The Lowest Prices Yet: Canon EOS 5DS Body $2649 and EOS 5DS R Body $3149

Canon Rumors Guy

Canon EOS 40D
CR Pro
Jul 20, 2010
Canada
www.canonrumors.com
HTML:
GetItDigital (99.6% approval) is selling the Canon EOS 5DS body at a great price of $2649 (Reg $3699) via ebay.</p>
<p><strong><a href="http://rover.ebay.com/rover/1/711-53200-19255-0/1?icep_ff3=2&pub=5574981434&toolid=10001&campid=5337723414&customid=&icep_item=151768628584&ipn=psmain&icep_vectorid=229466&kwid=902099&mtid=824&kw=lg" target="_blank">Canon EOS 5DS Body $2649</a></strong> (<a href="http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1119026-REG/canon_0581c002_eos_5ds_dslr_camera.html/bi/2466/kbid/3296" target="_blank">Reg $3699</a>)</p>
<p><strong><a href="http://rover.ebay.com/rover/1/711-53200-19255-0/1?icep_ff3=2&pub=5574981434&toolid=10001&campid=5337723414&customid=&icep_item=151768628584&ipn=psmain&icep_vectorid=229466&kwid=902099&mtid=824&kw=lg" target="_blank">Canon EOS 5DS R Body $3149</a></strong> (<a href="http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1119027-REG/canon_0582c002_eos_5ds_r_dslr.html/BI/2466/KBID/3296/DFF/d10-v21-t1-x604095" target="_blank">Reg $3899</a>)</p>
<p><em>*Note These are likely grey market items and may not qualify for a Canon USA warranty. Please check with the seller to see if they offer additional warranty.</em></p>
<p><!--more--></p>
<p class="fs16 OpenSans-600-normal upper product-highlights-header">PRODUCT HIGHLIGHTS</p>
<ul class="top-section-list" data-selenium="highlightList">
<li class="top-section-list-item">50.6 MP Full-Frame CMOS Sensor</li>
<li class="top-section-list-item">Dual DIGIC 6 Image Processors</li>
<li class="top-section-list-item">3.2″ 1.04m-Dot ClearView II LCD Monitor</li>
<li class="top-section-list-item">Full HD 1080p Video Recording at 30 fps</li>
<li class="top-section-list-item">61-Point High Density Reticular AF</li>
<li class="top-section-list-item">ISO 100-6400; 5 fps Continuous Shooting</li>
<li class="top-section-list-item">150,000-Pixel RGB+IR Metering Sensor</li>
<li class="top-section-list-item">User-Selectable Shutter Release Time Lag</li>
<li class="top-section-list-item">Anti-Flicker Compensation</li>
</ul>

Re: Great Deal: Canon EOS 5DS Body $2699

Maiaibing said:
Canon Rumors said:
GetItDigital (99.6% approval) is selling the Canon EOS 5DS body at a great price of $2699 (Reg $3699) via ebay.

And I thought my ~3.300$ 5DSR was a nice price. ???

US buyers can consider themselves lucky. What an amazing offer...

If only you could remove and sell your 10 cent "filter that cancels the filter" for $600.

Who knows.... Maybe I'm WAY off on the 10 cent estimate. Could be 2 cents.

Upvote 0
Jan 29, 2011

CarlMillerPhoto said:
$1000 off this soon is crazy, even for grey market.

Not really when you consider the very strong US Dollar against the very weak Japanese Yen, the actual Yen amount returned to Japan is similar, and the fact that all these new releases come with an early adopters premium.

But it is good news for us, markets will always dictate the true value of goods.

Upvote 0

sanj said:
A 3 year old 5d3 is at 2000 now. Just around $500 less. Does this mean that 5ds has not been anywhere near as popular as the mark 3?

I was thinking the same thing. I wonder if it's heavily discounted because of sales. Regardless the price has dropped $1000.00 since it's introduction which really wasn't that long ago. I do realize that it's grey market and the price would be lower but...

Upvote 0
Mar 25, 2011

Prices on gray market items are going to drop by a huge amount due to the current currency situation in China. Buyers paying in US dollars can get items for a very low price, and still pay ebay / paypal fees and make money. They are likely paying $2000 ea for them when bought in quantity.

This seems good for consumers, but lower Chinese prices hurt US manufacturers, and jobs will go away. Its a 2 edged Sword.

