Tamron 45mm 1.8 Canon 5d Mark IV

Thank you for the help. Could you explain why this is an issue on the 5d mark IV and not the 7d mark ii. I did as you suggested and the issue resolved itself. Is this simply indicative of a programing issue on my camera? Would a firmware update handle the issue? It was a preordered camera that has not been updated since the time of purchase.

Upvote 0
Mar 26, 2014
rpritch said:
Thank you for the help. Could you explain why this is an issue on the 5d mark IV and not the 7d mark ii. I did as you suggested and the issue resolved itself. Is this simply indicative of a programming issue on my camera? Would a firmware update handle the issue? It was a preordered camera that has not been updated since the time of purchase.

Canon cameras have profiles that correct lenses' optical imperfections, such as vignetting. Canon includes profiles only for its own lenses, not 3rd party lenses. In order to work as smoothly as possible, 3rd party manufacturers make the lenses pretend to be a similar Canon lenses.

Problems arise because the lenses are similar, but not identical. In this case the Tamron 45mm vignettes differently from whichever lens it pretends to be, so the body applies the wrong amount of vignette correction, causing the ring to appear.

As can be seen in the photo, the vignette appears on the edge of FF image. Apparently the vignetting is close enough in the center of the image for the correction to work for the problem not to occur on crop (APS-C) sensors.

A firmware upgrade will not solve the problem, because Canon does not include profiles for 3rd party lenses, so the same profile would be applied, leading to the same effect.

Upvote 0