35, will I get unacceptably distorted images when shooting people ?

Upvote 0
Mokh24 said:
I still dont have too many lenses... I only had the 18-55 kit lens with my old xti and a 70-300 sigma, i just got the 24-105 and the 16-35 is on its on way... So that's it..

I actually WANT to show a lot of the background scene ( or else i would use the 24-105 for portraits)... But i wanna know is if I use the 16-35, will I get unacceptably distorted images when shooting people ?

The 17-40mm makes ppl look unnatural in most cases, used between 17-30mm. The 16-35 won't be different ... you can only achieve good results if the persons are not filling more than probably a third of the frame in the middle ...

Upvote 0
Mokh24 said:
I am expecting my 16-35 to ship with my 5d3 soon... I never used a 16-35 and i am buying it for my honeymoon in italy...
My question is, is it a good idea to use the 16-35 to shoot my wife-to-be and myself to have a good landscape scene in the background or shall i stick with the 24-105 for people shots and use the 16-35 only for landscapes?

What you want to avoid is having the camera really close to the person / people in the shot. I doubt you'd need wider than 24mm for this kind of shot --if you go very wide and stand back a reasonable distance, the people in the shot will only fill a tiny portion of the frame.

Upvote 0
D

dturano

I don't have any experience with that lens, but I was in a similar situation to you a few years back when I went on my honeymoon to spain.

I had the 7d and the sigma 10-20mm f/3.5, I also had a big Gorilla pod, I got some great shots with my wife and I and the scenery, on close ups we were a little distorted but I was ok because my goal was to incorporate us and the background. I don't have experience with it but I would think the distortion would be less with the 16-35 on a ff body.

I also had a 24-70 with me. The 10-20mm got more use outdoors.

Take a few test shots when the new lens comes with local settings to get an idea if your happy with the results.

Upvote 0
Mokh24 said:

Thanks

The ultra wide angle lens is never good for portrait work. If you include people in your shoot, it either be too small or far. If you bring them closer as your main subject, you will distort them in some ways you won't like. You will definitely have problem balancing the subject and the background. It will force you to compose your shot critically and this will 'slow' you down. I don't think your bride will have patience standing still while you are composing the shoot.

Since you are on a honeymoon, you would be better off with your 24 - 105 lens

Enjoy!

Upvote 0

scottkinfw

Wildlife photography is my passion
CR Pro
As a general rule, to avoid mid-face distortion it is best to avoid short focal length lenses. Around 80mm and up on ff. Disclaimer: I am not a portrait photographer.

TotoEC said:
Mokh24 said:

Thanks

The ultra wide angle lens is never good for portrait work. If you include people in your shoot, it either be too small or far. If you bring them closer as your main subject, you will distort them in some ways you won't like. You will definitely have problem balancing the subject and the background. It will force you to compose your shot critically and this will 'slow' you down. I don't think your bride will have patience standing still while you are composing the shoot.

Since you are on a honeymoon, you would be better off with your 24 - 105 lens

Enjoy!

Upvote 0
I

IIIHobbs

Mokh, I think what may not be obvious to you at the moment is the different field of view you are going to get using the 5DIII over your XTi.
Your 18-55 on the XTi was effectively a 28-85. Therefore the 24-105 with the 5DIII is going to be the lens you want for the Honeymoon. The 24-35 range will give you a great wide shot for Landscapes and the 85-105 range will capture great portraits. You will probably find yourself zoomed out or in, much less in the middle.
The speed of the 16-35 is certainly an advantage in dusk/dawn situations, but I think you will quickly realize, looking through the viewfinder, that it is not your go to lens for the use you describe. Besides, the 5DIII really shines in low light situations with the 24-105.

Upvote 0
K

kwwalla

If used properly the 16-35 is an excellent lens for the kind of shots you want to take. I use one with a great deal of success and there are many professional event photographers who employ the use of this lens for several scenarios (portraits, group shots, etc...). Persoanlly I think it is a great choice for taking pictures of a couple while trying to capture the landscape as well! If using the widest focal lenghts, remember not to put your subjects too close to the frame edges (distortion). Enjoy this great lens!

