The 5D IV is so Yesterday

unfocused

Photos/Photo Book Reviews: www.thecuriouseye.com
Jul 20, 2010
Springfield, IL
www.thecuriouseye.com
Now that the 5DIV is out, it's time to start arguing about the next release/releases from Canon.

What body/bodies do you want to see released? When do you predict that will happen? What lenses? When?

It seems to me the most likely bodies coming up (in order of release) would be one or two new Rebels, a 6DII, a 7DII and a 5Ds/r II, with maybe a new SL2 thrown in somewhere. As far as lenses, I have no idea.

I think we will see some Rebels in the first quarter of 2017 (kind of a no-brainer there, I know) and likely a 6DII in the first or maybe second quarter of 2017. I'd love to see an SL2 sometime next year, just because I would hate to see Canon abandon the line, as I believe it still has a lot of appeal to those who want a light, small reflex mirror camera. I believe that with the new sensor technology, Canon may update the 5Ds and 7D lines sooner, rather than later, but that could still be 2018.

I'll go out on a limb and make a prediction for the SL2 that is based more on "want" rather than logic: An upscale version with the 80D 24 mp sensor, at least 19 pt (hopefully more) autofocus (all cross-type and multiple f8 points), 7 fps, weathersealing sufficient for hiking and camping, wifi, gps.

What do others think?

mikekx102

1DX Mark II =)
Aug 2, 2015
Western Australia
unfocused said:
Now that the 5DIV is out, it's time to start arguing about the next release/releases from Canon.

What body/bodies do you want to see released? When do you predict that will happen? What lenses? When?

It seems to me the most likely bodies coming up (in order of release) would be one or two new Rebels, a 6DII, a 7DII and a 5Ds/r II, with maybe a new SL2 thrown in somewhere. As far as lenses, I have no idea.

I think we will see some Rebels in the first quarter of 2017 (kind of a no-brainer there, I know) and likely a 6DII in the first or maybe second quarter of 2017. I'd love to see an SL2 sometime next year, just because I would hate to see Canon abandon the line, as I believe it still has a lot of appeal to those who want a light, small reflex mirror camera. I believe that with the new sensor technology, Canon may update the 5Ds and 7D lines sooner, rather than later, but that could still be 2018.

I'll go out on a limb and make a prediction for the SL2 that is based more on "want" rather than logic: An upscale version with the 80D 24 mp sensor, at least 19 pt (hopefully more) autofocus (all cross-type and multiple f8 points), 7 fps, weathersealing sufficient for hiking and camping, wifi, gps.

What do others think?

I don't think Canon would have developed a WIFI SD card for the 7D Mark ii if a Mark iii was soon to be released.

I'm interested in a 5D Mark 4.5 to be honest :p After the 5D Mark iv specs, I'm keen to get a 1DX Mark ii instead, but am yet to justify the $$.

Upvote 0
Nov 4, 2011
next body i want from canon? EOS MX-1

FF-sensor in as small a body as possible (target size and layout: Sony RX1R-II). clean, modern, non-retro styling.
no flapping mirror, no mech shutter, everything solid state. 100% vibration free, 100% silent.
Best in class IQ from ISO 100 to 12800.
Fast and precise AF system with Eye Control 2.0.
Zero lag, flicker-free EVF with 4k resolution.
fully articulated touch LCD.
built-in RT wireless flash commander. AF assist light.
intuitive EOS UI and firmware. few physical control points: shutter, 1 front wheel, 1 back wheel, 1 mode dial, no mono-functional dials like EV +/-
no 4k, no video out at all, no microphone jack, no zebras, no codec.

plus a smart lineup of compact, affordable, decent IQ lenses to go with it. no zeiss glass, no zeiss price.

simple, isn't it? just do it, Canon!

