Tamron introduces 24-70mm f/2.8 with IS

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hopefully this will shame Canon into matching their offering. There is however always the potential of a tradeoff between quality and image stabilization, not only because of the additional elements, but also because of the risk of decentering (this is afterall, what IS does). It's not that these issues are insurmountable in a fast zoom, the 70-200 f/2.8 IS II is a good example that it can be done, but as this lens shows there is a monetary price to be paid. Still, Canon 'L' lenses are supposed to be the best...

Upvote 0
M

Musicjohn

If it is anything like the Tamron SP AF 28-75mm F/2.8 XR Di LD Aspherical (IF) lens, I'll be selling my Canon 24-70mm f/2.8 L (first version) real quick and buying this new little tamron beauty. The only reason I sold my Tamron 28-75mm is because I needed more wide-angle. But the sharpness of the Tamron was better than my current Canon 24-70 f/2.8 L lens, even wide open, and contrast was not bad too.

Can't wait for the first MTF charts en real life shots.

Upvote 0
D

D.Sim

dbase said:
I dont know why everyone still harps on about IS

I do not even think its necessary these days, the 5d mk II has good higher iso & no doubt
the 1dx and the upcoming mk III will exceed the previous versions

in any case, looking forward to this lens as on a budget. my guess is around 1600 at launch
Not everyone shoots on a 5DII or 1DX...

the MTF charts would be really interesting to look at... if its sharper than the original L, its a definite lens to consider..

Upvote 0
Mar 27, 2012
carlc said:
Has anyone seen a availability date? Then I am guessing it would take 30 days for a few reliable reviews to surface. The price of the Canon 24-70mm II and omission of IS has me interested in the Tamron offering.

Tamron settled on $1299, available April 26.

http://fstoppers.com/tamron-announces-availability-of-24-70mm-f2-8-di-vc-lens

With Canon 24-70 MkI selling new at $1399 from Amazon, the Tamron better at least match Canon's MkI to be successful.

Upvote 0

Ew

Mar 21, 2012
drjlo said:
carlc said:
Has anyone seen a availability date? Then I am guessing it would take 30 days for a few reliable reviews to surface. The price of the Canon 24-70mm II and omission of IS has me interested in the Tamron offering.

Tamron settled on $1299, available April 26.

http://fstoppers.com/tamron-announces-availability-of-24-70mm-f2-8-di-vc-lens

With Canon 24-70 MkI selling new at $1399 from Amazon, the Tamron better at least match Canon's MkI to be successful.

Considering that the current 28-75 2.8 does very well against the canon, I can't imagine that we would not see a good bump up overall.

Upvote 0
Stumbled over a set of pictures supposedly taken with this lens: http://www.flickr.com/photos/transcontinenta/sets/72157629441185336/with/6927282690/
Seems like it’s just a collection of the released samples, but it’s a nice overview and you can see them in their original resolution.

According to the exif, they’ve been through Lightroom and/or Photoshop, and the dates of the shots vary from August 2011 to February 2012. I don’t know if the performance could’ve changed between those dates, though.

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.