Upvote 0
thesirren said:
In no way is 16-35 strictly limited to landscapes, architecture and group shots. Obviously, if you shoot people upfront at the wider end, you would have a different kind of a portrait, but it still is a portrait ^_^

Here are some random shots of people taken by other people (stolen from google) with 16-35:

Did you check the body used on them ? On some of them, the fov looks a bit narrow for the reported lengths. I'm wondering if a few of these were taken on APS-C

Upvote 0
Well as the OP does not know the 16-35mm by heart yet and wants probably a safe option to make nice portraits on his honeymoon without too many experiments I would advice him to really please take something in the suggested range of 35-105mm with him as safe backup when not able to achieve the intended shots with the 16-35mm ... It is a great lens for landscape - but portraits always carry a certain flavor that can ruin the pictures if not taken exactly within its limitations in this genre ...

Upvote 0
When it comes to lenses Jean Reno said it best in the movie Leon;

"The tele is the first lens you learn how to use, because it lets you keep your distance from the client. The closer you get to being a pro, the closer you can get to the client. The super wide angle, for example, is the last thing you learn. "

Ok so perhaps that was not the exact quote...

While focal lengths of about 80-135 will give the most flattering look on your subject, a wide angle combined with a lot of energy can give great results. But be aware of a few things - distortion gets worse the closer to the frame you get. So place your portrait subject in the centre if you want the face to dominate the picture. I think the best way to use a wideangle lens for portraits is to do full body portraits with lots of depth of field. When the head is smaller in the picture its harder to spot if the nose seems a bit too big.

So, CAN you do great portraits with a 16-35? Yes. But it is hard to make them look good. Does it really add anything to your 24-105? Not reall, for portraits. And the 24-105 @ 105 /4 is not too bad when it comes to portraits. So when it comes to your portraits, use the 24-105 most of the time and then go crazy with the 16-35 and try to build up loads of energy - then you really don´t care as much if things looks a bit off.

Upvote 0
When i teach photography i usually explain that long lenses are for taking pictures of things/people, and wide angle lenses are for capturing a whole scene. Later I tell them this is nonsense, but is a good way to get started.

People will look fine at 16mm if they are part of a scene, not filling the frame. Also, try to keep them close to the center. You can stick one in someones face from time to time, but this captures a caricature, and that person had better have a good sense of humor.

16mm? How about 15mm fisheye:

IMG_1637 by TexPhoto, on Flickr

Upvote 0
the 16-35 can be great for portraits you just have to be carefull of 2 main things
whatever part of the person is more to the edges of the frame will be more distorted than in the center
and whatever part of the person is closer to the lens will be exagerated / enlarged
you can use these to make interesting creative compositions and actually create quite flatering images if you choose the right angle.
as others have mentioned though you have to be carefull of any angel that makes someones nose grow
its one of my favourite lenses and I love how sharp it is wide open at f2.8
another thing i love it the internal zooming and that it doesnt extend, brilliant feature that i really wish had been incorporated into the new 24-70

Upvote 0
For the OP.

I have the 16-35mm and have used it on a crop body and FF. I mainly shoot events and recently did a entire trip to USA using mostly my 500D and 16-35.

Things you will find when shooting people:
  • Shooting people under 20mm you'll get some wicked distortion of people especially at the wide end.
  • If you frame people at the edges their heads (mainly) will be really wide.
  • Try not shoot people with your camera rotated to portrait/vertical, their heads will usually be elongated and it looks very odd.
  • The closer you are to the subject, you will get interesting effects (don't shoot people like this). See the horse head picture or the babies foot

I prefer shooting horizontal for nearly everything, so I don't shoot vertical unless I want to capture entire body or if the object is just too tall (like a building/tower).

What I recommend is to shoot your wife, actually maybe not your wife since she will want to see the photos. Maybe a square cube, with the lens at different focal lengths and distance from the camera. This will give you a feel for the distortion etc.

This will give you a feel for the camera/lens before you go on your honeymoon and you'll get great pictures of you wife :)

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.