Upvote 0
AvTvM said:

FF-sensor in as small a body as possible (target size and layout: Sony RX1R-II). clean, modern, non-retro styling.
no flapping mirror, no mech shutter, everything solid state. 100% vibration free, 100% silent.
intuitive EOS UI and firmware. few physical control points: shutter, 1 front wheel, 1 back wheel, 1 mode dial, no mono-functional dials like EV +/-

plus a smart lineup of compact, affordable, decent IQ lenses to go with it. no zeiss glass, no zeiss price.

How much are you willing to pay for such a body?

Upvote 0

Sporgon

5% of gear used 95% of the time
CR Pro
Nov 11, 2012
Yorkshire, England
unfocused said:

What do others think?

I agree with you on the desire for a reflex that's the same size as the current SL1, but unfortunately I think the reason why we haven't seen an update is the M5, and I've a feeling that camera will put an end to the SL line.

Also on the 5Ds I wouldn't expect a II version anytime soon now the 30 MP 5DIV is out. After all, you have to quadruple the MP count to see much of a difference in output (in reality that is, not forums ) so I'd be dubious about how much difference there will be between those two current cameras.

On the other hand these manufacturers need to keep selling new cameras, and now that IQ, high ISO, AF performance, speed etc are all plateaued out I guess they are going to be only left with the MP card to play. So 120 MP may replace the 5Ds in time, but I wouldn't expect to see much of a difference in resolution, just a leap up in output size and a huge leap in file size.

Upvote 0
My baseless speculation for Canon's FF lineup for the next few years is:

* A 6D II next year. It goes upmarket from the 6D, and although doesn't compete with the 5D IV on the spec sheet, it will be good enough for many, especially for the price.
* An 8D as a new budget FF camera, probably not much of an improvement over the current 6D. Or, maybe Canon will continue selling the current 6D for the foreseeable future instead.
* A 1D C II. If it's 45MP, it can do 8K (this might be a bit ambitious), or at least FF 4K with "perfect" 2:1 downscaling, and it will double as a high resolution 1D-style body. 72MP might be a better bet, so it can do 2:1 downscaled 4K on a Super 35 crop, which is what Canon's cinema lenses need.
* A 5DS II. Higher resolution and more dynamic range, and maybe no with-AA filter model. It could use the same sensor as my hypothetical 1D C II.

Upvote 0

Maximilian

The dark side - I've been there
CR Pro
Nov 7, 2013
Germany
As for bodies:
I'd really like to see an SL1/100D successor, but I am not sure if we'll get one.
6DII and rebel/xxxD bodies seem to be a nobrainer for 2017, question is just "when?".
I have no clue.
If the rebel/xxxD will come in Q1 I'd suppose a 6DII for Q3

As for lenses:
Most of the zooms and consumer lenses got their refresh in the past.
Sigma/Tamron did put a huge pressure on primes lately.
So I suppose Canon will need to deliver something new at 50 and 85 mm, but when and what? :-\

I suppose the L versions will always come first before the not so expensive enthusiast lenses will follow.
So ahsanford, I and others will have to wait until at least 2018 for a new EF 50/1.x USM nonL withorwithoutIS :(
Will be interesting to see if Canon will add the "Blue Goo" BR element to other lenses than the 35LII.

Hopefully the EF-S and EF-M lenses will become some new high quality products, e.g. a 17-55/2.8 successor, but I don't think so. Canon is there too much consumer and price oriented.

Upvote 0
davidj said:

* A 6D II next year. It goes upmarket from the 6D, and although doesn't compete with the 5D IV on the spec sheet, it will be good enough for many, especially for the price.

6D was very expensive when launched but its sensor was a lot better than the 5DIII sensor. Lets have a repeat:

6DII too expensive at launch but sensor better than 5DIV sensor. Fololwed by rapid price drop to acceptable/good levels within 8 months. YES!

Upvote 0
I'm curious to see what the 6DII will bring. I expect it to be announced at the end of the year or early next year and go on sale early March, in time for spring. I'm fairly certain that I won't be buying it any time soon, am pretty much done gear wise. I can't see myself buying another DSLR. I'm starting to seriously think about ditching my 6D and just continue investing in the M line.