Upvote 0

unfocused

Photos/Photo Book Reviews: www.thecuriouseye.com
Jul 20, 2010
Springfield, IL
www.thecuriouseye.com

sanj said:
A 3 year old 5d3 is at 2000 now. Just around $500 less. Does this mean that 5ds has not been anywhere near as popular as the mark 3?

No...and Yes.

No, it doesn't mean that at all. Canon has not reduced its price. This represents grey market dealers taking advantage of the weak Yen/strong Dollar, coupled with a buyer's market – the economy is still sluggish and sellers are desperate. They are willing to accept less profit and try to make it up in volume. This pressure from grey market dealers will inevitably mean that authorized dealers will find ways around MAP in order to compete. Heck, they are already doing that with things like the CanonPriceWatch "street price" program and huge bundle deals with printers.

But, there is a "yes" in your question as well: Yes, the 5Ds is not as popular as the 5DIII. But then, it was never intended to be.

It is a niche market camera, not a general purpose camera. So, one should not expect sales to be as strong as the 5DIII. On the other hand, Canon has a tendency to under-promise and over-deliver. The 5Ds is proving to be much more usable for general purpose shooters than originally expected, as the comments from buyers on this forum demonstrate.

Camera buyers in the U.S. are living in very good times right now. The bubble will burst eventually, but we should enjoy it while it lasts. (And feel some sympathy for our fellow Canon fans in Europe)

Upvote 0

PureClassA

Canon since age 5. The A1
CR Pro
Aug 15, 2014
Mandeville, LA
Shields-Photography.com

Bingo.

Mt Spokane Photography said:
Prices on gray market items are going to drop by a huge amount due to the current currency situation in China. Buyers paying in US dollars can get items for a very low price, and still pay ebay / paypal fees and make money. They are likely paying $2000 ea for them when bought in quantity.

This seems good for consumers, but lower Chinese prices hurt US manufacturers, and jobs will go away. Its a 2 edged Sword.

Upvote 0

Mt Spokane Photography said:
One micro-economic question:
Given the present currency situation, if a customer buys a 5DSR (or whatever body) from a regular seller rather than in the grey market, where do the 500/800$ he pays "in excess" go?
Do they represent an extra profit for Canon, or for Amazon/Adorama... or fifty/fifty?
Or maybe they don't get any extra profit, because they bought futures or other financial intruments that "blocked" their exchange rate to previous levels?

Upvote 0

When I saw the title of the thread, my first thought was that Canon isn't seeing the kinds of sales on these cameras that they expected.

To confirm this I took a look at the FX markets and see that at most we've seen a 4 percent currency valuation change between JPY and USD. CHF to USD shifted at most 5 percent.

The 5D price drop is nearly 30 percent at this point. I'd be surprised, therefore, if the price change was the result of relative currency valuation changes.

camerabug said:
sanj said:

I was thinking the same thing. I wonder if it's heavily discounted because of sales. Regardless the price has dropped $1000.00 since it's introduction which really wasn't that long ago. I do realize that it's grey market and the price would be lower but...

Upvote 0
Oct 29, 2012
I wonder if sales may be slow due to plain uncertainty about what's happening with other products...we all suspect a 5D4 to be announced "soon", but I think a lot of people are sitting on the fence until we see what that camera's specs are, to say nothing of a 6D2 although I suspect we will wait quite a bit to hear on the latter.

I think a lot of people are hoping the 5d4 sits somewhere between the 5d3 and D800 in terms of resolution with some significant improvement in DR to close that gap. If it does, I predict it will sell very well, even to landscapers like me, and the 5DS will end up being a niche body.

As a landscape shooter, that's what I would like. If the 5d4 turns out to be a low MP, low light camera (that a lot of people also understandably want), then I will likely buy a 5DSR since it appears to be a step up (at least for what I do) from the 5D3 and I do want at least 24MP of resolution in a new body. So I am waiting.

I really hope Canon makes its plans clear pretty soon; I think a lot of people want to upgrade their 5d3's but don't need/want what is basically a very high MP version of it. I suspect quite a few of those customers may just end up trying the A72 or A7R2 due to not knowing what/when Canon will do, even though they really would prefer to stick with Canon.

Waiting to announce plans may sell a few more 5d3's, but it could also sell some A7's.....

Upvote 0