1DX - Ai Servo Issue - Low light focus failure! Final Update 05/09/12

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well, it's glad to hear I'm not the only one with this AI servo issues. Loaded your camera config and magically the focus was spot on! I still have issues with AI servo failed to focus even on midday, the AF just stayed there like it was off, but the indicator says the AF is still on. Tried to track a person walking away from the camera (in mid-day, lots of lights and contrast) and it fails to track! I just can't believe it... The AF settings were "Case 1", AF points were automatic, and left everything else default. The AF engaged when I pressed the shutter button, and it took 1st frame spot on focus, but the rest of my burst were all OOF. I'm guessing there's a problem with the AUTO AF, it worked out fine with ASSIGNED AF points though. Quite a shocking discovery that day. Btw I'm using a 24-70 f/2.8L lens.

Upvote 0
S

Sh1n1ng Forc3

Sycotek said:
neuroanatomist said:
Sycotek said:
Anyway - since I hadn't heard from Canon, chasing it up every day I actually switched over to a D4 setup...

Just curious...what lenses are you routinely using with the D4, and are you pleased with the Nikon counterparts to the Canon lenses you used previously? Or by D4 did you mean 1D Mark IV?

Actual drive speed of the lenses on a probody feels to be as quick as the L grade ef ultrasonics, if not a little quicker (again that could be the fact they are quieter and the af on the d4 (in my experience) is just quicker overall)

This seems odd to me as every major head-to-head comparison between the 1DX and D4 reach the exact opposite conclusion that the 1DX is much faster in focusing etc. Not trying to accuse you of anything just curious if this has to do more with the lenses you primarily shoot with. Also as someone who used to shoot with Nikon pro bodies myself I can say that the Nikon 24-70 is simply amazing. Can't wait to try out the new Canon 24-70.

Upvote 0
Sh1n1ng Forc3 said:
Sycotek said:
neuroanatomist said:
Sycotek said:
Anyway - since I hadn't heard from Canon, chasing it up every day I actually switched over to a D4 setup...

Just curious...what lenses are you routinely using with the D4, and are you pleased with the Nikon counterparts to the Canon lenses you used previously? Or by D4 did you mean 1D Mark IV?

Actual drive speed of the lenses on a probody feels to be as quick as the L grade ef ultrasonics, if not a little quicker (again that could be the fact they are quieter and the af on the d4 (in my experience) is just quicker overall)

This seems odd to me as every major head-to-head comparison between the 1DX and D4 reach the exact opposite conclusion that the 1DX is much faster in focusing etc. Not trying to accuse you of anything just curious if this has to do more with the lenses you primarily shoot with. Also as someone who used to shoot with Nikon pro bodies myself I can say that the Nikon 24-70 is simply amazing. Can't wait to try out the new Canon 24-70.

Don't get Me wrong - in good light the 1DX/5D3 AF (esp AI Servo) is sensational - in the conditions i shoot - eg receptions halls, the 1DX/5D3 struggles where the D4 just works. The fact i could make it fail in broad daylight by focusing a grey object in single shot together with the other issue of 3sec af lock when using a flash mounted was the final nail.

For the record - we originally isolated my set of lenses when I sat with canon cps and we were trading bodies and lenses with nil effect.

Not saying the switch over has been smooth - nikon have their own set of problems - but nothing i cant live with.

I can't for the life of me understand why the camera is rated to -2ev though?! if canon themselves tell me its -0.5 ev at 10fps. The issue isn't the 10fps its the modification to the focusing system, ie. it wont focus - when 12 fps is engaged as accurately or as fast as when 10 fps is enabled. I'm very surprised this was kept quiet through the Olympics - i don't see how the shooters there weren't affected.

Upvote 0
Indeed this post is excellent! Although I am an ex Nikon D4 shooter and a little disapointed with 1Dx performance in low light..I had a lot of expectation! I switched to Canon for tones and for f1.2 lenses...but it really comes short in low light focus and Dynamic range (with the D4 I could have shot 2 stops under(i'd do this to get better shutter speed) and still get great quality when adjusting exposure)...not feasible with 1Dx...

Focus really is harsh in Low light...TRIED LOTS of settings Servo / one shot...etc but really light years from D4...I guess I'll get used to it.

Upvote 0
X

xtralight

bdunbar79 said:
Odd. I routinely shoot in low light sports, no slower than 1/800s with a pair of 1D X's and have had no AF problems that I've noticed. ISO typically up to 10,000. I shoot only in AI Servo mode.

For my part, I was shooting at ISO 12800, f/2.8 and 1/160s. Target has very low contrast. My D800E locked more times than my 1Dx...

Upvote 0
The differences I've noticed between D4 and 1DX is the high ISO noise reduction and printing capabilities. The other issue is that I cannot compare which camera locked focus more times, because I have never had my 1DX not lock focus. If you are in such poor lighting that you need to set your shutter that low, aperture that wide, and ISO that high, then who really cares? Why would you even shoot in that situation and expect anything more? No camera in the world will AF very well, so you cannot say it's just the 1DX. The D4 misses just as much. Even in the darkest sports venues, I can easily shoot at 1/640s, f/2.8, and ISO 6400 on a 1DX, and not underexpose. The beautful thing is that if I do EC, I can raise the ISO to 10,000, apply 50% NR, and print a beautiful 8 x 10. If I have to go darker than that, I won't shoot or I'll use a flash.

When you say your D800E locked more times than your 1DX, did you have both at the same time alternating each camera? Was anyone in this thread shooting with both at the same time at the same event, one in each hand?

Why in every other thread "the camera doesn't matter" unless it's a Nikon vs. Canon issue, when there's a problem, suddenly it's the camera again? Oh you guys keep me so entertained on this site. Keep it up! Meanwhile I'm going to keep shooting with my 1DX's.

Upvote 0
X

xtralight

bdunbar79 said:
The differences I've noticed between D4 and 1DX is the high ISO noise reduction and printing capabilities. The other issue is that I cannot compare which camera locked focus more times, because I have never had my 1DX not lock focus. If you are in such poor lighting that you need to set your shutter that low, aperture that wide, and ISO that high, then who really cares? Why would you even shoot in that situation and expect anything more? No camera in the world will AF very well, so you cannot say it's just the 1DX. The D4 misses just as much. Even in the darkest sports venues, I can easily shoot at 1/640s, f/2.8, and ISO 6400 on a 1DX, and not underexpose. The beautful thing is that if I do EC, I can raise the ISO to 10,000, apply 50% NR, and print a beautiful 8 x 10. If I have to go darker than that, I won't shoot or I'll use a flash.

When you say your D800E locked more times than your 1DX, did you have both at the same time alternating each camera? Was anyone in this thread shooting with both at the same time at the same event, one in each hand?

Why in every other thread "the camera doesn't matter" unless it's a Nikon vs. Canon issue, when there's a problem, suddenly it's the camera again? Oh you guys keep me so entertained on this site. Keep it up! Meanwhile I'm going to keep shooting with my 1DX's.

I care about shooting in very low light. That is why I invest in a 1DX. I wanted the top of Canon. I do not need you to care about my type of photography. My post is about sharing to others, especially to the OP, that I have the same problem as him. I cannot use a flash, I wanted the natural lightning.

Yes, I had both cameras with the same type of lens: my 1DX(latest firmware) with the new Canon 24-70 F2.8 MkII and my D800E with a Nikon 24-70G f2.8. They were used at the same moment, with the same subject.

Look, if the 1DX delivers for you, I glad that it does. For me, I just hope that I won't have to shoot to often in very, very low light.

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.