The M5 release could see the end of SL1 replacement. Or I could be wrong and maybe there's a chance we'll see it. Seems doubtful.

I wonder will we get an M10 upgrade to M20?

A new rebel for sure but tbh I can't keep up with the numbers and names of these things. It has 3 different names depending on where you live. Here in Japan it's Kiss X something. I don't really care either way what happens in this sector.

I do want to see more M lenses and some kind of premium M lens line that has a fast aperture. Heck they could go ahead and stick a red ring round it too!

Will we see more lenses with LCD displays next year too?

Upvote 0

Ozarker

Love, joy, and peace to all of good will.
CR Pro
Jan 28, 2015
The Ozarks
Memdroid said:
AvTvM said:

If Canon were to do what he personally wants his reason to exist would be gone.

Just think of him as Alice's Ralph Kramden. She has grown accustomed to his empty threats: "One of these days... POW!!! Right in the kisser!" or "BANG, ZOOM! Straight to the moon!", to which she usually replies, "Ahhh, shaddap!". (Wiki)

Upvote 0
Maiaibing said:
davidj said:

6D was very expensive when launched but its sensor was a lot better than the 5DIII sensor. Lets have a repeat:

6DII too expensive at launch but sensor better than 5DIV sensor. Fololwed by rapid price drop to acceptable/good levels within 8 months. YES!

Is it low ISO read noise (i.e., dynamic range) where the 6D sensor is a big improvement over the 5D III?

Don't the 80D, 1D X II and 5D IV have similar performance when normalised for sensor size and resolution? Given that the 1D X II and 5D IV have just been released and are going to be the top of the line Canons for the next four years, I doubt Canon will release a camera with noticeably improved sensor technology any time soon.

IglooEater said:
How about a 120mp 1Ds Mark IV? :) with the current popularity of zombie and other undead in entertainment these days, I'd bet resurecting a dead lineup with a killer camera could be popular :D

I thought about resurrecting that moniker in my speculation, but decided to kill two birds with one stone with a high resolution (but less than 120MP) 1D C II.

Upvote 0
davidj said:
Maiaibing said:
davidj said:

Is it low ISO read noise (i.e., dynamic range) where the 6D sensor is a big improvement over the 5D III?

Don't the 80D, 1D X II and 5D IV have similar performance when normalised for sensor size and resolution? Given that the 1D X II and 5D IV have just been released and are going to be the top of the line Canons for the next four years, I doubt Canon will release a camera with noticeably improved sensor technology any time soon.

IglooEater said:
How about a 120mp 1Ds Mark IV? :) with the current popularity of zombie and other undead in entertainment these days, I'd bet resurecting a dead lineup with a killer camera could be popular :D

I thought about resurrecting that moniker in my speculation, but decided to kill two birds with one stone with a high resolution (but less than 120MP) 1D C II.

Your other post is actually very similar to my line of thinking, actually. I said 1Ds IV because I can't see a new high-res body having less pixels than the 5Ds.
It would surprise me immensely to see an 8K dslr from canon in the next 5 years. Heck, they have yet to put an 8K cinema camera on the market. I'm not sure about the processing power needed to downsample 2:1 to 4K..

Also, have any idea what down-sampling does to moiré etc? The AA filter obviously won't help there. Downsampling must be fantastic for noise control (as compared to centre crop)

Upvote 0
Nov 4, 2011
Memdroid said:
AvTvM said:

I'd say USD/€ 3000. It should be a few hundred less expensive than a comparable mirrorslapper like 5D IV ... since mirror, prism and all the mechanical crap which is costly to assemble, adjust, quality control and service under warranty is gone.

Upvote 0
Jul 21, 2010
AvTvM said:
I'd say USD/€ 3000. It should be a few hundred less expensive than a comparable mirrorslapper like 5D IV ... since mirror, prism and all the mechanical crap which is costly to assemble, adjust, quality control and service under warranty is gone.

How well does your logic hold up when you compare pricing for the EOS M bodies to their concurrent, comparable dSLRs?

Upvote 0