Zeiss Milvus 35mm f/1.4 Review (+ 35L II comparo) | Dustin

Hi everyone, I spent about a month with the new Zeiss Milvus 35mm f/1.4 prior to its full release here in North America and did a lot of direct comparisons with the Canon 35L II, a lens I consider to be Canon's best non-tele prime.

Here is the coverage:

Text Review: http://bit.ly/milvus1435DA
Video Review: http://bit.ly/milvus1435YT
Resolution Examination: http://bit.ly/milvus35v35LII
Bokeh and Rendering Examination: http://bit.ly/milvusvcanon2

It’s a beautiful bit of glass, and I really enjoyed shooting with it, but, as per usual, it is big, heavy, expensive, and MF only.

Upvote 0
Viggo said:
Excellent review as always, thanks for posting!

Ps: Now I REALLY miss my 100 f2.0 mp again. That bokeh, pop and color from Zeiss really is just awesome..

It's real world shooting that makes you appreciate Zeiss optical performance (but also reminds you that modern bodies aren't well suited for MF glass). I really enjoy them on Sony mirrorless bodies where MF is so easy.

Upvote 0

Khalai

In the absence of light, darknoise prevails...
May 13, 2014
Prague
Thanks Dustin. I've watched both of your video reviews (in fact, subscriber here). Very nicely done. But 35/1.4L II is cheaper, lighter and has AF. And sharpness or drawing differences between it and Milvus are really splitting hairs as you said yourself. For Nikonias though, that's a different story I guess :)

Personal note: I do not like Milvus lens design and I'm glad I managed to snap three classic Zeiss lenses second hand for a good price. Milvus counterparts of the lenses I have are bigger, heavier and more expensive. Especially 85/1.4. While it's undoubtedly worlds apart sharper, it's also double the price and weight :)

Upvote 0
Feb 15, 2015
TWI by Dustin Abbott said:
Viggo said:

Ps: Now I REALLY miss my 100 f2.0 mp again. That bokeh, pop and color from Zeiss really is just awesome..

It's real world shooting that makes you appreciate Zeiss optical performance (but also reminds you that modern bodies aren't well suited for MF glass). I really enjoy them on Sony mirrorless bodies where MF is so easy.
Put a matt focusing screen in. "Problem" solved. 1D, 5D, 6D, 7D +++ all available. Works great in my 5DsR.
And MF lenses are so much easier to use in MF than AF lenses.

Upvote 0

Khalai

May 13, 2014
Prague
Zeidora said:
TWI by Dustin Abbott said:
Viggo said:

Put a matt focusing screen in. "Problem" solved. 1D, 5D, 6D, 7D +++ all available. Works great in my 5DsR.
And MF lenses are so much easier to use in MF than AF lenses.

IIRC, Dustin uses 6D with Eg-S screen already...

Upvote 0

Khalai

May 13, 2014
Prague
Well, for my 21 Distagon, I could not care less. for 50 MPlanar, I can use VF reliably (with Eg-S) screen, however 85 Planar is a b***c! I have to use LV with Magic Lantern DoF toggle (to prevent focus shifts). Not the prettiest way, but simply reliable (at least for me). I'd love tilt screen to that, so I can hold camera at my chest though...

Upvote 0
Feb 15, 2015
May also have to do that I grew up on MF. Second, I never use AF, so have more practice than most people, I would surmise. I have no issues with any lenses from ultra wide (FF FE), 35/1.4 classic ZE, Otus 55 up to MPE65 and a bunch of others. Can't comment on 85, never used one ever. The trickiest is possibly the 300/2.8, because it is not meant for MF, but can be done with a bit of concentration and care. Not a high use lens for me anyway.

Upvote 0